PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

point1234
05-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Took the boat out today to help to get the break in hours worked on. Got a whole 6.9 hours on it so far. Almost there. Everything going good, haveing a great day. Started with a full tank of gas from the dealer when i picked up the boat. So today I was just getting to the pier to get off the lake for the day. And the boat dies. Got it started and got to about 10 feet from the peir and dies again. Threw a line to someone on the pier and they pulled me in. The gas gauge was getting low so iam just thinking that i just ran out of gas. The gas gauge was not on empty like you see in a car. but it was getting close about 2 lines about empty. iam just thinking that I ran out of gas.

88 PS190
05-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Could be, first thing to do is check and see if adding some fuel fixes it.

Start easy eh?

If it does see if there is a way to reset the zero on your sender, or guage.

Cloaked
05-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Took the boat out today to help to get the break in hours worked on. Got a whole 6.9 hours on it so far. Almost there. Everything going good, haveing a great day. Started with a full tank of gas from the dealer when i picked up the boat. So today I was just getting to the pier to get off the lake for the day. And the boat dies. Got it started and got to about 10 feet from the peir and dies again. Threw a line to someone on the pier and they pulled me in. The gas gauge was getting low so iam just thinking that i just ran out of gas. The gas gauge was not on empty like you see in a car. but it was getting close about 2 lines about empty. iam just thinking that I ran out of gas.Did you put more gas in the fuel tank (not to be a smartass)?

bigmac
05-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Took the boat out today to help to get the break in hours worked on. Got a whole 6.9 hours on it so far. Almost there. Everything going good, haveing a great day. Started with a full tank of gas from the dealer when i picked up the boat. So today I was just getting to the pier to get off the lake for the day. And the boat dies. Got it started and got to about 10 feet from the peir and dies again. Threw a line to someone on the pier and they pulled me in. The gas gauge was getting low so iam just thinking that i just ran out of gas. The gas gauge was not on empty like you see in a car. but it was getting close about 2 lines about empty. iam just thinking that I ran out of gas.I hope that's what it is, but it reminds me of when I had about 6.9 hours on my MasterCraft. I started having an increasing amount of RPM sagging one afternoon until that night about 10PM the engine died and restarted, then died again exactly as you described above. My dealer replaced my fuel pump the next day and it's worked great ever since.

It is important to note that the in-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel they pump. Reprotedly, running out of gas CAN cause them to overheat and die. So, I'd be worried that your engine died because of a bad fuel pump, and if it's NOT a bad fuel pump, I'd be worried that running out of gas damaged it.

At any rate, the thing to do (obviously) is refill the fuel tank, start 'er up and see how she goes. Hopefully, all will be well and I'm just being an alarmist.

rabooze
05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Sadly that sounds like a fuel pump and not just running out of gas. I ahd my fuel pump die on me last August and it was essentially the same experience. Of course, my boat had 300+ hrs on it, but what can you do. I have been told running the boat down below a 1/4 tank wears on the pump and leads to it failing.

point1234
05-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Yah today iam going to put more gas in it and give a try. I think that its just out of gas. thanks a bunch

peason
05-07-2006, 05:02 PM
You may want to check out the fuel pump - there have been several problems with letting the gas tank get too low and it causing the fuel pump to go bad. Search for other posts. I too had troubles with my fuel pump the first summer we had the boat - changed it and all is good!

Cloaked
05-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I luVs this thread.... :uglyhamme

point1234
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Put the boat in the water again today. And yes i filled it up with gas. And itwas all good. Got 10 hours on her and now going to head on down to the dealer to get the 10 hour check done.

thanks for the help

ski_king
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Remember to complain about the gas gauge that dosn't read right.

I am sure you have a list, I hope it is short.

sand2snow22
05-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Point, if you look in the bildge where the center drain plug is located you can find the plastic gas tank. Helps to see how full (when filling) and in your case how empty 8p your tank is....

PapaJoe
05-08-2006, 01:25 AM
My gas gage read "late"......

1/8 a tank was really bone dry......

So, I did run of of gas just before the neddle hit the E line one time......

So, I have them adjust it to 1/8 a tank read as E.........

Never had a problem since.....

JOE

point1234
05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
yep took the boat to the dealer tonight. To have the 10 hour check up.
and yes i mentioned about the gas gauge and they said that they would check it out. And yes the list is very short.

My face hurts from smiling so much over the weekend.

skitilldark
05-08-2006, 11:39 PM
I've run out of gas 5 times in my X-9. The difference has usually been stupidity, but it took a couple of times before I realized that the fuel gauge will read differently with and without ballast....duh. Anyway, every time I've run out, my guage is reading slightly less than a quarter of a tank.

Welcome to the boards by the way.

sand2snow22
05-09-2006, 03:33 AM
My face hurts from smiling so much over the weekend.

You've caught the MC feeling........

sizzler
05-09-2006, 03:41 AM
many more smiling weekends ahead.....

atlfootr
05-09-2006, 08:54 AM
I luVs this thread.... :uglyhammeEveryone on here sounds like an "Ann Landers" don't ya think.

TMCNo1
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Dear MasterCraft Abby,
Is there a home remedy for getting rid of the burning sensation when I empty my ballast tanks in the driveway?
Please help!
Messed up in Muckaluck!

jraben8
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Dear MasterCraft Abby,
Is there a home remedy for getting rid of the burning sensation when I empty my ballast tanks in the driveway?
Please help!
Messed up in Muckaluck!

Why, yes there is. Go back to the lake and refill. Do not come back home immediately either.

bigmac
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Look at this thread. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8787&page=2) for relevant info.

Look at this post from MYMC (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=183482&postcount=17) in particular. It's relevant info about the running-out-of-gas scenario.