PDA

View Full Version : 89 pro star help!

madison
05-06-2006, 01:24 AM
hi all!! short story... dad bought the boat when I was in high school.. brand new.. used it every day from 89-95..

I went off to college and elsewhere.. parents kept the boat.it sat and didnt get used...

I come back and boat needs help.. rebuilt the motor.. and she ran like a champ..

so forward to now.. boat sat again..
the motor was seized (only had 4-5 hrs on rebuild)
so I pulled the plugs and added marvel mystery oil.. waited a few days and I turned the motor over by hand with a wrench... that was great!!

added a new starter,solenoid..and ignition switch.. motor now turns over fine..
oh and I rebuilt the carb..

now I cant get any spark at the points or plugs.. I have changed the coil,condenser and points.. I used a test light at the points and I have power there.. I even opened the points up a tad to see if there was a spark there and notta!

does anyone have any more ideas??

thanks!!

madison

mt dora ,florida

TMCNo1
05-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Check and see if the kill switch clip is on and see if kill switch is even working. 3 years ago I did the electronic conversion on my '89 and after it ran for 2 hours on the lake, it would turn over but would not start. The kill switch had gone bad and was in the open position with the clip on.

madison
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I took the safety switch out and connected the two wires just until I get it running.. once its running I will re connect the safety switch.. I have been troubleshooting for weeks!

thanks
madison

erkoehler
05-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Where are you located?

madison
05-07-2006, 09:51 AM
mt dora,fl just north of orlando

jsonova99
05-07-2006, 10:04 AM
mt dora,fl just north of orlando

I was just up there last weekend, let me think about this for a little while and see if i can come up with anything.

pilot02
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I was just up there last weekend, let me think about this for a little while and see if i can come up with anything.

Check the voltage at the coil and a complete circuit through the points. Make sure you have 12 volts while cranking (should be 9-10 while running if mem serves me correct.) If you have voltage and the points are completely opening and closing, disconnect the coil lead at the cap and see if you can get a spark between it and the block. If yes and still no spark at the plugs, check the rotor button and the cap. If no, recheck voltage at the points and verify the distributor shaft has no play in it (side to side). I'd also try replacing the points and condensor with the old pieces and see if there's a difference. Highly unlikely but may have gotten a bad condensor.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-07-2006, 10:42 AM
now I cant get any spark at the points or plugs.. I have changed the coil,condenser and points.. I used a test light at the points and I have power there.. I even opened the points up a tad to see if there was a spark there and notta!
Have you adjusted the point gap aka dwell setting? The spark occurs when the points open......you would have power to them but no spark if they remain closed. The effect is the same if any part of the primary circuit is grounded out. A worn wire or the connection to the points or condenser touching a part of the distributor asside from the insulated connection. Also, you should not see much of a spark at the points since they are part of the primary, low voltage, circuit of the ignition system.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I took the safety switch out and connected the two wires just until I get it running.. once its running I will re connect the safety switch.. I have been troubleshooting for weeks!
After reading the rest of the story.....try disconnecting these wires. I'm not sure how your switch is wired but on some, the switch works by grounding out the primary ignition circuit......the switch should be in the open position to have the engine running.

madison
05-07-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks for the ideas!! I have opened the points just enough and still get no spark there.. tried it in the dark even ..and no spark... but I do get power there..

I will give an update soon! will try these ideas tommorow afternoon!

thanks again!

madison

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Don't spend a lot of time looking for a spark at the points. They are simply an on/off switch for the low voltage in the primary circuit. If the condenser is doing its job well, there shouldn't be much if any sparking going on at the points.