PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good "rewards" credit card?? Ideas please

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I am currently looking for a new credit card as mine no longer serves a purpose. I want the best "bang for my buck" on a card that offers "rewards". I dont fly, so I dont need air miles. I wont buy a new car, so I dont need a GM card. I currently use an insurance co discount card, but I am switching insurance compaines. So what is a good card to reap benefits from? something that earns $$$ as you use it. I refuse to pay an annual fee, and I dont care what the interest rate is because I pay the card off in full every month. I dont max out cards, I live within my means. But I like the idea of using it for grocerys, gas, anything to earn rewards or cash or rebates. I want the best I can get. What are the options?? what do you recommend? :confused:

I am all ears!!!!! :wavey:

Thanks!!! :)

PendO
05-05-2006, 12:09 PM
We have a wells fargo card ... it has an annual fee, but every year we just ask for the fee to be waived, and they do so. The points can be used for various things (gift certificates, plane tickets, etc ...) also I think I have an AT&T Mastercard that has good rewards, but I never use it, so I am not sure.

BigBarney
05-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Cabelas' Visa card rewards you 1-2% (depending on purchases) in Cabelas bucks that you can use to buy from them. I hunt, so that works out great for me. If you don't you could still buy outdoor gear (including marine stuff). Bass Pro is similar.

My wife loves her Discover card. I think that she earns 2% redeemable aginst your bill or they send a check. And she likes her Disney card to earn for WDW vacations. And she likes her Gap card to earn for clothes. Hmmm, gotta go - she and I need to talk :mad:

east tx skier
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
My MBNA card has a point per dollar rewards plan. Can be redeemed for airline miles, hotels, cash rebates (not 1:1), or all sorts of nifty products through MBNA. I've not redeemed anything yet, but I find myself browsing their site for toys every few months. They don't expire for 5 years, so you can rack up some pretty good points it seems.

6ballsisall
05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
We bank with USbank. Our debit/credit card with them gives you 1% back on all purchases. We write maybe 10 checks a year and use this for everything. Mind you it's really a debit card but it works well for us.

Granite_33
05-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Could go with the Overtons Visa.
From the website:

Earn Overton's Points on Every Purchase
With the new Overton's Platinum Visa, you'll earn points towards Overton's Rewards Certificates every time you use your card. Use it to make purchases at Overton's or any of the 21 million locations where Visa is accepted and save at Overton's!

You'll receive 2 points for every $1 in purchases at Overton's. Plus, you'll earn 1 point for every $1 in purchases at all other Visa merchants. Every time you earn 2,000 points, you'll automatically receive a $20 Reward Certificate on your statement to use towards your next purchase at Overton's. It couldn't be easier!

Given what this says though there might be other more lucrative card offers out there.

bcampbe7
05-05-2006, 12:40 PM
We just have a Discover card, along with our bank card.
Not sure what they offer. We do get some cash back.

Footin
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
I currently have a US Airways Visa and probably have 10 free round trips with them so it is probably time for me to change also. I have been looking around and the American Express blue card (I think)has some nice stuff you can get with their point system.

Diesel
05-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Capital One Miles.

Absolute best customer service I have ever had. Always on your side and very easy to contact.

TRBenj
05-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I have a Chase PerfectCard that Ive had good luck with. It earns 1% cash back on all purchases, and 3% cash back on gas. For the first 3 months, it earned 6% cash back on gas. The rebate comes right off your statement, and there is no annual fee.

I switched the reward system on the card to one that doesnt come off my statement- I have to request the rebate, and they send me a check. The rewards are a little better on this program- I earn 5% cash back on all gas, grocery store, drug store and maybe a few other types of purchases. It earns 1% on all other types.

There are a few cards that offer this type of reward system, another good one is the Citi Dividend card.

ski_king
05-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I have a AAA Visa and it discounts all gas purchases by 5 percent. Not bad getting a 15 cent a gallon discount these days.

krseitz
05-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I use a Marriott Rewards Card. You get 1 point for every dollar (5 points if you spend the money at a Marriott property). There is an annual fee. However, the Rewards points can be used for just about everything from nights at a Marriott property to Best Buy gift certificates. It's bought me a digital camera, IPOD, etc. If you travel at all, this card is the way to go.

Hoff1
05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I have a Citi Dividends card. Get 5% on gas and groceries and 1% on everything else. Seems like I have to call and tell them to add my extra percentage for the gas/groceries, but it's worth it. I've been using it for less than 3 months and I've racked up probably $50 worth.

TMCNo1
05-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Got a Chase BP Visa, no fee with rebates of 5% on gas, 3% on restaurant purchases/lodging/airlines, 2% everything else and everytime I get $25 in rebates, I get a $25 BP gas card debit card and save for boating season or for reunion trips. Rebate cards are good for 1 year from date of issue.

Ric
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
GM card is great and it typically saves me a grand or so off my final negotiated price on a new car deal
I had a usa waterski MBNA card which supposedly rewards USAwaterski.... I pay my balance each month, but those bastages at mbna make the due date a moving target... messing up my simple world of paying bills ONLY 2x a month.. I told them to keep it. :rant:
ump since you dont fly nor do you buy new, why dont you check into the amex or other cards which reward you points into an investment account that can grow? I know nothing about them but their ads are enticing. I'm sure it's not alot, but it's better than a teapot, a knife set or a one way ticket to seattle after you spend ten thousand on your card.... ;)

Cloaked
05-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Consider what state from which a particular card is issued. In Arkansas for example, they have a state law with a max interest rate at a relative low number. That alone will suffice for certain aspects of card gambling.

Nationally named cards tend to avoid issuance and governance from states as such. Bank or credit union issued cards from a well governed consumer protected state are in popular demand for those aware of consumer advocacy.

Search engine a particular state's bank cards for more accurate details.

Jerseydave
05-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I have a HESS VISA card that I use only for fuel. For the first 90 days, you get a 10% rebate. After that it gives you a 5% rebate. This is only if you buy gas at HESS stations. Works good for me, as I spend about $700-800 in fuel each month. Saved me hundreds of dollars last year alone!

tommcat
05-08-2006, 09:29 AM
i have a Cabelas card strictly so i can get free stuff.

jbfootin
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I have the Chase rewards card. 5% on gas, groceries, and drugstores, 1% on everything else. They offer gift certs for restaurants and stores or simply a check back to you.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
DISCOVER CARD. About 99% of the places we go take it, and we get $$$$$ CASH back or applied directly to the bill. We also have a visa as the back up for the one place every 6 months that won't take it. ALL fuel stops and food go on it. And let me tell you, the cash backs gets me a tank or two worth every few months. (Keep in mind we use ALOT of gas and eat often)
And disputes are handled GREAT. Even if it is something you forgot:o you bought. No problem.
No annual fee, cash back is the way to be.
Oh, and the offer the cards with a picture of the "stars and stripes" on the front.:D

I am currently looking for a new credit card as mine no longer serves a purpose. I want the best "bang for my buck" on a card that offers "rewards". I dont fly, so I dont need air miles. I wont buy a new car, so I dont need a GM card. I currently use an insurance co discount card, but I am switching insurance compaines. So what is a good card to reap benefits from? something that earns $$$ as you use it. I refuse to pay an annual fee, and I dont care what the interest rate is because I pay the card off in full every month. I dont max out cards, I live within my means. But I like the idea of using it for grocerys, gas, anything to earn rewards or cash or rebates. I want the best I can get. What are the options?? what do you recommend? :confused:

I am all ears!!!!! :wavey:

Thanks!!!

05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Sounds good.

Looks like the Discover Gas card would benefit me the most. I seem to spend alot on gas with the boat and truck, and a 1970 Buick Skylark with a 350 4 bbl carb :eek: that baby will pass just about anything but a gas station :D plus it works for 1% on other purchases as well.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Hmmm, I never heard of a Discover "gas card"....:confused:

LakePirate
05-08-2006, 11:15 PM
This is some additional information you might want to check out before getting a new card.

Clark Howard (http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/7/40/)

This guy is so cheap that they named the Dollar seats at Turner Field the Clark Howard Section.

Leroy
05-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I have two cards that every one in my family uses.

Cash Back Discover will give you 1% on all purchases so for say $3000/month that is $30/month or $360/year.

Discover also has a Gas Card that pays 5% back on all gas purchases. So our $500/month gas bill gives us $25/month refund or $300/year in cash. That card has restrictions on the regular purchases which is why we need two.

So we have two discover cards and Visa and Mastercard as back up. no annual fee on any and have never paid a fee or anything to any of these guys.....when I travel on business and use these cards it gets even better.

05-09-2006, 08:40 AM
This is some additional information you might want to check out before getting a new card.

Clark Howard (http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/7/40/)

This guy is so cheap that they named the Dollar seats at Turner Field the Clark Howard Section.
You may call a guy like that "cheap", I would call him "Master". ;) LOL! I am pretty frugal with the dollar myself. I spend it on things I enjoy,but I am tighter than two coats of paint. I bi*ch at people for using the brakes on my vehicles too much. :o I tell them to get off the brake, and get off the gas. learn to coast!!!! I have that down to a science. Lets save gas money on the road, so we can use it on the lake!!!

Thanks Lakey! :wavey: Thanks to everyone for the help!!! :) I am still listening incase any other ideas are out there.... by all means keep the discussion going.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
From that last description, you need to apply for an Amex Black....:rolleyes:

05-09-2006, 09:20 AM
From that last description, you need to apply for an Amex Black....:rolleyes:
SO I can buy a million dollar Yacht or something with the elite rich crowd?? I can show that card off at parties to impress gold digging women :uglyhamme

Where do I apply WFT? ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I am sure you could ask Jerry Seinfeld he has one. But I do believe you DON't apply for it. "It" figures out if YOU'RE worth it...

SO I can buy a million dollar Yacht or something with the elite rich crowd?? I can show that card off at parties to impress gold digging women :uglyhamme

Where do I apply WFT? ;)