PDA

View Full Version : sub and amp installs in 197's

bepresto
05-04-2006, 07:04 PM
does anyone have any good suggestions on were to put a sub box and two amps' in a 197. I have an appointment to install two infinity kappa perfect 10" subs, a punch 600 watt amp and an alpine 4-channel amp to the stock clarion speakers. The only place in the boat that I can see that this stuff will go, will be under the pass/observer seat and take up most of my storage room.

please help with any suggestions.

thank you.

kalanic
05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I had the same kind of problem. I have a X-10 but I didn't want to lose storage space so I installed my amp to inside wall of compartment. Not sure how much space you have.

Ric
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
whew I could write a book on this one
remember there is a hole for a 10" in the foot board on the drivers side under the dash
it's for a free air or infinite baffle sub like our JL subs

look at my thread (not another amplifier (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8566&highlight=amplifier) thread, thread) and see my hangups with what I've done in mine so far

then look at deisels boat or diesels 209 (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3189) thread for some killer installs on a 209 which has a bit more room than us but will give you some ideas

bepresto
05-04-2006, 07:36 PM
I do not have a hole in the foot board for a sub. i have a heater vent coming out there, and the other thing is, the subs are not free-air subs, but were free.

tex
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Call Grand Prairie Audio at (972) 263-6633. They will tell you how to do it. They do alot of TX Mastercraft's work. They are going to put another sub and amp in mine later this summer. They know MC's well.

rodltg2
05-04-2006, 07:49 PM
move the heater vent, use the kick panel for a sub and put a box behind it... when i had my 197 i had this....

rodltg2
05-04-2006, 07:50 PM
this..............

rodltg2
05-04-2006, 07:51 PM
and this..... 10" , 1 " 8" tube and 1 6"bazooka..

jmyers
05-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I had the same kind of problem. I have a X-10 but I didn't want to lose storage space so I installed my amp to inside wall of compartment. Not sure how much space you have.
What is that amp screwed into? :confused: Isn't that the side of the boat? :eek: I am having another amp put in tommorow and I was going to have a panel built on that side.

rodltg2
05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
dont worry about using a panel. remember. mc are built with thicker fiberglass. just screw it in.. make sure they are at least 2 1/2" to hold the amp in place when you hit wakes..

Ric
05-05-2006, 01:55 AM
dont worry about using a panel. remember. mc are built with thicker fiberglass. just screw it in.. make sure they are at least 2 1/2" to hold the amp in place when you hit wakes..
apparantly I am not the only jackass here :noface:

Ric
05-05-2006, 01:57 AM
I do not have a hole in the foot board for a sub. i have a heater vent coming out there, and the other thing is, the subs are not free-air subs, but were free.
I am willing to bet that you do have a hole in your kick panel in an 03 but they are all covered with carpet from the factory and you must cut away the carpet..... it's designed for a free air woofer though...

mtripper
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I have an 02 197 I put a sub in last year with tips from here. After I took off the kick panel under the drivers dash there was a cutout for both my heater vent and a sub. I just had to cut the carpet away and screw them in. Worked like a champ. Tight working space though.

Diesel
05-05-2006, 10:39 AM

I don't think he is talking about your install. I think he is refering to kalanic's amp install which is mounted on the outer wall of the boat. Do not screw directly into the outer wall it is less than 1/2" thick and will go right through the outside of the boat. The passenger side walk through wall does have a piece of HDPE which is glassed in to mount amps and such but a 2 1/2" screw sounds too long. I guess it depends upon how thick the mounting tabs are on the amp.

To mount the amp to the inner hull side you can adhere a pannel, make a steel amp rack that mounts to the rub rail/floor, or use aircraft stand offs. I used the stand offs to mount my pod in this THREAD (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3189&highlight=diesel%27s)

jraben8
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
2 1/2" screws... Man, you guys were making me very nervous.

jmyers
05-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Rod! :mad: Your just being a Malibu owner now! :rolleyes:

ntidsl
05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
yeah dude...some people think you are serious...its hard to read scarcasm on here...

kalanic
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM
What is that amp screwed into? :confused: Isn't that the side of the boat? :eek: I am having another amp put in tommorow and I was going to have a panel built on that side.
The amp is mounted on 1/4" plexi-glass that is screwed into the inside of the rub rail.

Ric
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
The amp is mounted on 1/4" plexi-glass that is screwed into the inside of the rub rail.
I like that idea
anything supporting the bottom edge of the plexiglas or is it forced into the side of the carpet due to the angle?

kalanic
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
For the botton side I used Industrial Strength Velcro to the fiberglass & plexi. Used Gorilla glue to adhere. Seems really strong! I followed Quincyfirefighter's idea, with a little modification. Yes you are right about the angle though, I believe it does help.

jmyers
05-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I had my third amp installed on Friday and they put it on the back side of the seat and the Sirius next to it so nothing is mounted to the left side! Plus it is up behind the glve box, so you can't see it and is not in the way. Now that the "10 is on a separate amp it is too much power for it, and I have to get a box made to fit in the current spot behind the drivers foot board! Always something! :rolleyes: