PDA

View Full Version : Need new valve seals I think, where to buy?

hz900
05-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I think I will be needing to replace the valve seals pretty soon. I pulled the plugs the other day to change them and noticed the old plugs were pretty covered in oil after sitting for a couple weeks of no use. Last time that happenned to me with a car it was the valve seals.

So what do I need to purchase? I can't just walk into the local autozone and say I need "x" for a 1992 mastercraft because its not exactly in their computer. I've got the 285 HP engine, is it the same as the old windsor 351 ford V8?

JimN
05-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Tell them you have a 351 W motor and they may ask for casting numbers but I doubt that there is a lot of difference. You'll need a valve spring compressor and I would recommend getting a manual so you have the specs and instructions for setting the valves.

Do you have much smoke at startup?

martini
05-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Instead of Autozone, you should try a machine shop that deals with engines all day. They will have the seals for those heads and you won't need to use a "car" crossover reference. They will also be cheaper.

hz900
05-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Tell them you have a 351 W motor and they may ask for casting numbers but I doubt that there is a lot of difference. You'll need a valve spring compressor and I would recommend getting a manual so you have the specs and instructions for setting the valves.

Do you have much smoke at startup?

Thanks thats the info I needed. I have done valve seals and set valves before in car engines, I do it the old fashion way with the valve cover off and the engine running.

Don't know about the smoke at startup, I haven't gotten by the closest MC dealer to buy a plunger thingy to run the boat in the driveway (I just bought it late feb). Only time its been ran is in the water. But when I had it summerized they did say it was smoking a little, but I wanted to run it a couple times to see if it would clear up or if it was the seals.

As far as the machine shop idea, I don't have a machine shop around here I would trust with a go-cart. I got a friend with a mechanic shop I'll probably order them through.

JimN
05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Don't buy a Fake-a Lake- your motor will draw more water than this will supply. Go to a hardware store and get about 10'-15' of clear vinyl tubing, a couple of hose clamps and a 20 gallon garbage can. Remove the raw water hose from the hull side of the oil cooler (or raw water pump) and attach the clear vinyl tubing, so the other end can go in the garbage can to draw water into the engine. You can also do a search here for other posts about running these boats on the trailer.