PDA

View Full Version : Idle/Re-Start Threshold

PeteS
05-04-2006, 11:00 AM
What is the point in time when idling the boat will use less gas then shutting down and re-starting the engine when not in motion? Five minutes? Ten minutes?

Understanding that starting the engine on a carb'd boat consumes a certain amount of fuel, I'm looking for a technical approach to the question.

With gas prices where they are, we're all looking for more ways to save fuel. I've typically always used a five minute rule -- if the boat is going to be idling, when not in motion, for longer than five minues, I shut off the engine.

Sorry if there has already been a thread on this topic.

JimN
05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
You're in Detroit and you have to ask us? Wow! :D

Just kidding. A friend of mine in PHX (who worked for GM in V8 powertrain development for ~25 years) has a shop and there are service tips on his website. He recommends 3 minutes for most new cars but boats use more gas than they do, so it's your call. If you restart it frequently, eventually the starter could fail from the extra duty so it all evens out at some point.

PeteS
05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
You're in Detroit and you have to ask us? Wow! :D

Just kidding. A friend of mine in PHX (who worked for GM in V8 powertrain development for ~25 years) has a shop and there are service tips on his website. He recommends 3 minutes for most new cars but boats use more gas than they do, so it's your call. If you restart it frequently, eventually the starter could fail from the extra duty so it all evens out at some point.
Three to five minutes sounds right. Thanks for your input.

Davross
05-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I've had boats that you had to say prayers before they started. Once its running leave it alone untill your going home type of boats.

east tx skier
05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
On the other side, if I've got a rider getting on or off of the platform, the boat is off.