PDA

View Full Version : Throttle safety trouble

ant996
05-04-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm having trouble with the safety mech on the throttle. It some times doesn't start out of gear, then starts in gear????
Any ideas as what to do?
Where is the safety device? is it the little black box at the back of the throttle where the linkage slides?

ant

jimmer2880
05-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Sorry - I have nottin. Just didn't want this to get to the bottom of the list.

Bruce Carr
05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
What type/year of boat are we talking about?

JimN
05-04-2006, 09:06 AM
There's a neutral safety switch on the transmission with two wires connected to it. It's next to the shift lever so if you remove one wire and check for continuity, you can see if the shift cable needs adjustment or if the switch is bad. If you have continuity at all times, remove the switch and see if that changes. It's not an expensive part but is definitely needed.

ant996
05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
1993 pro star

Bruce Carr
05-04-2006, 11:40 AM
As JimN said, check the neutral safety switch on the trans. If it checks out OK, adjust the cable at the transmission shift lever so that when the throttle handle is in the neutral detent postion, the shift lever on the trans is at the neutral detent position.

evotj
07-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I have been having a problem where my boat will not crank at all...no clicking turning over nothing. Tested neutral safety switch continuity is fine if I jump across it the boat cranks right up. Do I need to adjust the transmission shift lever? If so How do I do this??

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I have been having a problem where my boat will not crank at all...no clicking turning over nothing. Tested neutral safety switch continuity is fine if I jump across it the boat cranks right up. Do I need to adjust the transmission shift lever? If so How do I do this??
Replace the neutral safety switch.