PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in gelcoat

Ben
10-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Anyone have any issues with some small cracks in the hull (top sides) originating at drilled holes? Our '94 205 has a few, just took it to the repair shop, ouch.

There are 3 cracks on the rear above the platic blower vent covers, 2 of which are working their way toward the hook that I've heard is for tubes.... Two of those about 1-1/2" long & another about 1/2 way to the driver side (also on the back), and fix quote was $650 !! I noticed & watched them this year and they doubled in length, so I'm afraid not to fix them.

Other 2 cracks are on the observer side at the rear of the windshield, originating at the holes to mount windshield frame to hull.

Guy at the shop said this if from the manufacturer not countersinking the holes in the hull, and they are SUPPOSED to do that. I didn't get a chance to check out if they are countersunk or not, but will check everything before we start again in the spring.

I'm not sure if any of the cracks go to the glass, but want to have them fixed before I find out the hard way. I think I have heard limited lifetime warranty on something, but not sure. We are at least the 2nd owner, so I'm not sure how that works.

I guess I'm asking:
1. Anyone else have these problems?
2. Is this a hull problem, i.e. would MC do anything for me?
3. How does the quote sound?

Just when I thought all we bought this summer was gas!!

NeilM
10-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Ben, if you do a search here and on the old site, you'll find it's common. Not just with MC, either. Based on what you describe, the quote sounds high. Shop around.

G-man
10-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Hulls carry a limited lifetime warranty for structural failure. ie stringers separate from hull. Gel coat cracking is considered a cosmetic failure. This is how many boat manufacture warranty's read. With your boat the age it is I wonder if those screws loosened up and caused the cracking. Early this summer I noticied my windshield shifting some, I lifted out the weatherstripping in the track and found half the screws loose holding it down.

east tx skier
10-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Ben, I think you're doing right to nip it in the bud. I don't know if it's common or not. My 93 PS 205 is (knock on wood) crack free.