PDA

View Full Version : 94 ProStar High Idle ???

Skeefast
05-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Just got the boat out for the summer and once in the water, I noticed that the engine was idleing around 1200 rpm. I have the Chevy 350 EFI engine. I didn't change anything over the winter, just the regular winterize/summerize stuff. Has anyone had this happen?? What was the fix?? I left the boat in the water hoping it's something simple. Thanks for any help.

88 PS190
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
perfect pass cable isn't hung up is it?

Bert
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Make sure the base gasket on your throttle body isn't leaking. If it's sucking air more fuel will be added to maintain the fuel air ratio and idle speed will increase. It doesn't take much of a leak.

jimmer2880
05-04-2006, 05:46 AM
When mine does it, after it warms up, I will shut it down & start it back up. When it comes back up, it idles fine. I've been told many times that my IAC valve is stuck & either needs to be lubed or replaced. Do a search on this site, there are a couple well documented threads on this subject.

Skeefast
05-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the help, I'll give all of those a look tonight and see what I get. Perfect Pass was the first thing I checked, but I'll give it another look tonight just to be sure. On the throttle body leak, is that something I will be able to see or do I need to remove it and inspect the gasket??

JimN
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Remove the throttle cable from the throttle lever and see if it still idles too high. If not, the cable may need some adjustment.

It's possible for the base gasket to leak but there's usually a cause if it starts suddenly. If you have a can of carb cleaner, spray it around the base of the carb and see if the idle changes. If it never does, there's no leak.

Skeefast
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Just got the boat out for the summer and once in the water, I noticed that the engine was idleing around 1200 rpm. I have the Chevy 350 EFI engine. I didn't change anything over the winter, just the regular winterize/summerize stuff. Has anyone had this happen?? What was the fix?? I left the boat in the water hoping it's something simple. Thanks for any help.

Just remembered that this year of boat has the carb/fuel injector set-up. Throttle body with the injectors above, thought this might help narrow down the problem.

JB3
05-16-2006, 10:38 PM
When mine starting doing that, I could give the throttle a quick snap (pull out the netural button, and very quickly, rev the motor and pull back to idle), this worked for about a month, then stopped working. The problem that I found was the shaft that holds the butterflies was sticking in the throttle body. I used an aerosol can of throttle body cleaner, and sprayed each side of the shaft where it enters the throttle body, cleaning any build up. Be sure to let the cleaner dry, which it should do quickly, before starting the motor and read the directions on the can (it is flammable).