PDA

View Full Version : Pine-Wood MC

Ryan
05-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm a Bear den leader for Cub Scouts. We had our Pine-Wood Derby last week with two additional categories, under 8 and 12+. I made a truck (red & white) for 3y/o my son to enter. He said he wanted a boat too. So, if I was making A boat I might as well make OUR boat. The truck won the under-8 group, and the boat probably would have won...but a wheel fell off in the last bracket for final contention. I wanted to carve out the interior, but it would have been far too light. I already had to add ballast (finishing nails) taped on the platform. I also made the #5 car for a nephew.

Ryan
05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Teak oil did little on the pine, so I stained the swim platform.

Ryan
05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
With wheels.

Ryan
05-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Uno mas.
I'm hanging out in PDX - now the message is long enough.

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 05:17 PM
That's awesome, Ryan. My pinewood derby entries were always all show and no go. Next year, I'd like to see your pw boat on a trailer attached to the truck heading down that ramp.

Again, excellent work.

Ric
05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
cool Ryan!!! when I was a kid we had untouchable cars.. now some friends have kids in those races and I understand that you can purchase hop up packages that include alot of the things we were doing wayyyy back then on our own!

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 05:32 PM
The guys that always won when I was a kid had cars loaded up with lead fishing weights.

Ric
05-03-2006, 05:36 PM
The guys that always won when I was a kid had cars loaded up with lead fishing weights.
I believe it, we melted our own lead to get to jussst the right weight after carving up the car, then we polished the axles, machined the wheels, I think it was all inside the rules back then and dad had a lathe in the garage ;)

I dont know what they do about weight these days, but our fastest cars were the ones with all the weight as far back on the car as you could get it

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I think it's all against the rules now, but I don't remember that being the case when I was doing it.

TMCNo1
05-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I dont know what they do about weight these days, but our fastest cars were the ones with all the weight as far back on the car as you could get it

Yea, but when they launch with all the weight in the rear, don't they do wheelstands?

Ric
05-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Yea, but when they launch with all the weight in the rear, don't they do wheelstands?
it really all depends on how much horsepower you generate

88 PS190
05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Ours was very well regulated, they measured your wheelbase, the overall weight, though the trick i always won with was using a bit of xray material glued onto the sides behind the wheel. They checked for washers but the x-ray w/ a bit of dry graphite on it was slicker than you could imagine. As far as weight posistion rearward was better, but the launch mechanism would cause you to jump track if you had too much past the rear axle.

BuoyChaser
05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
what a slick lookin' ride, man would have never thought of that one...can't wait for a son to build one with...my luck as an eagle scout and assist. scoutmaster i'll only have girls!!! :)

jimmer2880
05-04-2006, 05:50 AM
Looks very cool. There's no way I could produce something that looks like that.

peason
05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Very nice Ryan - I have built quite a few pinewood cars with my boys and we have a lot of fun. I just need to get started building them earlier than two days before the race - then maybe we won't finish in the middle of the pack - or have the wheels fall off!

pilot02
05-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Cool Ryan!

I was a den leader for 3 years (bear/webelos) and my son's in Boy scouts now and I'll be teaching the merit badge for waterskiing in June. For one of our pinewood derby's I made a rendition of my tristar 190. I'll have to take a pic and post it.

RexDog1
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Ryan

Nice Job
That looks so good, nice touch on the swim platform with teak oil
:woohoo:

pilot02
05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
I believe it, we melted our own lead to get to jussst the right weight after carving up the car, then we polished the axles, machined the wheels, I think it was all inside the rules back then and dad had a lathe in the garage ;)

Still inside the rules. Max weight is 5 ounces and you can polish the axles, and tru the wheels as long as the contact surface of the wheels remains square (no concave or conical shaping). weight position doesn't matter, only wheel spacing and ground clearance. I found having one wheel slightly higher than the rest works well also.

Ryan
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Running in the 12+ category the rules were bent a little. I ran it with washers, and coated all parts with a dry silicone lubricant that works much better than graphite. As a matter of fact, I sprayed the same stuff to coat the rain gutter regatta boats for my den and it did wonders for them too keeping water out of otherwise porous paint. I had to alter the wheelbase to allow for the design of the bow, I'm not sure if that was a help or hindrance. Finally, it was longer than normal/legal with the swim platform. I wanted that to put all the weight in the back. It carries more potential energy as long as the front doesn't get too light. I used the finishing nails to get both truck and boat to 4.99 oz. I think that made the biggest difference, being able to break of just one or two at a time to get as close to 5 as possible. For my sonís truck, the cabin of the truck is open so I could slide and hot-glue the ballast inside. Getting it to run fast was easy, getting the contours of the bow was tricky to match each side, especially the spray controll areas. I guess it doesn't show up so well in the pics.

Pilot, I'd love to see the pics.
88190, now I've got to go find some Xray film for next time.

BuoyChaser
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Cool Ryan!

I was a den leader for 3 years (bear/webelos) and my son's in Boy scouts now and I'll be teaching the merit badge for waterskiing in June. For one of our pinewood derby's I made a rendition of my tristar 190. I'll have to take a pic and post it.
the waterskiing merit badge and book are awful...really need to be rewritten by someone at AWSA...

also the regulations for pulling a water skier states that the driver must be over 18 and have commerical boating license...how many counselors at boy scout camp have that???our local Boy Scout Camp has 2 Moomba and they just take it out pulling tubers and race around for Motorboating Merit Badge...

be sure you are Safety Afloat trained and fill out permit with the local council...technically a parent can't sign off on a merit badge for your child anyways!!!scouts was great until lawyers got involved!!!

Ryan
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
the waterskiing merit badge and book are awful...really need to be rewritten by someone at AWSA...

also the regulations for pulling a water skier states that the driver must be over 18 and have commerical boating license...how many counselors at boy scout camp have that???our local Boy Scout Camp has 2 Moomba and they just take it out pulling tubers and race around for Motorboating Merit Badge...

be sure you are Safety Afloat trained and fill out permit with the local council...technically a parent can't sign off on a merit badge for your child anyways!!!scouts was great until lawyers got involved!!!

Agreed on the re-write. I offered to take some local cub and boy scouts out for the merit badge and/or the sports belt clip. I can get away without the commercial license. With my schedule and traveling, it will take me forever to Safety Afloat. I really like the scouting program, but the trouble I have to go through to get a tour permit for any off-site activity is nuts. Just to go on a day hike, you'd think I was trying to plan a week long trip to Mexico.

BuoyChaser
05-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Agreed on the re-write. I offered to take some local cub and boy scouts out for the merit badge and/or the sports belt clip. I can get away without the commercial license. With my schedule and traveling, it will take me forever to Safety Afloat. I really like the scouting program, but the trouble I have to go through to get a tour permit for any off-site activity is nuts. Just to go on a day hike, you'd think I was trying to plan a week long trip to Mexico.
you can actually do the safety afloat online, then print out the card...better to have the scout insurance cover you if something were to happen than your homeowner's...

Online Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat Training
http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/pages/6739_safe_swim_defense_safety_afloat.cfm

tour permits are easier than you think if you get to know a good contact at council...once you do one, just change dates/times names and all you have to do is fax them in...better to be SAFE than SORRY!!!

Ryan
05-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Definitely better safe than sorry. I'll have to try re-using/adapting permits. Thanks for the link. I was only aware of classroom training for it. I think I need to get my American RedCross SwimSafe or something too.

BuoyChaser
05-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Definitely better safe than sorry. I'll have to try re-using/adapting permits.
usually only the place and date change, so just make a copy then white out the details...all we do is fax it in the day before and GO!!!looks complicated the 1st time...key is to make sure all the drivers have minimum insurance coverage...

do you use Troopmaster for keeping track of advancement???so easy especially with all the BSA requirements...

captain planet
05-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm a Bear den leader for Cub Scouts. We had our Pine-Wood Derby last week with two additional categories, under 8 and 12+. I made a truck (red & white) for 3y/o my son to enter. He said he wanted a boat too. So, if I was making A boat I might as well make OUR boat. The truck won the under-8 group, and the boat probably would have won...but a wheel fell off in the last bracket for final contention. I wanted to carve out the interior, but it would have been far too light. I already had to add ballast (finishing nails) taped on the platform. I also made the #5 car for a nephew.

That is great! I hope after the races it was put in a proper place to show off. Very nice.

Not to toot my own horn, but because of my Dad, I was unbeaten in the pine-wood derby. I never lost, not once! Still have all the cars we built. Unfortunately we haven't been able to keep that same record for my nephew, but he does pretty well.

Ryan
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
usually only the place and date change, so just make a copy then white out the details...all we do is fax it in the day before and GO!!!looks complicated the 1st time...key is to make sure all the drivers have minimum insurance coverage...

do you use Troopmaster for keeping track of advancement???so easy especially with all the BSA requirements...

We have to have our tour permits in three weeks in advance, then keep a copy of the returned approval with us.

Is Troopmaster a software application? I haven't heard of it. I just have 6 Wolfs, so it hasn't been too challenging.

BuoyChaser
05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
We have to have our tour permits in three weeks in advance, then keep a copy of the returned approval with us.

Is Troopmaster a software application? I haven't heard of it. I just have 6 Wolfs, so it hasn't been too challenging.
3wks is ideal, but they will still accept if even same day...just need that connection...

Troopmaster is a software program, make sure you get on the Boy Scout Troop committee and that they're using the softwre...makes life for the leaders so much easier!!!

Scouting is really the only organization left to teach boys essential LIFE SKILLS!!!