PDA

View Full Version : engine flush, hard water

rodltg2
05-03-2006, 01:26 PM
the ski lake has really hard water , some folks have had problems with the heater core cracking from it. what i have done is flush the motor at home after skiing. sometimes i wont have time to do it , like the last time i went out ( dinner plans). is there anything that i can mix in to the water when i flush the motor that will not damage the motor and clean out the hard water deposits?

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I've seen some stuff at Overtons that's made for flushing boats used in salt water. Is hard water due to extra calcium??

pq2
05-03-2006, 02:26 PM
i use SALT OFF, hope it works :rolleyes:. We just to have a nautique 2001 and the salt finished it. now we are taking lots of care on the MC.

rodltg2
05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
i guess it couldnt hurt although salt is not my problem..

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 03:37 PM
What's that stuff you can use on shower heads to get rid of the limescale and calcium deposits? I've put some soapsuds through the engine trying lube up an impeller. Whatever you put in there is going to get flushed out pretty quick the next time you drop the boat in the drink. Just depends on the layup I guess. Heck, if you can put antifreeze in there, I don't see how CLR is going to ruin much. But I'm just giving you a BUMP.

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Rod, from a google search, I found this.

...“Boiler-scale” (calcium salts), especially present in used engines, present the largest threat of silicate dropout. It is therefore extremely important that used engines are thoroughly flushed. It is best to run the engine using only clean distilled water until much of the calcium salts have dissolved.

The main effects of the formation of this silicate gel are clogging of the heat exchanger, and engine overheating. Silicate gel buildup greatly reduces heat transfer to the coolant. When the gel coats the temperature sender, engine overheating can take place without notice. Silicate gel also carries abrasive particles to the water pump, where it wears away pump seals causing leakage and failure.

There are few effective methods for cleaning the gel from an already-clogged system. The heat exchanger must be removed and sent out for a thorough cleaning. The engine must be flushed with a caustic solution. The gel is not water soluble, so flushing with water alone will not work.

Kevin 89MC
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Whatever you do put in, make sure to get it all out or check to make sure it won't damage the water. I'm not a screamin' tree hugger, but just my two cents. I believe CLR may work, but not sure if it would hurt your engine. It stands for calcium, lime & rust remover IIRC.

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Rod, here, I think, is your answer. Star Brite Barnacle Remover. Says it can be used as an engine flush to get rid of calcium deposits.

Link (http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~STAR+BRITE~model~BARNA CLE+REMOVER.htm)

At $40 per jug, I don't know if I'd want to use it after every outing though.