PDA

View Full Version : Do Skis Breakdown?? HO Triumph or Connelly F1X?

daveg
05-03-2006, 07:19 AM
I have been on an HO VTC for 12 years now. I do ski a fair amount (40 sets average during the summer). I usually ski the course at 30-31 MPH @ 15 off. I have always liked the ski, and its pretty stable and forgiving. However, I am wondering if the best days of the ski are behind it, hence the question....do skis breakdown and lose "life" as they are used. It just seems its harder and harder to get good angle out of the buoy and complete the course consistently. Maybe its the fool and not the tool too. :o

I am also thinking of demo'ing the 69" HO Triumph or maybe the Connelly F1X. Anybody have any thoughts on these skis? Can't wait to read the independent ski tests!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Thats a good question! I cant answer it, but I can tell you about the Triumph a bit. I bought a 69" Triumph over the winter. I skied a 67" Vengeance last season, but got the bigger one for early season starting with the drysuit, a bit more forgiving too. I like it so far. It seems stable, but it will turn too. Its nice and easy to start on. I will post some more objective results as the weather gets better and I can really get out and compare it to my Vengeance. But I have to say I really like it so far. If this makes any sense, it seems "comfortable" to ski.

88 PS190
05-03-2006, 01:17 PM
You will hear several different opinions on this. But skis flex, and the flex built into that is designed for them to work well.

Overtime the materials used to build the core of the ski will fatigue given that they're cycled repeatedly, just like a spring, or a diving board. Now this doesn't mean that your ski is done... I couldn't guess, and if it skied well, i'd say to stick with it.

Here's my real point. Your ski is 12 years old. There is so much technology and improvement in skis within that time frame that even the not top of the line skis, ie the F1X or the Triumph as you mentioned have the ability to ski better than their predecessors.

Do I believe mapple could ski your old ski into shortline.... probably, but do I think i'd be consistant or easy... no.

Its the same w/ golf clubs, there are people out there making their fathers set of wooden shafted clubs work. But for most people, upgrading to a newer set, with bigger sweet spots etc. I going to improve their abilities.

Just like with golf the new ski isn't garunteed to improve everything, but it will be a fresh start, and easier to make work.

pq2
05-03-2006, 01:21 PM
a friend broke his HO monza (05) on the latinamerican games, he was fighting the 1st place, he was very mad about that. at the end he finished 3rd place

rodltg2
05-03-2006, 01:34 PM
if you ski alot, i would replcae every two years. for two reasons stated before, ski breakdown and new technology.. thats why im in the market for a new ski now..

rodltg2
05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
a friend broke his HO monza (05) on the latinamerican games, he was fighting the 1st place, he was very mad about that. at the end he finished 3rd place

ive heard alot of rumores about monzas breaking..

05-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Man, I cant imagine a ski breaking...... :eek: WOW! thats wild. I have read about that though..... How the he11 do you break a ski while skiing?

I would also venture to say that guys that ski HARD and competitive would be far more apt to "wearing out" a ski. I dont think the recreational slalom skier is gonna be wearing out a ski..... :twocents:

jraben8
05-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Generally its when the ski is loaded after a turn and as the tension increases the handle snaps from the skiers hands and grabs or wraps around the tip and snaps just in front of the bindings.

05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
WOW, I bet that makes for one heck of a ride when it happens...... :eek3:

jraben8
05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
I've only heard of it happening from the guys on the nicholls site (I think it was the Nicholls site???)

pq2
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
ups............

LakePirate
05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow.........

88 PS190
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
You are dealing with alot of the real brutish skiers breaking skis, not people who use form and body posistion to get the ski to move.

And yes, if you get a 200 pound guy cranking through a corner on any ski, you'll be dealing w/ quite the force.

these are new skis breaking. there are also issues with delamination occuring on alot of skis.

but take it w/ a grain of salt, you can get your ski replaced.

pq2
05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
the people from HO had a great respond to my friend. Hes not a brutish skier, hes the best slalom skier in mexico, you can find him here, this is the tournament where he broke his ski, i was wrong, he finished 4th. He told me something that the ski that he was using was a kind of prototipe, i will ask him again.

http://www.iwsf.com/scorebooks/posted/20060325190318Scorebook06CHILE.pdf

jraben8
05-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Correct form/body position do not break skis.

And I had never heard of this either until the past 6 months or so.

88 PS190
05-03-2006, 06:49 PM
even great skiers get out of shape and pound on a ski.

under those conditions production problems etc. will show up.

I bet he's a great skier, bad skiers don't make the kind of force required to fatique equipment that easily.

rodltg2
05-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Correct form/body position do not break skis.

And I had never heard of this either until the past 6 months or so.

maybe so, but it seems like alot of pros and tournament skiers are breaking skiis..

pq2
05-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I think that will become more often as technology goes to the limit of the products, and more when they are testing new materials.

88 PS190
05-03-2006, 07:30 PM
One of the issues with skis is that a relatively small number are sold a year. And since ski companies want to come out with new designs and products there is relatively little time that is spent working all the bugs out.

You see this all the time,
Goodes with top decks bubbling in the sun, or breaking in front of the bindings on the 9700
Monzas having breakdowns.
Sixams with the edges sticking out too much causing lift and blow outs.

Additionally there is ALOT of hand assembly, with issues being seen with missing layers of carbonfiber in the lay up, or failure to use a adhesion promotor, or leaving residues that cause failure in the adhesion.

It happens, good thing is these companies need their good name, and are willing to work with you to correct your complaints.

betsy&david Harrison
05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I've been skiing a long time and I've got to tell you...skis do breakdown and yes, if there is a flaw in the ski it will snap. Several of the guys out where I ski had KD's a few years ago and I'll be darned if at least 3 of them didn't snap. The whole bunch of them got a bad batch. Fortunately KD replaced the skis. So, the theory on skiing correctly and not breaking a ski is hogwash. Blems happen! Most of the time the skis snap in the middle of the bindings and yeah they have told me some scarey stories.

Your old ski is broken down (a little water logged), you need a new ski. Time for you to go shopping. But, beware...it is expensive out there compared to 12 years ago :eek:

daveg
05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I appreciate all the feedback. Today, I checked with the local HO dealer (Chicago Sea Ray) whom I've known a long time. He has a good demo program and is very helpful. He suggested I try both the HO Triumph and the HO Nitro. However, he said he would wait until the weather warms up a little more and I am more in the groove of skiing. I thinks thats good advice. I know that these new skis aren't cheap also. I saw one high end ski at another dealer today that I drove by which had a price tag on it of $1089 :eek: I won't be buying that one!

Jorski
05-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Years ago a ski broke on the professional womens tour causing one of the most brutal injuries of all time. The skier was Jennifer Leachman and her carbon fibre ski broke at the first wake, while in perfect body position. Her break was so bad, the doctors initially thought that they would have to amputate.

Waterski Magazine, at one time did a piece on waterski injuries and showed her x-rays after surgey. Not a pretty site, there were dozens of screws and plates used to put here back together again.

She was neither a "200 brute" nor a skier "using bad form".

BTW, carbon fibre by its structure and nature is more likely to fail catestrophically (ie break in half) than to crack a little.