PDA

View Full Version : Put an MC on a Bu Trailer???

jeffrpod
05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
First of all I want to thank everyone who has replied to my previous posts, your input is much appreciated.

My lake is very low this year and I'm about to take delivery of an X2. I didn't order a trailer because I'm lake front and planned to keep the boat on a lift. Problem is currently my lake is so low I don't think I have enough water at my dock for it. A buddy has offered up his Malibu VLX trailer (the 2004 and older hull) for me if I need a temporary holding place. Does anyone know if the X2 will fit on the older VLX trailer?

Thanks!

SKI*MC
05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Well if the bunks don't fit the hull, it could leave bubbles in the gelcoat. You would have to be extremly carefull if you did.

Leroy
05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know, but I would be willing to bet it will be better than any lift I have left my boat on lately.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm not quite sure about it leaving bubbles, but the bottom line is you don't want to support the hull improperly. If I were to bet, I'd say you'd be alright just putting on there for an hour or so. But for anything more permenant than that, I'd be hesitant.

Britt
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
realistically, unless the a boat is resting on its keel you are fairly safe. The bunks would have to be pretty different for myself to even raise thoughts of concern. IMHO you are safe.

6ballsisall
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
As Britt said, I wouldn't be to concerned about it unless there were some serious fit issues. I think the only thing you can do is SLOWLY drive the boat on the trailer and have a pair of goggles so you can look under the water and check the fit. for a short period of time you shouldn't have any issues provided the bunks aren't sitting on the edge of a strake or something like that

JimN
05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
The Malibu trailer isn't made for a MC. Unless by coincidence, I can't see how it will be a good fit.

bkhallpass
05-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Jeff, I live in a boating community, where many folks don't own trailers. We swap trailers and brands all the times for cleaning and service haul outs. You wouldn't want to tow on a trip with an ill fitting trailer, but as long as you're only going a short distance, it's not a problem. As long as only fiberglass touches only nice carpeted bunks you're ok. Even the strakes aren't a problem. You want to be sure the fender gaps are wide enough for your boat. You want to be sure the tournament drop in the trailer is deep enough to accomodate your tracking fins, shaft, and propellor. You want to be sure that there's no funky bow stop which won't accommodate your boat. Don't put a longer boat on a short trailer, but you can get away with a short boat on a long trailer. We put a 19' boat on a 22' trailer all the time. We don't pull it all the way forward. Use the winch on the front to tie it down, and tow straps on the back. Be careful you don't pull it too far forward and put the pitots on top of a bunk. Last thing I can think of is make sure the bunks are wide enough they don't hit your PP paddlewheel. Sounds complicated, but it's really not that big a deal. As someone said, sits on there pretty much like a boat lift. BTW, the marinas around here do the same thing for 500K+ offshore boats. BKH

Bert
05-03-2006, 12:52 AM
I think bkhallpass has this one nailed. Good advice.

macrogp18
05-03-2006, 01:32 AM
I dont think it is a horrible idea but not the greatest. It will work temporarily, last fall when i was working for the local dealership a customer ordered an X-2 without a trailer, when it arrived we put it on an x-10 trailer for a couple days and while being driven to Los Angeles from the Napa Valley area for a custom triple axle trailer. I would imagine that your boat would be okay short term, but i wouldnt let it sit for more than a few weeks.

AirJunky
05-03-2006, 02:10 AM
How about comparing the bunks on an X2 trailer & a VLX trailer? I imagine there is some similarities so it should be OK short term & possible long term.

djhuff
05-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Remember the 06 X2 has a deeper v design. That's the only concern I would have.
I dont think it is a horrible idea but not the greatest. It will work temporarily, last fall when i was working for the local dealership a customer ordered an X-2 without a trailer, when it arrived we put it on an x-10 trailer for a couple days and while being driven to Los Angeles from the Napa Valley area for a custom triple axle trailer. I would imagine that your boat would be okay short term, but i wouldnt let it sit for more than a few weeks.

Who puts an X2 on a triple axle. Seems like overkill.

bigmac
05-03-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm not quite sure about it leaving bubbles, but the bottom line is you don't want to support the hull improperly. If I were to bet, I'd say you'd be alright just putting on there for an hour or so. But for anything more permenant than that, I'd be hesitant.I doubt bubbles too.

But I keep my boat all summer in a lift on a plain old set of V-bunks, as does virtually everyone on our lake. There's nothing particularly scientific about their placement, other than keeping them off the strakes and avoiding obvious pressure points. I've never seen or heard of damage around here, even on boats a lot less well-built than a MasterCraft.

http://www.pierpleasure.com/images/Accessories/full-vbunks.jpg

If the trailer support doesn't cross strakes or provide pressure points, I doubt it would be a problem for storage. OTOH, I'd be a lot more concerned if the boat was going to spend some time bouncing down the road on a trailer that didn't fit right.

SteveO
05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I think you should be fine. Additionally, you will show the trailer what it feels like to have a real boat on it.

TMCNo1
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Putting an MC on a BU trailer. Kinda like building a million dollar mansion in a trailer park!