PDA

View Full Version : trailering w/ swim platform

DooSPX
05-02-2006, 09:32 PM
is it okay or safe to trailer long distances w/ the platform on the boat?

88 PS190
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
pull it so you can use tie down straps.

starman205
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I trailer mine on long trips with the platform on and have had no problems! :wavey:

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Hardly ever take mine off. My tie down goes from the trailer eyelits across the gunwales just behind the motorbox. I've got cut up socks (insert joke here) to keep the strap from rubbing the deck. Works well for me.

mitch
05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
What's long distance? If I was travelling cross country , I'd take it off, but it's prolly fine either way.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Where would you put it. I'm usually too loaded up to have room to put it in the back of the car.

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I take mine off and put it in the boat.

Leroy
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Why do you want to take it off?

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Too scary for me. I'd brake hard and one of those brackets would imbed in my back seat.

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Too scary for me. I'd brake hard and one of those brackets would imbed in my back seat.

I don't use the backseat, and wrap the platform in a blanket so it stays warm :)

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 10:09 PM
If you're tying down from the rear I can definitely see the point. But apart from tying down back there, any other reason it might not be a good idea not to have it on there? I've got to park mine in the garage diagonally anyway, so I don't have to remove it for storage.

88 PS190
05-02-2006, 10:10 PM
keeps people from climbing on the back of your boat while you transport.

eric's platform has it almost too good.

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I only take mine off to strap the back down.

Bert
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Tow with mine on and a kid on a peddle bike smoked into it when I was parked so it saved the gelcoat

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:21 PM
That's what I was thinking. On some kind of a light strike, a platform is cheaper than some of the more minor gelcoat work that can't be buffed out.

Bert
05-02-2006, 11:24 PM
That's what I was thinking. On some kind of a light strike, a platform is cheaper than some of the more minor gelcoat work that can't be buffed out.
yep, he actually broke a corner of the platform and it was very easy to repair myself. If it was gelcoat it would have taken time and $$$$. Gelcoat isn't some thing I would take on myself

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 06:23 AM
I remove mine, wrap it in my boat tarp, and place it lenghthwise behind the driver's seat. I don't like the amount of play the brackets have in them, & figure on a long trip, it's just not good for it. But, I have towed 15 miles with it on before just because I was too lazy to take it off.

TMCNo1
05-03-2006, 10:28 AM
We have towed our '89 nearly 30,000 miles and never removed the platform to tow. Longest distance towed at one time was to Hot Spring, Ark from NC and back, 912 miles, 17.5 hours straight. With the newer boats, that have the removable platform with the pins, you may want to cable tie the pins so they won't accidently come out during a real long trip and allow the brackets to jump out if the bases.

6ballsisall
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't take mine off, don't feel the need too really. Erk, you really baby that platform to much! It needs a ski rubbed across it once in a while, you dang footer :D

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I don't take mine off, don't feel the need too really. Erk, you really baby that platform to much! It needs a ski rubbed across it once in a while, you dang footer :D

Yeah, mine is perfect for about a week. Then it goes to the lake and I jump on and off it with a ski on for the rest of the summer until it's time to beautify again (I know that hurts to hear Harold) ;).

As for the pins coming out, Mine have the loops that bend around the other side of the pin. I have to really put a lot of pressure to get them to release, so I'm not worried about their coming loose in tow.

I've removed my platform for lots of reasons. But never just to tow.

Thrall
05-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I have to remove the platform to park the boat in the garage (stupid 21'garage!), but always trailer w/ the platform on the boat.
It's 90 miles of highway to the nearest lake here, and last summer towed to Missouri and back from New Mexico, no problems.
I wouldn't worry about towing w/ the platform on. Boat probably takes rougher hits on choppy water than it sees on the trailer.
My platform has just enough gap to slip coated tie down hooks up from to bottom to hook to the transom tie downs, so no need to remove to tie down back of boat either (in my case).

Ric
05-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I have never even thought of removing the platform for towing... I actually do think of it as a safety bumper of sorts in the event of a light accident. (and I cannot imanine anywhere I'd put it that I'd be happy with if it werent mounted astern)

jraben8
05-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I have never thought of removing it for towing either. The only reason it comes off is so the boat fits in its part of the garage length wise rather than diagonally. As soon as the trailer is attached to the truck, it's back on.

Evan Jones
05-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I'd think the small screws that hold those platform brackets on aren't strong enough to keep that boat on in the event of an accident! Lifting eyes or straps over the gunwhales seem like the only strong way to anchor to the trailer. I bolted 1/2" eye bolts into the trailer frame and go up over the gunwhale with the strap. Never had any problems, but when I do I'd rather not shear the platform screws off.

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Anyone who wants to try the straps to the trailer eylits, double check to make sure you've got some sort of good backing plate on there. I don't know that my strap or my platform are going to save me if it gets really hairy on the road. The strap is just to keep the boat and trailer married during expected driving ups and downs.

When it comes to collisions, I'm countnig on 303 to save the day somehow. :)

starman205
05-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Anyone who wants to try the straps to the trailer eylits, double check to make sure you've got some sort of good backing plate on there. I don't know that my strap or my platform are going to save me if it gets really hairy on the road. The strap is just to keep the boat and trailer married during expected driving ups and downs.

When it comes to collisions, I'm countnig on 303 to save the day somehow. :)

ETS, you crack me up!!!!!!!!! :uglyhamme

Ric
05-03-2006, 03:24 PM
don't we all have 2 lifting rings or eyelets on the stern? I know my 190 had them above the platform and yet my 197 has them below my platform. Since I use them for tiedown to the trailer, I'm happy these are below.... with the 190 I simply fished the straps up thru the platform gaps to reach the lifting rings for a sure hold.

captain planet
05-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Only time I remove my platform is to clean it and teak oil it. (and not the stuff in the white bottle from starbrite) My tiedowns go right over the sides of the platform down to the corners of the trailer. Works fine, been to Ten. and back to Ohio twice.

AirJunky
05-03-2006, 05:32 PM
I tow with the platform mounted on the boat all the time & have never had a problem. The only thing I can think that might happen is if you got rear ended & I think you'd have other things to worry about.

I tie my boat down without removing the platform all the time. Just slide the strap between the stern & the platform.

_DiZZ_
05-03-2006, 07:03 PM
I never worry about mine... Well mine is molded to the rest of the body :D

betsy&david Harrison
05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I tow with the platform mounted on the boat all the time & have never had a problem. The only thing I can think that might happen is if you got rear ended & I think you'd have other things to worry about.

I tie my boat down without removing the platform all the time. Just slide the strap between the stern & the platform.
Ditto! we have done the same ever since we became a boat owner many moons ago.

Bert
05-03-2006, 10:02 PM
don't we all have 2 lifting rings or eyelets on the stern? I know my 190 had them above the platform and yet my 197 has them below my platform. Since I use them for tiedown to the trailer, I'm happy these are below.... with the 190 I simply fished the straps up thru the platform gaps to reach the lifting rings for a sure hold.
Wouldn't the strap going through the platform gaps do a number on the teak ?

debecker13
05-04-2006, 11:39 AM
I have always removed the swim platform for transport. There seems to be enough movement in the bracket/swim platform connection to allow the front edge of the platform to bump/rub against the boat. I know it is happening while in the water also, but figure I can minimize this issue by removing it while on the road. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas to solve the problem?

Ric
05-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't the strap going through the platform gaps do a number on the teak ?
I know what you mean, but I did it for a couple of years with no real problems to speak of.

rodltg2
05-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't use the backseat, and wrap the platform in a blanket so it stays warm :)

seriously... whats wrong with you??

jimmer2880
05-08-2006, 06:11 AM
seriously... whats wrong with you??

I don't see a problem Rod.... :)

Before kids, I rarely had my back seat in the boat, except for when we were just crusing. It made it very nice to not have to constantly step over/on it just to get to the swim platform.

As far as the platform goes, when trailering, I wrap mine in my boat cover to protect the upholstry from getting messed up.

Diesel
05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
This thread cracks me up.................... I would have never guessed there were people out there that do not tow with the swim platform attached.........talk about anal :D

jimmer2880
05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
This thread cracks me up.................... I would have never guessed there were people out there that do not tow with the swim platform attached.........talk about anal :D

to each their own. I would have never thought people would be stupid enough to tow without having their boats strapped down either, but I'm proven wrong all the time also. :D