PDA

View Full Version : Boat transportation

scottman02
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I have found a line on a boat in North Carolina and I live in Wisconsin. According to mapquest it is about a 14 hour drive, which is do-able but I just can't find the time. Any suggestions on who to contact to have it shipped and how much?

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
What kind and size of boat is it?

Buy_Low
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Where in NC? I travel to Greensboro for my job every few weeks. I normally fly. I would be happy to take a look at it to give you a 3rd party opinion.

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Scottman02, PM at ya....

COSkier
05-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I have found a line on a boat in North Carolina and I live in Wisconsin. According to mapquest it is about a 14 hour drive, which is do-able but I just can't find the time. Any suggestions on who to contact to have it shipped and how much?
Scottman02,
I bought my boat on ebay and contacted all the companies that I could find. Everyone wanted at least $2500 to ship to Colorado. I drove from Denver to North Carolina to pick mine up. Three days round trip, no stopping with 2 drivers. Go for it! It only takes a few weeks to recover from the sleep deprivation.
COSkier

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Check the map. Betcha you could get a Teamtalk relay going. Most of us will work for beer.

SKI*MC
05-02-2006, 11:55 PM
haha, its sad, but true!...

Buy_Low
05-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I might be able to go from Greensboro to DC. Not sure if that would help out much?

6ballsisall
05-03-2006, 12:28 AM
I might be able to make a leg of the trip!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-03-2006, 12:43 AM
What is it?

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 12:50 AM
There's a nice looking 190 on ebay in NC right now.

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 07:29 AM
If you buy me a case of beer (and MarkP gives me a pull), I could probably get it from DC to Pittsburg area if the timing was right.

TMCNo1
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM

Contact Ronnie Belcher, Belcher Trucking @ 1-865-856-0225 in Vonore TN. He is a super guy and will work with you. He is the fellow who does small load deliveries for MC and other boat companies in the Vonore, TN area. You maybe can work something out with him about bringing a boat to you when he would come to NC or close by to deliver boats and he could then bring a boat back from here in this area without being empty on his return trip. A friend of mine in CT had Ron go to Wyoming and pick up a '72 boat and deliver it to him in CT. You will have to work it out with him on the cost depending on the circumstances involved.

Datdude
05-03-2006, 06:54 PM

The first step would be finding a TMC member in that area that would be willing to look at the boat for you. If it looks acceptable, then worry about shipping. A fellow TMC'er looked at a boat in the Detroit area for me last Fall and it was comforting to hear his input on the boat, and not just the guy selling it. Although the deal did not work out for various reasons, the boat was a good deal. I am sure someone on here can look at the boat for you. As far as road trips go....I sold a snowmobile online to a guy from Vermont. We decided that Toledo, Ohio was about halfway for both of us at 10 hours one way. A buddy offered to ride along and it was a great time. Besides the 30 minutes delivering the sled and gas stops it was 20 hours straight in the truck and we easily could have done 4-5 more hours. I would personally want to get it myself so that if it is not exactly what you thought it was you could walk away. Good luck

stevo137
05-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh man, so many of these questions have been answered in the past but long distance transactions can work but you need to qualify.
I would not a buy a boat unless "I" drive and or ski behind it prior to purchase.
As far as the shipping goes, there will always be someone that will do it for a price...