PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Pics

Buy_Low
05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Well the water was too cold to get in this weekend but I was dying to take my new boat out on the water. I didn't get too many pics of the boat itself (if you look real hard you can see it behind the 41 foot speed boat). I was very pleased and can't wait to get behind it. Last pic is after a 360 and my friends didn't know about the wave that comes over the back after a 360. Oops... :)

Buy_Low
05-02-2006, 08:37 PM
continued...

Buy_Low
05-02-2006, 08:43 PM
How do I post pics so you don't have to click on the link to see them? I've seen other people post where the pics are shown with no link.... Any tips?

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Just do one per post as attachments (with 650 on the longer side resolutionwise). Or upload them to something like photodump and link them with the tool.

Buy_Low
05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the tip!

http://www.photodump.com/direct/mmanzo98/IMG_0620-1.jpg

http://www.photodump.com/direct/mmanzo98/IMG_0627-1.jpg

Watergate!
http://www.photodump.com/direct/mmanzo98/IMG_0624-1.jpg

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Good deal. Looks great.

Tom023
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Ahhhh! Georgetown in the spring. Just remember north of Key bridge is no wake. I learned the hardway.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
On my first outing in my first boat, we found some glassy waters and I strapped on the ski. Next thing I know, I see the game warden. So I wave enthusiastically as we ski by him in a "no ski zone."

Long story short, he was very nice. We had no fire extinguisher, no cert. of number. Just sent us to the launch. At least we had a couple of vests. :o

Buy_Low
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Strangley, I don't see many patrol boats on the Potomac. I'm not going to press my luck though. Last thing I need is an expensive ticket!

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 06:00 AM
How is the water down there? I've always wanted to take a trip to that area, but was always afraid that the water would be too big for a ski boat. I usually boat above Dam 4 on the Potomac, where a 190 can handle the nastiest water that ever shows up.

Buy_Low
05-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Well I've only had my 190 out once on the Potomac and most of the day we were tied up in Georgetown so its hard to say. Where is Dam 4?

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Well I've only had my 190 out once on the Potomac and most of the day we were tied up in Georgetown so its hard to say. Where is Dam 4?

Look on the map where Interstates 70 & 81 cross. Then, follow 81 south until it hits the Potomac. That is about 13 miles upriver of Dam4, and downriver of the Williamsport powerplant dam.

Cascade
05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Not sure why anyone would want to be in the water with their boat. I lived in DC for 5 years and the only sure thing regarding the Patomac was the polution and overcrowding. Georgetown is a beutiful place to be, especially in the spring time with the cherry blossoms, but you would never catch me in the water!

Tom023
05-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Not sure why anyone would want to be in the water with their boat. I lived in DC for 5 years and the only sure thing regarding the Patomac was the polution and overcrowding. Georgetown is a beutiful place to be, especially in the spring time with the cherry blossoms, but you would never catch me in the water!

Actually it's considered one of the cleanest rivers in a metropolitan area in the U.S. It used to be very polluted, back in the '70s, but efforts to clean it have worked and you could bass fish within site of downtown by the early '80s. Although it probably has suffered from development since I moved away, I never had any adverse affects from the many years I spent in it. Not the clearest water by any means.

Buy_Low
05-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I had a sailboat last year and we would just go out to the middle of the river, drop anchor and swim all day. Myself or my friends never got sick. There is also going to be a swim portion of a triathalon in the river which was approved by the Dept. of Health so I think things are better now. It beats the 2 hour trip to lake Anna!

jimmer2880
05-04-2006, 06:25 AM
.... It beats the 2 hour trip to lake Anna!

I hear you there. But, then again - I live in Hagerstown, & work in Gaithersburg. 1.25 hour drive each way. When I think about that, I'm thinking that I could do a 2 hour weekend drive no problem. But - then again, 15 minutes from where I live, I'm on the water cutting up some glass.

jimmer2880
05-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Actually it's considered one of the cleanest rivers in a metropolitan area in the U.S. It used to be very polluted, back in the '70s, but efforts to clean it have worked and you could bass fish within site of downtown by the early '80s. Although it probably has suffered from development since I moved away, I never had any adverse affects from the many years I spent in it. Not the clearest water by any means.

My family has had a trailer along the Potomac for the last 30 years. It is much much cleaner than it used to be. But, stay out of it after a real heavy rain (tropical storm size), as many small communities dump their treated sewage into the Potomac. Usually, the water coming in is cleaner than the water they take out. But, when 6-10 inches of rain hit, they can't treat the quantity of water from all the storm drains, etc & end up dumping raw sewage. Of course, that is severely dialuted, but untreated all the same.

Up where I'm at, it's not uncommon to have 5-7' of visibality during the non-rainy weeks.