PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buddy Scuffing

ematthew
05-02-2006, 01:38 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but how does one remove the scuffs the boat buddy causes on my nice new white hull? The carpet solution makes sense for prevention, but the scuffs that are already there must go.

BuoyChaser
05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but how does one remove the scuffs the boat buddy causes on my nice new white hull? The carpet solution makes sense for prevention, but the scuffs that are already there must go.
to prevent my scuffs, i have the wife drive the boat to the edge of boat buddy, then hand crank her up...then just coat her up good with wax and 303...

check out this thread, should come right off http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4157&highlight=boat+buddy

DanC
05-02-2006, 02:03 PM

Acetone followed by a wax job works for me.

The forum search feature works pretty well sometimes :rolleyes:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4157&highlight=boat+buddy+marks

wakinvol
05-02-2006, 03:19 PM
wax will work fine

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I've used acetone followed by wax. I hear magic eraser will do the trick, too although I've not tried that one personally.

jraben8
05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I guess that I'm a little lazy but after installing the carpet and loading it back up, the scuffs magically disappeared... Then I went back a waxed it...

TMCNo1
05-02-2006, 08:39 PM
A good thing I have found to use on carpet glued to the Boat Buddy to help prevent more scuffing and make it slide easier is Turtle Wax spray wax in the green bottle. Just spray on the carpet and forget it. Do it about twice a season and about every month dampen a rag with the spray wax and apply and wipe dry on the gelcoat below the rub rail down to and around the bow eye.

stevo137
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
......................... ;)

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm my boat's buddy.

stevo137
05-02-2006, 10:36 PM
yep...................

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Hmm, you, too?

Leroy
05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I looked and I actually have pits and scratches in the gel now. I think I am in for significant gel coat touch up, not just buffing. I can't think of anything else that would have done this.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Leroy, did you have carpet on yours? I just had some scuffing because I'm stupid. I used a couple of staples to help the glue set and must have missed one when removing them. Long story short, wet sanding made most of it disappear completely. But there are a few light bluish-black spots. Will need a little professional respray at the end of the season. But it sure is smooth and almost invisible.

Back to the non-maring bow roller for good.

Bert
05-03-2006, 01:24 AM
I have my boat buddy and bunks set up so that when the trailer is at the correct depth the bow does not scrape on the buddy. Takes the perfect angle at the ramp but it is sweet.

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Leroy, did you have carpet on yours? I just had some scuffing because I'm stupid. I used a couple of staples to help the glue set and must have missed one when removing them. Long story short, wet sanding made most of it disappear completely. But there are a few light bluish-black spots. Will need a little professional respray at the end of the season. But it sure is smooth and almost invisible.

Back to the non-maring bow roller for good.

I didn't need any staples when I glued the carpet to my buddy. I just sprayed both sections, & let it set the recommend amount of time (I think it was 2 minutes) before applying the carpet to the buddy.

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, I'm done kicking myself over it. I'm back on the bow roller kick. If I ever go closed bow, I'll use a boat buddy again. But with an open bow, it's just too easy to walk up there and hook up the winch.

ntidsl
05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
I Couldn't Stand Hitting The Boat Buddy That Hard To Get It To Set...i Just Use The Winch Now A Days...great Idea Just Not Perfected Yet...but I Am On A Private Lake With A Self Poured Concrete Ramp, Maybe On A Good Ramp It Will Work Better...i'll Try It Someday When I Get On Public Waterways If I Can Drag Myself Out There...but There Will Be Waves I Know It...boohoo...its Scares Me...