PDA

View Full Version : Teaching little kids

bfinley
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
This summer I'm planning on teaching my 4 year old to ski. Last summer he was in the tube and was pretty comfortable. We have a barefoot boom and we have a ski skimmer: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=11204&fcat=1F5

I'm not sure what approach to try. I think I might try hooking the ski skimmer up to a short rope on the boom. Does anyone else have any advice.

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Don't push to hard in one day, make sure that they are having fun even if he/she doesn't get up, you want to make sure that the next day they are going to want to try again :)

beef
05-02-2006, 09:22 AM
We flews ours off the platform like a kite. You can let your kidlet get onto the skimmer on the platform while you stand on the nose of it to keep it stable. While your driver accelerates (really just a fast idle), you can start to pay out line. We always talk to them to keep them looking up. Before they know it they're skiing! You can also bring them back in without them getting wet if you're in tune with the driver.

BuoyChaser
05-02-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure what approach to try. I think I might try hooking the ski skimmer up to a short rope on the boom. Does anyone else have any advice.
just have them get comfortable on the tube with you, on mom/dad's combo skis, then use the skimmer or "Yellow "Banana" same concept but plastic, what I used as a kid...

Leroy
05-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Four is very young but doable. Have someone other than parents as direct interface telling him what to do (kind of like never teach your spouse). Practice some grass starts and pulling around on grass/carpet. Have a big reward waiting for him.

MarkP
05-02-2006, 09:54 AM
If your using that skimmer. You might start by getting him/her used to standing on that thing in the shallow and or pulling him across the lawn as he holds on..

jbfootin
05-02-2006, 10:12 AM
My 4 year old was asking yesterday when will he be old enough to learn to ski. :woohoo: Brought a tear to my eye.

A year or more ago, there was a post where someone described a pully system on boom. They would start the skier out holding the handle with little to no rope out. They actually leaned out of the boat to help stableize the skies. As they got comfortable they could leave out the rope, until they were behind the boat.They had pictures and everyting. Maybe ETS can bird dog that down and post a link. :)

bfinley
05-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Beef,

I like your idea. Start 'em out on the platform first, that sounds like the ticket.

Brandon

Workin' 4 Toys
05-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Four is very young but doable. Have someone other than parents as direct interface telling him what to do (kind of like never teach your spouse). Practice some grass starts and pulling around on grass/carpet. Have a big reward waiting for him.
Our (just turned) 3 year old will be getting up on one of these very soon. She loves being pulled around on the carpet over the last few months, so she is ready.
I was considering either being in a tube or on the kneeboard directly in front her on a seperate rope. Or perhaps tied off to the tube at arms reach. I am going to experiment in the next few weeks myself.
She would be up on it already, but the water is still too cold.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM

I was going to suggest the same thing. My father-in-law pulled our four year old niece around the lawn on the zip sled and some trainer skis. Great place to get used to riding and helps aerate the lawn. Win-win.

Not quite as pertinent to a 4 y.o., but something to think about for the future.

My other niece started on the zip sled when she was six. Rode it on her knees until we almost ran the tank dry. The next time she was out there (age 7) (here's the teaching part), we yelled, "Stand up!" She did. Two more sets standing up and we broke out the trainer skis. These skis have a handle that connects to them and another rope that goes to the boat, but we just used the skis and a long line. I sat on a life vest behind her in the water and kept the skis straight with my foot and kept her straight by holding her life vest. As the boat took off, I dragged with her for a second or two until she/the skis started to plane and then let go. She fell the first time. The second time she rode around a bit like a frog. The third time she skied around the lake with the biggest smile on her face you've ever seen.

The instruction was this. "Knees bent, arms straight, let the boat pull you up. You can ride around the lake all day squatted down. So just stay that way until you feel lik standing up. But don't stand up until you feel like it." She went about 50 yards squatted down, then stood up.

BuoyChaser
05-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing. My father-in-law pulled our four year old niece around the lawn on the zip sled and some trainer skis. Great place to get used to riding and helps aerate the lawn. Win-win.
what the heck is a ZIP SLED???love to see some pics...

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Here's an ad from the 70s.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Here's the anonymous 4 year old from a couple of years ago.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Here's the 7 y.o.'s first time up.

sixysixss
05-02-2006, 11:42 AM
The skimmer is really easy for the kids to operate. My 3 year old was doing it last year and had a great time. We didn't have platform, so someone was in the water to help stabilize the skimmer, and would then let go once it was under way. We usually stayed in a small cove and just circled around. Your only going at a fast idle with the skimmer anyway. The problem I see with the boom is that we always held the boat end of the rope in case they fell and didn't come out of the ski. That way you could drop the rope and there would be no dragging wahatsoever. The same holds true on the start -- the rope could be dropped if there was any problem. Remember, the rope is attached to the skimmer. I think the platform start sounds like a winner.

Rob

jraben8
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
My 3 year old was on trainer skis at the end of last summer and over the winter decided he could practice wakeboarding on our ottoman cushion - "Daddy, I wakeboard too!!!" (said in a surfers stance)

mattsn
05-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I used these with my kids and grandkids. Still have 2 of them in the garage. They are the original blue in color. Great start for kids.

BeavenX5
05-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I started my kids at 3years old on a custom made aquaplane. It is something my friend started on in the late 60s early 70s and we just copied it . Very similar concept to the zip sled but just a lot easier to build yourself.
Only thing to be careful is for the kid not to fall on it when they stop. They have to jump out. You can use this aquaplane at idle speed with a 4 year old.
It can be a lot of fun (and dangerous) for adults at 25MPH :eek:

Here is a link to a privious thread for how to build your own:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7299&highlight=aquaplane

JC

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I used these with my kids and grandkids. Still have 2 of them in the garage. They are the original blue in color. Great start for kids.

Matt, if you're interested in selling one of them, I might be interested.

robisjo
05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
We have one of those and they are awesome. Both of my girls were riding it at about 3 1/2 years old. We would get two people out in shallow water to stabilize the ski while they were in the ski. The boat driver only needs to go about 5mph. The first time my oldest did it, she did not even get her hair wet. Your kids will love it. It is a lot of fun.

Flatwaterfooter
05-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Taught my 5 year old last year. I started by just pulling him by hand from the dock to the beach. Once comfortable in the water we went out and I put him on the boom. I wrapped my barefoot hand around the boom to make a craddle and he loved it.Put the boat in gear and off he went without a problem. He would stand up on the skis and the craddle would be there for comfort if he wanted to sit back down.

This was on a set of trainer skis. The problem he had was would let the skis get behind him and they would come off his feet. He would sit down in the craddle and try to foot. Pretty Fun. 10 Minutes later he was just hanging on the handle dragging in the water and had a blast.

The key is he had fun.

tex
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
We used the skimmer off the platform trick. Pulling in the yard is great too.

MarkP
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Iím goin to take the 2 and a half year old for a tug around the yard on the Skimmer after she gets up from her nap. The boat has been home for two weeks now and thatís about all she talks about..

T Scott
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I start my son on the ski skimmer by dragging him off the beach. I start him about 6 feet from the shore line, tighten the to line and fast idle away. He drags right off the beach and skis away every time. He can now do deep water starts by himself. I first had him on the skimmer at age 3...he is almost 5 now and he loves it!!

bradamerry
05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Kaylee will be 5 in 6 days. She learned 2 weeks ago and now sking is all she can talk about... :D

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 04:28 PM
That's awesome, Brad.

MarkP
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Kaylee will be 5 in 6 days. She learned 2 weeks ago and now sking is all she can talk about... :D
Congrats to Kay lee!!!!

Great shot too!! Couldnít imagine my kids growin up without a MasterCraft..

Oh, wait.. I thought you got rid of yours?:popcorn: ??

bradamerry
05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Congrats to Kay lee!!!!

Great shot too!! Couldnít imagine my kids growin up without a MasterCraft..

Oh, wait.. I thought you got rid of yours?:popcorn: ??

I have it sold at the end of the summer... And will be pulling an ERK for a newer one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Bert
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I have it sold at the end of the summer... And will be pulling an ERK for a newer one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:
Hope it takes you less than a 1000 posts to find one;) or I will have to put ya on the ignore list

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I think he is at about 1000 posts just deciding whether or not to sell it :D

Bert
05-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Good one. Guess he gets to double up on ya :)

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Well, if people didn't post about subjects such as these, we wouldn't have the board that we currently have :D

bradamerry
05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
shouldn't you be wiping some kids butt at camp by now???? :rolleyes:

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 11:45 PM
shouldn't you be wiping some kids butt at camp by now???? :rolleyes:

Nah, not yet.....That'll have to wait until the 8th of june. I'll just drag them from the boom, that should clean them up nicely :woohoo:

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 07:16 AM
I think I was the person talking about a pully system off of the boom.

The way I teach very young kids to kneeboard, is:
1) put the boom out
2) Take a piece of rope ~10 inches, Put a snap-ring on it & tie it to itself so it makes a big loop. Now, put that on your boom just outside of where the closest cable to the boat meets the boom.
3) Take a barefoot line (or - a rope without any sections or knots it, the sections get hung up when paying the rope out) through the snap & loop it around your pilon a couple times. Have someone hold onto the rope (it won't take much force at all to hold onto the rope if you loop it 2-3 times around the pilon). I usually have enough rope so that the handle is about 1/2 way between the boom & the stern.
4) have child kneel on kneeboard on swim platform.
5) Dad holds onto the rear of the kneeboard, I hold onto the nose. We walk the kneeboard (with child on it) around the side of the boat & hand the child the rope handle.
6) Have the driver start very very slowly. Once the kneeboarder is on plane, have dad slowly let go. Then, once completely stable, I will let go.
7) After riding a while and they are able to go side to side, slowly start to pay the line out.

If at any time the kneeboarder falls (which they very rarely do), Dad goes into the water immediately. Dad needs to be there as soon as they come to the service. Sitting in the water by your self while the boat is 100' away is very intimidating for anyone new, much less a 3-8 year old.

I just tought my (just turned) 3 year old to kneeboard last weekend after she used the zip-sled last summer a couple times :D . No pic's though - everyone older than 6 months old was occupied with real duties.

Mi.mc
05-13-2006, 03:43 PM
what about teaching a 15 yr old how to waterski/ getting him motivated? my brother's been being really dumb about it and now that we have an mc ive been thinking that it's about time for him to learn..

JohnnyB
05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Started my daughter at 3 pulling her on the trainer skis hand over hand from the dock to the shore. We did this whenever she wanted to try. Just after her fifth birthday (early August) we got her behind the boat about 20feet back with my brother holding her in start position and me on the platform holding the rope. She popped right up and rode a couple hundred yards....as soon as she fell, I dove in and was right there for her. Did the same drill twice that day. That was where her courage ended for the summer.....around Easter when the boat came out she was talking tough. 1st time last summer (now six years old), I held her in start position in the water and my dad sat on the platform...had about 50 feet of rope out and she went around the 120acre lake 3-times......hope to advance her a bit more this year.

Now, her 4 year old sister, who was tubing last year, is talking about wanting to ski :firejump: :firejump:

jimmer2880
05-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Started my daughter at 3 pulling her on the trainer skis hand over hand from the dock to the shore. We did this whenever she wanted to try. Just after her fifth birthday (early August) we got her behind the boat about 20feet back with my brother holding her in start position and me on the platform holding the rope. She popped right up and rode a couple hundred yards....as soon as she fell, I dove in and was right there for her. Did the same drill twice that day. That was where her courage ended for the summer.....around Easter when the boat came out she was talking tough. 1st time last summer (now six years old), I held her in start position in the water and my dad sat on the platform...had about 50 feet of rope out and she went around the 120acre lake 3-times......hope to advance her a bit more this year.

Now, her 4 year old sister, who was tubing last year, is talking about wanting to ski :firejump: :firejump:

That's great to hear! Congrats. Sounds like you did everything right if they want to do more.