PDA

View Full Version : boat cover....

sizzler
05-02-2006, 03:57 AM
got a call from the lake the other week to say that my mooring cover was billowing around and had ripped....on inspection it had ripped at the point where the rear tiedowns connect to the cover and had "laddered"about 2ft......surely this should'nt happen to a cover thats only 2 1/2 yrs old and is stored in the winter????

i now have to bring it home of a weekend until its repaired or i buy a new one.......anyone know how much they are???? full length mooring cover

erkoehler
05-02-2006, 08:08 AM
If you go with the MasterCraft one, I believe that they are between 6-$700. usd.

I would check skiboatcovers.com and replace it through them.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Sizzler, mine (at 12 years old) developed some rips at the tie downs and on a seam. I had it repaired and has done great. Ran me about 75 USD. I'd go that route if it's just at the tie down attachment points.

maristarman
05-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Anyone have any recommendations?

I've already got a heavy duty, waterproof, trailerable cover, but it doesn't breathe.

Am looking for something light duty for the summer.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 05:52 PM
On my old boat, I found a cover sized by length and style on ebay. Ran me about $50 and did great on an old I/O stored outdoors.

Don't know if they still sell them there, but I could spot the ad if I saw it.

sizzler
05-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Sizzler, mine (at 12 years old) developed some rips at the tie downs and on a seam. I had it repaired and has done great. Ran me about 75 USD. I'd go that route if it's just at the tie down attachment points.

came back from the repairers yesterday.....had the vulnerable areas doubled-up, and had some extra "flaps,'a la ol' school" added to the sides.....will add extra tie downs to stop the flapping......cost me about 80....

Kevin 89MC
05-03-2006, 09:10 AM

I've already got a heavy duty, waterproof, trailerable cover, but it doesn't breathe.

I got the cheap one from Overton's a few years back. It seems to breathe well. Of course, it also leaked like crazy right after the warranty expired. The fabric is so thin now that I can almost see through it. I don't think even 303 will fix it, but we'll see soon! For me, it's a great cover for the 2 days a year that I have the safety bar off and there's no rain in the forecast.

BeavenX5
05-03-2006, 09:36 AM

If aeration is your concern and want your good cover to breath, I saw a cool system on my friend's new custom fit cover for his MC. It consist of 2 little plastic vents inserted in the cover that allows airflow through it but prevents rain to get in. A bit similar but smaller to house roof vents (but smaller).
I will be looking for a similar kit in the next few days for my new MC cover as I just got a realy bad experience with mold this last week-end.
JC

east tx skier
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
came back from the repairers yesterday.....had the vulnerable areas doubled-up, and had some extra "flaps,'a la ol' school" added to the sides.....will add extra tie downs to stop the flapping......cost me about 80....

Money well spent. I had some of the spots on mine reinforced with sunbrella.

ntidsl
05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
I HAD TO MODIFY MY MC COVER TO ACCOMODATE TIE OFF LINES...2005 tt 197...ITS BEING DONE NOW...I CANT BELIEVE I DIDNT CHECK WITH YOU GUYS FIRST ON THIS...ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ALSO...WHAT IS THE 2 PIECES OF VELCRO FOR ON THE COVER? ONE ON EACH SIDE?

AND ON THE TRAILER, STARBOARD SIDE, WHAT IS THAT CLIP ON THE TRAILER ON THE WHEEEL COVER?

sizzler
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
the new panel that the repairer put in is twice as heavy as the original fabric.....not a perfect match,but it'll do.....the re-inforcing is very substantial and shouldn't perish as quickly.....i had extra tie downs put on and these keep the cover very tight...wont be up there for a couple of weeks as i,ve been invited down to st.tropez to spend the weekend on one of these (http://www.rodriguezgroup.com/en/gamme/gamme.asp?gamme=mangusta) ......the 108' version....i'lll let you know what the wake was like :cool:

east tx skier
05-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Mine's not a perfect match either, but, as you say, substantial by comparison.

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
I had my own factory MC cover repaired a few years ago. Extra reinforcement on top of the windshield & at each of the tent pole snaps where it had worn thin. Plus they made the cutouts for the tower. $50 for it & the cover is still with me today.
But I had a chance to get a good sunbrella cover a couple years ago & can't say enough good things about it. The little vents in the other brands are only good if the rain is going straight down. Get a little wind in the right direction & they drain like a kitchen sink.
Any local shop can make a pretty descent cover from Sunbrella. Or you can go for the best & get a Rankin (http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_tower_accessories/rankin_boat_cover) that is trailerable at freeway speeds. These babies rock & don't require the stupid tent poles to keep from pooling up.

Mi.mc
05-18-2006, 10:14 PM
i need to get a replacement cover- when we (my family) bought our 88 ps 190 it came with a moldy tarp like cover that doesnt have enough vertical support (it has a piece of pvc pipe going off the pylon) to keep the h20 out.