PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4150 Help and update

wesgardner
05-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey All,

Started on the carb rebuild and here's what I found - the jets in the primary metering block side are not the same jet number - one is an 84, the other is a 75...I had read in the red Holley rebuild handbook that on "RARE" occasions there are two different jets on the "same side" - but I was curious so I broke open the secondary metering block and looked at the jet #'s and low and behold - one's an 84 and the other is a 75...hmmmm...is this one of those "RARE" occassions or is it more likely the last person to rebuild this carb was smoking crack and mixed the jets up...hmmm...

What is conventional wisdom and then step two, what do I do - logic says that the same jet #'s go in the same metering block - so do I put the 84's in the primary side and the 75's in the secondary....

Bear in mind, this boat HAS been running like this for the two years I've owned it...I just don't know jack about jetting carbs - anyone want to take a swing at this one?

http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm

This leads me to believe someone was having a bad day in the "lab"...the list # for my carb 9029 - says 75 F anf 84 R - I assume this means put both 75's in the front (primary metering block) and the 84's go in the rear (secondary metering block)

Maybe this will make my boat run a bit better :D :D How on earth have they tuned this thing :confused: :confused:

scott88prostar
05-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Just another thing to consider..the rebuild kit I recieved from skidim and summit had the wrong power valve.

Brn85ss
05-02-2006, 10:41 AM
What size powervalve did you end up using?

wesgardner
05-02-2006, 05:52 PM
The carb rebuild was REALLY successful restoring the power and smoothness all 'round - I do have a slight fuel leak at the fuel line where it threads into the larger fitting containing the small fule filter - what kind of pipe dope/compound should I use?

Wes

MarkP
05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
The carb rebuild was REALLY successful restoring the power and smoothness all 'round - I do have a slight fuel leak at the fuel line where it threads into the larger fitting containing the small fule filter - what kind of pipe dope/compound should I use?

Wes
Aaaah, just let it go..

Or maybe a bad fitting or fuel line..

pkskier
05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Use teflon tape easiest and the least messiest.

Hunterb
05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't think teflon tape will work well on a fuel line. I was having the exact some problem after a carb rebuild last summer. I tried tightening the bejeezus out of it etc. I ended up buying some stuff at the local auto parts store that is a whitish liquid that comes in a tiny tube. I'm at work and it's at home so I can't tell you the name of the stuff right now. It worked great. No more leak and the label claims you can disassemble the parts again easily.
Post back if you haven't solved this problem and I will get the name of the stuff if you want. I'm sure if you go to your local parts store and ask for a thread sealer that is suitable for a fuel line they will have something.

Good luck.

Bruce

wesgardner
05-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Hey Bruce,

Thanks...there was some whitish residue on the threads when I disassebled it...

Thanks again

Wes

hz900
05-04-2006, 10:33 AM
I've used Teflon tape on fuel injection fittings in cars several times before and never had a problem.

Brn85ss
05-04-2006, 10:41 AM
It's thread sealer you can buy it at your auto parts store.It's not pipe dope pipe dope is a tread lube not a sealer.I use the sealer all the time works great on low torque fastners and stays flexible.Your gasket might need to be replaced on the carb fitting.

Hunterb
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Wes,

I looked in my toolbox last night for the name of the stuff I used. It's Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealer. It's white and comes in a tiny tube and was about $5.00 (In Canada). In a perfect world you wouldn't need any sealer on that fitting because it's a pressure fit and the threads really aren't supposed to be sealing anything.......but in a perfect world I'd be a billionaire movie star and I'd be able to pay someone to fix my boat....but I'm not...... so I used thread sealer.

Seriously, it is very important that no fuel is leaking from that fitting.

Bruce

wesgardner
05-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Bruce,

Thanks man, I got the Permatex and rode all afternoon yesterday without a leak....