PDA

View Full Version : Lift, Trailer or Other?

jeffrpod
05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for a little advise. I plan to (picture me with fingers crossed) take delivery of an 06 X2 in about a month. I live lake front and have a dock with a set of boat whips. I didn't order a trailer because I planned to get a lift. However, I've come to learn that the X2 has a 27" draft and the lift with the least clearence I could needs 9" of depth below the boat. It just so happens that our lake is running dry this year and I currently only have about 24" of water at my dock (now picture me praying for rain). At most I'll only get another 20" of water, but our lake level tends to run low towards the end of the season.

Should I:
1. Order a trailer
2. Extend my dock and hope I get a good 3' of water towards the end.
3. Use the whips and winterize the boat on blocks (however, this doesn't help when the water level drops)
4. Other????

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions!

erkoehler
05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I would HAVE to have a trailer.....so, my vote is for you to get the trailer, hope for rain, and if availabe extend your pier.

erkoehler
05-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Try checking with local marinas, they may have used pier sections available that you can get CHEAP!

SKI*MC
05-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I woould get a trailer. Because, eventaully the boat will need service, and you will want to transport it to other lakes i'm sure. I think your best choice would be to order a trailer.

east tx skier
05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't know what I'd do without a trailer.

ajgressette
05-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I was told by one of the design engineers at Mastercraft not to store their boats for extended periods of time off the trailer. I have a boat hoist but only use it for weekends.

88 PS190
05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
if your bunks are designed well there is no issue using lifts. all the old boats are a testament to that

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Lifts are fine if they fit the boat well. I'd still think twice about not having a trailer. Nothing worse than not being able to move it around if you need work done on it or decide to take the boat on a vacation.

Leroy
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Get a shovel and do some diggin!:steering:

Leroy
05-01-2006, 09:31 PM
What will you do in the winter? Don't you have to take it off the lake?

BeavenX5
05-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I have 1 friend (MC) and 2 neibours (Bu) without trailers. They just get the dealer to pick-up, wash, winterize, store and deliver their boat every year for about $500. Noting wrong with that...

Now if you take the money saved from the trailer and invest in that amaising floating lift we saw in here a few weeks ago, you could put you boat either at the mooring or at the dock using that lift. That tread is called "I got my boat lift today!!!!!!!!!!!!! " and the boatlift is a sunstream floatlift.
http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/ssc/floatlift.html

Just another tought..... :wavey:

PS: how do you post the link to another thread?

erkoehler
05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Copy and paste the website URL...

jeffrpod
05-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the input.

To address the "No Trailer" concerns...almost everyone I know that lives lake front (owns a dock, boat house, lift, etc.) doesn't have or doesn't use a trailer. I can get service right on my dock, or drive it by water to the dealer. I don't like to trailer the boat anywhere - since I do it so infrequently I find it very stressful. I had planned to winterize the boat right on the lift and run a bubbler - but I think that may not be possible due to the low water.

My latest idea is to install an overhead strap style lift since they need no extra water depth. I currently have 2 concrete bulkheads about 20 feet from shore. I need another set about 15' further out, but they do not allow concrete anymore. I'll check into some other hoisting structure....

Any other ideas are still welcome!!!

erkoehler
05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Do you have a picture of your setup?

Leroy
05-01-2006, 11:01 PM
So you can't dig a boat width section 2-3 feet deeper so a regular lift would work?

jeffrpod
05-01-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't see why I could not dig out a stretch of sand and sink the lift. Won't the area file back in with sand preventing the lift from going to the bottom? I like the suggestion, do you have experience with this sort of setup?

BuoyChaser
05-01-2006, 11:19 PM
I have 1 friend (MC) and 2 neibours (Bu) without trailers. They just get the dealer to pick-up, wash, winterize, store and deliver their boat every year for about $500. Noting wrong with that...

Now if you take the money saved from the trailer and invest in that amaising floating lift we saw in here a few weeks ago, you could put you boat either at the mooring or at the dock using that lift. That tread is called "I got my boat lift today!!!!!!!!!!!!! " and the boatlift is a sunstream floatlift.
http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/ssc/floatlift.html

Just another tought..... :wavey:

PS: how do you post the link to another thread?
these sunstream setups are great, but what is the true cost...they look wicked heavy with no wheel setups, how would you get out of the water every-year???flatbed trailer???

my water level never goes down, but yet i have over 5' water plus 5'+ of muck that I've yet to find bottom!!!