PDA

View Full Version : Wheels can fall off!

Jimperry
05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Remember to periodically check the lugs on your trailer wheels. Especially on the 2000 MC trailers. I had a wheel fall off at 70 mph and it was pretty scarry. I was very fortunate that it didn't cause an accident. MasteCraft was nice enough to cover the damage under warranty. What a great company!

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow!! Freaky!! Glad no one got hurt!!

Ric
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Remember to periodically check the lugs on your trailer wheels. Especially on the 2000 MC trailers. I had a wheel fall off at 70 mph and it was pretty scarry. I was very fortunate that it didn't cause an accident. MasteCraft was nice enough to cover the damage under warranty. What a great company!
yikes!!!! pics please.... what broke? the lugs, the axle, the wheel?? we definitely want to know

Jimperry
05-01-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't have pics but one of the lugs broke off and two others stripped as the lug nuts pulled off. I was going down I-95 through St. Augusting, FL at the time. When the wheel came off, it distroyed the fiberglass fender. The wheel was no where to be found but fortunately I did have a spare. With great dificulty, I was able to get the trailer jacked up and I got the spare on with two lug nuts. I made the remainder 300+ miles home to south Fl with no further problems. Thanks to the trailer guards, there was no damage to the boat.

SKI*MC
05-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Good to hear no one was hurt. Is MC giving you a new fender and wheel and what not, whats the plan with that?

Jimperry
05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I already have the new wheel. They replaced both hubs. They are replacing the fender which is still on order. They covered all parts and labor.

Ric
05-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I already have the new wheel. They replaced both hubs. They are replacing the fender which is still on order. They covered all parts and labor.
jim make sure they replaced the leaf springs too, there was a recall on those .

SkiDog
05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
TMC#1 had something simular happen to him a few years ago.

Mi.mc
05-20-2006, 11:51 PM
TMC#1 had something simular happen to him a few years ago.

were his damages covered?

TMCNo1
05-21-2006, 10:05 AM
No, it was Ron Decker in 1989 on our first trip to Cypress gardens, who lost 4 of 5 lug studs that broke off, his stupidity, he W-D 40'd his studs prior to installing lug nuts. In 2002, I just had 1 lug nut break off, and Skidog found it and he took me to his tire man and we replaced a tire we blew and replaced the broken lug nut. 2 foot deep potholes on I-95 are tough on tires! Was to meet Skidog for lunch in Brunswick, Ga and at that time he didn't even own a MC. The tire didn't actually blow, the belt broke and the tire went egg shaped and created one heck of a vibration, same thing happened last year coming home fron East Coast Reunion in TN on the van and Sam's Club replaced it with the extra tire I carry, just in case!

In most cases it's easier to just replace the tire [road hazard] or lug nuts/studs [cheap] out of your pockets, but if trailer damage occurs, your insurance may cover it.
When I broke the lugnut stud, when I got home I replaced all the studs with MOROSO high strength/screw in the back of the rotor/hex head studs for security reasons and got some spares and a allenwrench socket to fit the studs to go on a ratchet to ease replacement if necessary.

Larryp
05-21-2006, 11:01 AM
So what you are telling me is my 2000 model mastercraft trailer is no more desireable than my 99 prostar. How can I ever move up to a x-9.

bigmac
05-21-2006, 11:07 AM
I had a wheel come off at 30 mph on a single axle trailer hauling my I/O from the ramp to home. The (left side) tire rolled over to the right and hit the side of a pickup parked about 30 feet off the road. When the lug nuts/bolts flew off, they hit a car going the opposite direction - oddly, he didn't stop. I had to call a flat-bed tow truck to get the thing home. The damage to the hub drum was enough that I had to replace it too, as well as the steel fender. What a pain.

ted shred
05-21-2006, 02:55 PM
From what I have read, the main reason lugs break off is from not being evenly torqued down to the proper spec with a torque wrench. On most boat trailers the proper spec is on the lug bolts.

Farmer Ted
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
No, it was Ron Decker in 1989 on our first trip to Cypress gardens, who lost 4 of 5 lug studs that broke off, his stupidity, he W-D 40'd his studs prior to installing lug nuts. In 2002, I just had 1 lug nut break off, and Skidog found it and he took me to his tire man and we replaced a tire we blew and replaced the broken lug nut. 2 foot deep potholes on I-95 are tough on tires! Was to meet Skidog for lunch in Brunswick, Ga and at that time he didn't even own a MC. The tire didn't actually blow, the belt broke and the tire went egg shaped and created one heck of a vibration, same thing happened last year coming home fron East Coast Reunion in TN on the van and Sam's Club replaced it with the extra tire I carry, just in case!

In most cases it's easier to just replace the tire [road hazard] or lug nuts/studs [cheap] out of your pockets, but if trailer damage occurs, your insurance may cover it.
When I broke the lugnut stud, when I got home I replaced all the studs with MOROSO high strength/screw in the back of the rotor/hex head studs for security reasons and got some spares and a allenwrench socket to fit the studs to go on a ratchet to ease replacement if necessary.

That happened with Marathons?

TMCNo1
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
That happened with Marathons?

I don't run Marathons, I have always run Mastercraft Tires, 225/70R15 on 15x8 wheels on boat trailer and 235/60R15 on 15x8 wheels on the Astro Van. I have a infa-red temp gauge and have never had any kind of problem with tire temps, tire wear, or handling as I have run them since 1992, nearly 20,000 miles. My van tires actually run warmer than the tires on our single axle boat trailer. We hit a 2' deep pothole on a concrete ramp from I-26 to I-95 and there was about 8 miles of I-95 that was the same way, due to bad concrete mix, per the SC DOT. It was like a minefield! That streach of road had more torn up tires than any highway in the Southeast according to them. They have since repaired all that concrete, one reason was claims filed against the SCDOT for damages to tires and vehicle suspension components, because of their sorry maintenance to that section of roaway.
Last year we went in and out of the resort in TN about 3 times, and they were putting in water lines across the asphalt road in 2' wide ditches, filled with gravel, plus the 12 mile road leading into the resort was all to pieces with potholes on least 1/2 the road and 1/2 the road was just over 1 lane wide, so we got damage to the van tire, that we didn't realize, till we were on the trip home. Any tire can just take so much abuse before it fails. I carry a MC full size spare on the boat trailer and one in the van, plus an extra spare tire, just in case, on long trips. You live and learn!