PDA

View Full Version : New to Mastercraft...

sanjuan23
05-01-2006, 11:38 AM
First off thanks to Eastie for all the behind the scenes help last week. We are taking the plunge on a new to us '92 Mastercraft 205 this week and cant wait to put her in the water. I have had a couple of practice "sessions" with my Brother in-laws '87 190. Heck stuck her on the trailer first go last night. I know this is a worn out thread but just wanted a bit more advice. What should I do aside from a good cleaning, at the beginning of the season to hope for a "problem free" summer? Thanks in advance for all the help I am sure to receive. Great forum group cannot believe what I have already learned before I pick up the boat. :woohoo:

east tx skier
05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Welcome SJ23, glad you were able to slug your way through the registration process.

I'd go ahead and order a new impeller (johnson 812) from skidim and replace that first thing. If you don't know that the oil and transmission fluid was changed, go ahead and change it. Check the spark plugs and change them if need be.

After cleaning the boat up, wax the hull really good. Clean the interior and spray it down with 303 protectant. Spray the vinyl every couple of outings and give it a good wax periodically (about 3 times per season if it's stored indoors).

Make sure the trailer tires are in good shape and chack the brake fluid reservoir on the trailer.

The rest can probably wait. Don't forget to put the plug in.

Have fun.

Where in Texas are you again?

skitilldark
05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
And if you're really a fanatic about keeping the hull brand new looking, get a couple of bottles of hull cleaner and some rubber gloves. best thing you can use to keep the hull sparkling.

bigmac
05-01-2006, 11:58 AM
And if you're really a fanatic about keeping the hull brand new looking, get a couple of bottles of hull cleaner and some rubber gloves. best thing you can use to keep the hull sparkling.

But if you're gonna use hull cleaner, don't forget to wax it aftward - that acid will strip all the wax right off.

sanjuan23
05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Smack dab in the middle of the DFW Arlington Texas.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I recommend a full tune up. plugs, wires, PCV, convert to an electronic ignition(get rid of the points), fuel filters, Carb rebuild if needed. change all fluids, trans fluid and oil. replace the battery, as eastie said, change your impellor. change thermostat if you even suspect it may not be right. I replaced mine last year, and it made the boat run much better. cheap and easy. grease all fittings. remove prop, grease shaft and reinstall, and torque to correct specs. check all lights on trailer. pull and inspect wheel bearings, repack iwth grease OR replace if needed. Keep some basic tools in case of a break down at the lake, a basic tool kit, needle nose visegrips, di-electric grease, sandpaper, wirebrush, wd-40, wire strippers, extra wire, scotch locks or wire nuts, extra impellor, extra bilge blower, extra drive belt,

and yes, remember to put the plug in!

east tx skier
05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Good deal. Lots of MC owners around you!

bradamerry
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the board and congrats on the boat!!!!

skitilldark
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
But if you're gonna use hull cleaner, don't forget to wax it aftward - that acid will strip all the wax right off.

Good advice. I wax all the time so I forget about that part.