PDA

View Full Version : New Mastercraft Owner

boatdad
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
New to the Mastercraft Family, will take delivery soon (Next Week) of a 2007 X-15. Last summer I purchased a new I/O but sold it because the family wanted a better Ski/WakeBoard Boat. What areas of concern should I have if any with this boat. I bought the Mastercraft because of the reputation and not the price-OUCH. Plus it looks pretty cool too. Hopefully the Wisconsin weather will cooperate again this year. Please support Global Warming!

92 190 PS
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
:woohoo: You shouldn't have any concerns with your new boat. Mastercrafts are great boats and you get what you pay for. Not sure if you're familiar with this site or not, but it's priceless when it comes to anything you ever want to know about mastercrafts. From maintaining the boat to every day work you'll need to keep it running like new. Search engine at the top right of the page is good for your specific quesions. If you can't find what you're looking for there just post your question and someone will be along shortly to help you out....

Again welcome :) and get some pictures up here when you get the boat...

bradamerry
05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Learn how to back it up.

kalanic
05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Welocome aboard! As stated above this site is priceless! I have added stereo components, batteries, & changed out parts all with the help of this site & the people that contribute to it. Alot of good info form good people!

boatdad
05-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I can back up pretty well. Yes it's fun to watch the people who can't. Now watch, the first time with this boat I screw up. Hope not.

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I think what Brad was saying is that these type of boats will not back up (in the water) like your I/O does. Practice out in open water on learning to manuveur the boat so you don't mess up at the dock.

bigmac
05-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Learn how to back it up.

Then teach us...

trainwreck_6
05-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm one of those "new to me" owners ya'll are laughing at...! I've never owned a boat before, not to mention a MasterCraft. :D Like anything else, practice, practice and more practice. Except this "practice" is fun!

east tx skier
05-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Welcome. And what jrandol said. Practice backing away from things that scratch the gel coat. And as trailering goes, depending on how much room you have to the left and the right as you're coming toward the trailer, there is a point of no return. The boat does not steer without power. Go slow, line it up. Don't decide you don't like it at the last minute and slam it into reverse for a go-around. It won't be pretty if you do and there's a pier next to you.

That's why my wife is the best darned trailer-backer in the world today. ;)

/and no, my boat did not make contact with said pier. I was quick, fearless, and got wet. :D

boatdad
05-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I'm sure your right. I have heard the boat handles much different than a I/O. I'm a neat freak so any scratches from the dock/trailer will kill me.

I did see a posting regarding Mastercraft Stickers on the back of trucks. I was givin one and will have it on soon.

bradamerry
05-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Then teach us...
use reverse.....................

east tx skier
05-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Basically, just remember that when you put it into reverse, the rear of the boat will swing to the right. So backing up in a straight line takes a lot of nudging forward with the wheel turned a bit to the right, then some backing. Once you get used to it, it's nothing to worry about. But it's not something you want to learn in close quarters. Get some pictures on here when you take delivery!

skitilldark
05-01-2006, 12:03 PM
boatdad, welcome to the site. And welcome to the world of mastercraft. You'll never regret the decision. My advice(after destroying two boat buddies on two different boats) is to learn how deep(or not deep in my case) to back the trailer in for the best angle to use this device. if you get it right, it will be the best tool you'll ever have. But if you're a moron like me, you won't get the angle right, the bow hook will catch in the front"v" and when you try to power through it, the boat will slip out of that "v" and lunge forward on the trailer-destroying the boat buddy. Just take your time and learn it right from the start.

Jerseydave
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Boatdad,

Welcome, and may I say that's a nice boat to have as your first MC!
Congrats, and we need pictures!!!

BTW, where will you be running her?

boatdad
05-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I'll have pictures when I learn to hook up the camera to the computer. Somewhat challenged in that area. I'll have my son work on it. Looking forward to the boat. It's certainly nicer than what I need but my wife and kids really wanted it.

School Skier
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Welcome boatdad!
I too am from Wisconsin!
You'll have many years of enjoyment from you're new M/C. We went the M/C route like you. My wife had a hard time steering the ol' 90 hp evinrude OB. These boats handle like fighter planes, fast!
Have many years of fun boatdad!

Datdude
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Congrats on the new boat!!!

Where in Wisconsin are you going to use the new boat?

Leroy
05-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Welcome Boatdad!

Get ready for a lot of stares, finger pointing, and comments on how nice it looks!

Welcome aboard!!!

boatdad
05-01-2006, 04:44 PM
We'll be using the boat around South Eastern Wisconsin. We do get out to the Dells area and North around Oskosh. We'll go anywhere looking for nice water.

bigmac
05-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Basically, just remember that when you put it into reverse, the rear of the boat will swing to the right. So backing up in a straight line takes a lot of nudging forward with the wheel turned a bit to the right, then some backing. Once you get used to it, it's nothing to worry about. But it's not something you want to learn in close quarters. Get some pictures on here when you take delivery!

Yeh, you have to approach a dock so that it's on your right. Come in at an angle, idle it into reverse and it will slow and swing parallel into the dock. Boat lifts and trailers can be a little tricky - I've found you just have to power it in - you won't get much steering unless the prop is turning forward. With my I/O, I was always leery of hitting the prop when loading it on the trailer, but the prop guard on the trailer means that won't happen with your MasterCraft - you can drive it right on (I'm told).

kalanic
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes bigmac is right, you can drive your new MC Right on to the trailer. Very nice! I sometimes come in a few inches of the Boat Buddy, but then I just wench it in, no prob! As soon as the water is about an inch from the top of the fenders is good.

LakeZoar32
05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Backing up the trailer is easy but after more than 17 years of trying to back up any MC, I use the boat hook. The last five years I've even been on my own dock on the lake.
I think this goes for any inboard... :cool:

Datdude
05-02-2006, 08:43 PM
We'll be using the boat around South Eastern Wisconsin. We do get out to the Dells area and North around Oskosh. We'll go anywhere looking for nice water.

I am originally from Waukeha, but live in Minocqua now. You should plan a trip up here sometime, as there are some awesome lakes around here. I am guessing you use Nagawicka and Pewaukee?

boatdad
05-03-2006, 08:33 AM
I am originally from Waukeha, but live in Minocqua now. You should plan a trip up here sometime, as there are some awesome lakes around here. I am guessing you use Nagawicka and Pewaukee?
Minocqua is a nice area. I used to spend time noth of there in Conover and Boulder Junction. It's been about 25 years since I've been up that far. Any recomendations on where to stay in the area? It has to be nice, clean and have a bar!
Yes we use those lakes at times but to crowded. We found a nice lake in the Oskosh area. Big and lots of room to play and not to crowded because it is a big lake.