PDA

View Full Version : Low Country, SC skiers, got a ??.....

rabooze
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Has anyone ever done a run from Bushy Park, on the freshwater side, all the way up to Lake Marion though the locks? Some friends of mine were tlaking about doing a trip and was curious if you can get up there via Bushy Park. It looks like you should be able to on the map, justn ot sure about the water depth on the more narrow parts of it. :confused:

ajgressette
05-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Yea you can. Use a depth sounder if you have one. And call to find out what times they run the locks. I think its only twice a day. If you cant find a number call the DNR in Columbia or the USCG in Charleston.

rabooze
05-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Appreciate the help! Someone told me lake Marion is a stump haven and to continue through it to Moultrie to ski after coming out of the locks. True?

ajgressette
05-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Stump haven is not even the word for it. Its just not safe to run an inboard on these lakes because of all the stumps. This is one of the reason I have one of the outboards. I have seen the damage a stump can do to an inboard and IT AINT PRETTY!! :eek:

FlyingFreeman
05-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Moultrie is the lower lake (which is at the locks @ Jeffries Generating Station). Marion is the upper lake above the diversion canal @ Cross.

Be careful as you pass the areas up stream from the T's and the East Branch of the Cooper which is at the beginning of your trip. The river winds (meanders) and if you are not vigilant, you will end up in a rice field. It's kind of tough navigating, so take it easy. I haven't spent much time in this area, but I have seen some boaters go full speed into the ricefields which have depths less than one foot. You can pick out the channel by the way the grass stretches along the edges of the channel. Go slow and look closely-- you'll see what I'm talking about. If you see the depth shallow up to 5 or 10 feet, you'll know you're heading for trouble. I think the channel is about 20 feet+.

As far as the lake, you should stick to the channel markers. I know someone who used to make the trip from Pimlico to Goat Island Restaurant frequently (located just outside of Manning (Taw Caw Creek)). It's a nice outing and a cool place to eat-- just ate there for the first time tonight.

Taking your time downstream of the railroad trussel at Mepkin Abbey through the ricefields I described earlier, you'll be fine to the locks. Use a lake map and stick to the channel markers, and you'll be fine across Lake Moultrie. Stop in or call ahead to some of the marinas along your intended route and ask about navigation in their area or hazards that you should be aware of. The people are generally very friendly and helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

rabooze
05-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I go out in Bushy Park a lot and have always wondered if Icould just take it all the way up to Tail Race and beyond. Your advice will probably save me a new prop and an unintended landing. Now I just have to teach my riders the signal for "gator in the water". :dance:

ajgressette
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
GATORS? WHAT GATORS.........LOL. :D

DO NOT WEAR "YUM YUM YELLOW" IN THE WATER! :headbang:

BriEOD
05-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Where were you last summer!!

I just moved from Charleston (Summerville). We put in just about every warm weekend on the Tail Race Canal at "The Dock" (Gilligans as of 2 years ago) for 4 years. It is probably a mile or two before you get to the lock between Lake Moultrie and the Tail Race.

To answer your question, yes. You can ride all the way up from Bushy Park to the Tail Race, go through the lock, up on Lake Moultrie, over to Lake Marion and probably up to Columbia. A lot of people ride up from Bushy to Gilligans and eat. Their is a dock to tie up at. You can't miss the resteraunt it is on stilts and is half way on the water.

We loved it out there. Plenty of Gators to see. You can also see the Monestary and some of the houses on the Tail Race.

Good Luck.