PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ballast?

Jerseydave
05-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I've heard of people using weight other than water, for example sand or lead. I've been toying with the idea of using old lead wheel weights in small rubbermaid containers. I already tried 2 in the boat, about 100 lbs. each! They don't take up much space, and can be moved around.

Anyone ever try this?

The trailer will handle the extra weight fine, and so will my truck.

mitch
05-01-2006, 09:47 AM
lead is very popular, and many get it melted into bars, and coated.

I've heard of people using weight other than water, for example sand or lead. I've been toying with the idea of using old lead wheel weights in small rubbermaid containers. I already tried 2 in the boat, about 100 lbs. each! They don't take up much space, and can be moved around.

Anyone ever try this?

The trailer will handle the extra weight fine, and so will my truck.

TMCNo1
05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Melt the lead down and have it molded into a slimmie to put over in the observer seat. Just don't post any pictures of her lead azz anywhere in a questionable skimpy bikini!

FLRunner
05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
The water ballasts can be drained before the boat is put back on the trailer. The issue would be staying within the trailer weight limit when towing.

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I had 14 cinder blocks in the back of my boat last Friday afternoon. The one chance I had to get above idle all weekend I was tooling to the setup spot at about 25 mph when I got to the spot another person in a different boat said they could see my tracking fins the whole time I was on a plane :rolleyes:

Not the most ideal weight setup as they take up some room but they are cheap and readily available. :uglyhamme

Lottawatta
05-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Think about this.
Case A: I use 1000 pounds of water for ballast, I hit a submerged object, or forget my drain plug, or take a tidal wave over the side and my boat is filled with water right up to the gunnel. I know I won't sink because my boat is made to be neutrally bouyant when filled with water.
Case B: I fill my boat with 1000 pounds of lead as ballast and hit an object, my boat is now 1000 pounds heavier. It goes to the bottom....and quick.

Which would you rather have?

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Think about this.
Case A: I use 1000 pounds of water for ballast, I hit a submerged object, or forget my drain plug, or take a tidal wave over the side and my boat is filled with water right up to the gunnel. I know I won't sink because my boat is made to be neutrally bouyant when filled with water.
Case B: I fill my boat with 1000 pounds of lead as ballast and hit an object, my boat is now 1000 pounds heavier. It goes to the bottom....and quick.

The man has an incredibly good point thar!!! :friday:

jrhollow
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
The advantage of using water is that if you take on water your boat won't sink to the bottom. Once the interior fills up, the water ballast is neutral....with lead you better have scuba gear.

SKI*MC
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
also, water you can get rid of, incase you want to slalom, but the boat on a lift trailer, ect.. Water does take up more space, but it is always there. I would just get a pat sac, or a few friends in the boat.

RobertT
05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I use a little lead sometimes, but would never put in 1000 pounds.

I melted it down and poured it into 3" and 4" pvc pipe that I put caps on the end. A little tubular webbing for handles, and its perfect. I keep one under the observers seat to balance things out, and I keep five more no the dock for when we want to board. I thought they would be about 50lbs each, but they are closer to 85 or 90 each. Make sure you keep them sealed, you dont want lead dust all over your boat.

Leroy
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
That is thinking Lottawatta! Unless you are doing something where you want something on the bottom, get fat sacs.

Think about this.

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Those Malibus make great anchors, I think we need to recommend more of them use lead ballast instead of water!! :woohoo:

Lottawatta
05-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Also: Try explaining to your insurance company why you had lead in your boat when they start asking questions about why your boat sunk and they have to pay a recovery bill. They know your boat is designed to float at water level when swamped.

Another thought: Excess weight in the back of the boat will definitely lighten the tongue weight.

just my 2 cents

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Gee Mr. Insurance agent, I don't know how all that lead got in there??? It must be all them fisherman losing weights off their bottom bouncers :rolleyes: Yeah thats it :dance:

SKI*MC
05-01-2006, 04:51 PM
When i was at wakeboard camp, one of my instructors used buck shot in bags, and kept it up in the bow. It worked well.

jbfootin
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
You can always go trolling with a whopper or Krispy Kream for some large marges for the back seat. If the boat does start to go down they can always swim also! :rolleyes:

SKI*MC
05-01-2006, 05:04 PM
You can always go trolling with a whopper or Krispy Kream for some large marges for the back seat. If the boat does start to go down they can always swim also! :rolleyes:

yes... i believe fat sacs were already meansioned here... :uglyhamme

ss4000+
05-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Just a thought, maybe the reason some people buy a Mastercraft is because there is no wake, you guys are trying to make one. Us slalom junkies take the back seat out and just put 5 gallons of gas in to keep the wake small. Who can afford a big wake these days any how?

ss4000+
05-01-2006, 10:05 PM
back in the day all we had was large marges to get in the back of the boat, boy do I miss those high school days. It would have been cheaper to get a fat sac than to feed them though. Everyone thought I was into big girls, but really I was into big wakes and just wanted to get some.... air.

ksdaoski
05-01-2006, 10:14 PM
where do you get the used lead?

ss4000+
05-01-2006, 10:19 PM
what ever you do, don't ask your wife for help in that area!!!!!!!

Jerseydave
05-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Wheel weights from tire shops. They're glad to give them to you!

I wasn't thinking of 1000# of lead, that wouldn't be too smart.
I did have 200# in there saturday, with 8 people it made a pretty nice wake for boarding. (03 230VRS)

I'll stop there until I get some fat sacs.

I was a slalom junkie years ago, but with no course it gets a little boring. Plus the younger crowd just wants to wakeboard. (including my 12 year old)

mitch
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
NJ, Water really is the way to go. I have 1100 lbs all hidden, w/ 5 pumps, and love it. It's a DD and I can go back to slalom in minutes.