PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rhino? Coat

teddy
04-30-2006, 11:28 PM
I bought a 92 PS 190 last year. The previous owner had Rhino (or something similar) coated everything. The original color was white and the trialer is a black rough looking product that looks dirty all the time as the road dust clings to the texture. I am not pleased with the appearance and intend to change it.

I am looking for advice on getting the product off. The sandblaster is concerned that the blasting won't work as it will just bounce off. I have tried a heat gun and it was very slow and not very effective. The stuff heats up and gets soft but is so thick and gooey that I can spread it around but it doesn't come off very easily.

Any suggestions from anyone who has removed this stuff would be appreciated.

PendO
04-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Take it to Alaska (or northern Canada) in the middle of winter and break it off piece by piece ... or I wonder what would happen if you used compressed gas to supercool it and break it off ... but I bet you find a lot of rust under the coating, as that is why it was likely put there in the first place.

I bought a 92 PS 190 last year. The previous owner had Rhino (or something similar) coated everything. The original color was white and the trialer is a black rough looking product that looks dirty all the time as the road dust clings to the texture. I am not pleased with the appearance and intend to change it.

I am looking for advice on getting the product off. The sandblaster is concerned that the blasting won't work as it will just bounce off. I have tried a heat gun and it was very slow and not very effective. The stuff heats up and gets soft but is so thick and gooey that I can spread it around but it doesn't come off very easily.

Any suggestions from anyone who has removed this stuff would be appreciated.

88 PS190
05-01-2006, 12:59 AM
if its rhino liner it could be tricky... you could try hitting it w/ some brake fluid. might do something, do it in a hidden area. I doubt this would be efficient but might well be a solvent.

ajgressette
05-01-2006, 04:20 AM
I have Rhino Liner in a few company trucks and chemical solvents wont touch this stuff. If I were you I would get a gal. or two of good quality Lacquer Thinner and clean it to remove any oil residue and glue carpet down.

ajgressette
05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
OK im an idiot. :uglyhamme I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the inside of the boat not the trailer. You may be able to get an good epoxy (OIL) paint to stick if prep. well.

flipper
05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
A 4 inch grinder with a coarse wheel works. Takes a while. Paint stripper might work, like jasco or something.

teddy
05-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks Flipper What kind of wheel are you suggesting? I have a grinder but I don't want to scar the metal.

87 TriStar 190
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I am redoing my trailer this year. I finished painting on Sunday and reassembled lights, etc. yesterday. I sanded and painted the axles too as they were really beat up from stone chips. I considered using a bed liner paint there to avoid chipping because it is so tough. Should I stay away from that and just plan to repaint every few years? Looking for suggestions.

I had a boat buddy put on last fall and I needed to paint that new bare metal. One thing led to another and now the trailer looks like new again. I am also replacing the carpeted step pads by the fenders with diamond plate. It's being made and should be finished this week. The good news is that it's ready for the water now.

teddy
05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
The thing I really dislike about the bedliner type material is it looks dirty all the time. It doesn't chip which is nice but the texture seems to hold the dirt such that even after you wash it, it looks dirty.

Sodar
05-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I know that your goal is to get rid of it and all, but if you go to the place that installs/sprays the bedliner, they have a kit that rejuvinates the stuff and makes it shine. My little brother has Line-x and he bought the Line-x version of the restorer and it made his bed look like had just been sprayed. Might be worth a try before trying to get rid of the stuff...

teddy
08-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Sodar Ski

Your trailer reno was my inspiration and am almost done. I found Powder Coating of Kalispell in Montana had an oven big enough to powder coat my trailer. They didn't want to sandblast the bedliner off as they say the sand bounces off the liner. They quoted me a range of $250 to $800 depending on how well the trailer was prepped.

We were on vacation with the boat in the water so for the first week we skied a couple of sets in the morning and then worked my way up to the strip club where we used a product called Zip Strip Original Formulae. It required several coats to bite through the polyurethane based bedliner but we got it done. I ground off the winch mount with the intention of mounting the winch on the down tube where the boat buddy is mounted.

We then drove it down to the powder coaters where they added a 4" bar between the rear most cross member and the bottom of the prop guard to protect the prop on ramps that have a drop off.

They also sandblasted the remaining finish off, removed the wiring and brake parts in preperation for sandblasting.

The trailer was out of service at the powder coaters from Tuesday to the following Friday as they fit it in to their schedule.

The end price was $595 that they discounted to $495.

We ran the wires to hook up the lights and have disk brakes to add before this project is done.

I will add some photos of the work in progress to my profile.

tdaines@hotmail.com
09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Aircraft coating remover will take it all off. I had a poor quality Rhino lining done on my truck, and when I took it back to have it re-done, that's what they used. Spread it on with a brush, wait 15 minutes, and the stuff is bubbling and falling apart. They used a pressure washer to finish the job. You can get it at any autobody supply shop. (Don't try the stuff you can get at your local parts store, it's not the same...)
Be careful where you do it - I'd recommend doing it on a dirt or gravel area, this stuff will leave a huge mess behind.

TIM

TMCNo1
09-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I know that your goal is to get rid of it and all, but if you go to the place that installs/sprays the bedliner, they have a kit that rejuvinates the stuff and makes it shine. My little brother has Line-x and he bought the Line-x version of the restorer and it made his bed look like had just been sprayed. Might be worth a try before trying to get rid of the stuff...
Check with the local spray on bedliner company and see what they recommend, because I would suspect they have to remove it from time to time for various reasons.

JimN
09-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Brake fluid is silicone and while it eats paint, it probably won't touch this stuff. If there are any plans to paint the trailer after removing it, the painter won't be very happy about hearing that brake fluid was all over it, either.

PAINT FREEK
08-06-2008, 11:57 PM
i used something called tal- strip
u can get this at advanced auto
works with the sun on a hot day the hotter it is out side the faster it works
it melted the rhino liner in my bed of my truck
np
in about 15 minutes
and it was about 95 out side when i did it
when u do get this off you need to check out duplicolor they have a bed liner in a can that is nice
doesnt get thick and has a smooth texture to it
will stick to any metal and protect it from rusting
easy to wash
trust me when i say i used them all
spent more than twice what my house is worth doing all this
and these guys have it
so chek it out
and let me know what u think