PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Replacement (Need Help)

SilverStoneFD
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok guys, I got one for you. I worked on my boat all weekend installing a depth finder, ballast system, and wired remote for the stereo. Got it all done and dropped the boat in to test the ballast. Ballast worked great, but after about 30 min of driving, went back to the dock to grab the cooler and the engine wouldnt start. I figured it was because I was playing the stereo while i was working on the boat all weekend. Charged the battery for a while then headed back out. The volt gauge was reading 11 so that brought my attention to it. When I gunned it once it stalled about 10 sec after I put the power on. Just stumblied, but I pulled the throttle back and just idled back to the dock. The engine was racing up and down a little. The volt gauge was reading lower and lower, until at the dock the engine quit when the gauge read 9 then dropped.

This happened the first time I took the boat out, I stopped the engine after pulling someone and couldnt start it again, there wasnt enough juice.

In addition to this, by tach was acting funny last week, going on and off. Then this week it wouldnt work. Then the oil pressure gauge started bugging out.

I think its the alternator. What do you all think?

Now for my questions (Sorry it took so long)

Where can I get a good replacement alternator, maybe one that is a little more powerful since I am running an 800 watt amp?

Next, how the heck do you relieve the tension on the belt on a LTR. I dont have the engine owners manual, but I read in the boat owners manual that it has an automatic belt tensioner.

Where the heck can I get a manual for the LTR online? Or do I need to order one from skidim?

Finally, I have been reading about an alternator bracket recall for the 99 LTR engine. Any info on this?

Thanks guys.

LJ

Tom023
04-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Can't tell you if it's your alternator but I can answer a few questions. To relieve tension, put a socket on a ratchet and push/pull and the tensioner will easily move so you can release the belt. There is a recall that provides an additional bracket because the alternator bolts/housings were breaking, mine did. You can install this bracket yourself in 5-10 minutes. If you upgrade from the current alternator, you will also have to upgrade your alternator wiring harness to handle the increased output. I checked into it and it was a couple of hundred just for the harness. Good luck.

If this works, here's a copy of the recall notice LTR recall (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/11920435813.jpg&s=x402)

Leroy
04-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I would have the dealer change out the bracket and bolts. I re-attached my bracket to keep going in the summer while the dealer ordered the parts, and it was not easy on my V-drive.

Also they can test to see if the alt is good or not or if you have a wiring problem. If everything was fine and you put in all of your toys and first run out there is a problem, sounds like a wiring problem. Did all of the new toys work? Maybe something defective?

How good are you with a VOM and reading amps with it? From your timeline sounds like serious current draw and not just a bad alternator. The alt or rectifiers may be bad now also.

You can get an engine manual (simple one) from Indmar.

Brent
05-01-2006, 09:08 AM

SilverStoneFD
05-01-2006, 09:49 AM
The drain problem occured when I first took the boat out, before installing all of this stuff. The boat has 450 hours and has been in a salt environment, and I assume it is the original alternator, which is why I think that is it.

So how exactly do I relieve the belt tension? Just crank on the bolt on the front of the autto belt tensioner pulley? or is there a bracket somewhere?

Tom023
05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
So how exactly do I relieve the belt tension? Just crank on the bolt on the front of the autto belt tensioner pulley? or is there a bracket somewhere?

That's it, put a socket on the bolt and when you pull the ratchet counterclockwise, the tensioner will move out of the way (as long as you are holding tension against it) and you can slip the belt off.

bigmac
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd be thinking too high an internal drain from a bad battery - high enough that the alternator can't keep up, so the first thing I'd do is load test the battery. I'd be very suspicious if it only read 11 volts after charging with an external charger. If the battery checks out, I'd load test the alternator and check voltage and current output - it should be close to it's rated output at about 2000 RPM with a load of about 1/2 the battery capacity. This all assumes that the first step belt tension and belt condition is OK.

Leroy
05-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes, the nut moves the pulley, I did not find out until after I installed my alt...