PDA

View Full Version : Good ideas for securing motor box hinges?

sfitzgerald351
04-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Just got the boat unwrapped today. I've probably got another couple of years before I tackle the complete refurb of my 84 S&S to get the soggy foam out and remount the swim platform brackets.

In the meantime I keep trying to find a way to get a good system rigged up to support the motor box in the up position. I originally tried gas shocks. They started to bend the back of the box at the hinges from the pressure in the down position pushing straight towards the stern. So I move the hinges over to the side and mounted them in the floor. However the floor isn't thick enough to hold the hinges and they keep pulling out. I now am using hatch supports that have a little knob on the side to stop the support from sliding which works okay and at least has no pressure while down, but the hinges still keep popping out of the floor. I thought about using a toggle bolt (similar to what you use for drywall) but the foam under the floor will prevent them from opening.

Any thoughts on how I can secure the hinges to the floor?

Or should I just put the hinges back on the center panel (that goes between the stringers aft of the motor box) so I can through bolt them. I still have the backer plates from when I took them out. The only issue then is that I have to keep the current hatch supports which require me to completely unbolt them in order to get the motor box out of the boat.

Any other completely different ideas I should consider?

sfitzgerald351
05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I really can't believe that this group doesn't have any other suggestions for what I should try.... Or at least a "I dunno, but how are you?" :)

Footin
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
How bout useing a short 2X4 to prop it open.

I got nutin........but how you doin?

88 PS190
05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Just confused about what all the fuss is about. I open my motor box, it sits open by itself in the open posistion no problems.

So I can't picture how or why you've build supports, and moved the hinges.

east tx skier
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I really can't believe that this group doesn't have any other suggestions for what I should try.... Or at least a "I dunno, but how are you?" :)

First I've seen of this post. I had all sorts of ideas, but they all involved gas shocks and you've tried them all. Mine attach to the floor and to the side of the box. I figure this is a pretty precise setup to balance between a box that's easy to open, easy to keep opened, and easy to close.

That said, got nuthin.

BUMP

Workin' 4 Toys
05-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Why can't you use straps, like the new ones use on the front of the motor box cover (inside), and make it so it is completely removable? But is held down and in place with a hold down strap at each corner?

jimmer2880
05-03-2006, 07:20 AM
I got nuttin either. Gas shocks were what come to my mind first also.

Leroy
05-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Lift off hinge and take the cover off when you open it.
http://www.hardwaresource.com/

Latching mechanism like the folding tables.

You could mount Footins 2x4 to the cover!!

Go to your best local hardware store and ask the old guy there.

sfitzgerald351
05-04-2006, 10:32 PM
If I open up my motor box without any sort of support it goes all the way back to the stern (My boat never had a back seat) and it either gets in the way or necessitates moving lots of gear in the back or if nothing is in the way it wears holes in the upolhestery of the motor box cover where it rests on the fiberglass.

I did think of straps, but was worried about having them flopping around the motor while underway. Can someone post a picture of what the new boxes do with the straps?

Thanks gang!

Weather looks nice for Saturday so hopefully we'll get the boat out on the lake!!!!!

Ric
05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
fitz, welcome back! how are things???