PDA

View Full Version : Force gas prices lower?

skitilldark
04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Just got one of those massive viral e-mails going around that is suggesting everyone stop buying fuel from the number one and number two fuel companies(Mobil and Exxon). The theory is, I guess, is that if everyone hurts these two companies they will be forced to lower their prices(according to the email, based on worldwide supply and demand the price for unleaded regular should be around 1.40 per gallon instead of 3.00). Once the main two lower their prices, all the others will have to fall in line. Anyway, I'm not loving the idea of paying 120.00 per fillup this summer. Maybe there's something to this.

88 PS190
04-30-2006, 06:26 PM
It will never work.

Figure out how many people country wide will still be buying gas.

Compounded w/ how many people will still be driving, and will need to fill, combined w/ how few people will forward that email to anyone.

Also airlines will be using, buses and taxis will be using, trucks will be using.

I doubt that you could ever force the fuel companies into lowering their prices unless you were willing to take months off of fuel usage.

TMCNo1
04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
As the e-mail stated, if everyone would boycott 1[one] oil company for several days, weeks or months, not all of them, then the boycotted company would be forced to lower their prices to draw customers and then all the remaining companies would follow suit to compete with the boycotted companies lower prices. Exxon/Mobil would be the logical choice, since they are the largest company and are making the most excessive profits. :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
How about Chevron? Are they owned by either of the big two?

skitilldark
04-30-2006, 10:42 PM

Not that I know of. But I'm no expert on who owns what. the only thing I would hate in that scenario is hurting the indivdual owners of those gas stations(who carry mobil and exxon). But that would only be for a short time until the big companies had to lower their wholesale prices to the operators. I do think if enough people would do it, it COULD work. Anyway, its just hard for me to believe there isn't a huge windfall going on based on the hundreds of millions in bonuses these companies are paying to their top managment.

bigmac
04-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Just got one of those massive viral e-mails going around that is suggesting everyone stop buying fuel from the number one and number two fuel companies(Mobil and Exxon). The theory is, I guess, is that if everyone hurts these two companies they will be forced to lower their prices(according to the email, based on worldwide supply and demand the price for unleaded regular should be around 1.40 per gallon instead of 3.00). Once the main two lower their prices, all the others will have to fall in line. Anyway, I'm not loving the idea of paying 120.00 per fillup this summer. Maybe there's something to this.

That email has been circulating since 1999 and comes up every 2-3 years when Americans are slapped in the face with the results of their consumption habits.

The gas boycott proposed in that knee-jerk email won't work. Look at
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
for a reasonable explanation of why...

PendO
05-01-2006, 12:31 AM
I love expensive gas ... fewer people on the water = more glass = less time driving around to find glass ...

PendO
05-01-2006, 12:34 AM
most of you likely know this ... but Exxon was originally called ESSO (it is called that in Canada) but when the split of S.O. (standard oil) occurred, one of the parts wanted to be called ESSO ... as a slap in the face to having to break it up in the first place, the US said no way to the ESSO name (hence Exxon was born)... i have persoannly been boycotting this weekend, but now my tank is 1/8 full so I will see if I can hold out untill tomorrow.

ajgressette
05-01-2006, 05:26 AM
I hope the gas companies all starve to death!! :toast: :D

bret
05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
oil is a commodity, check the price on the web, and then see how much $$ in taxes YOUR own politicians are getting, plus the big government.

Being a person who works in the offshore industry and having a family who owns lot of C stores, the profit per gallon it SMALL. However, if you do a volume of business, it adds up.

But... dealer AB down the street is selling MC boats at two times the sticker(and getting it) cause they're hard to get and the boating public is demanding MC. You, dealer CD, are a couple hundred miles away, are going to keep your prices low, even though it's not your fault people are paying double, because you're a nice guy and want to help the boating public out...yeah right.

If you don't like the profit margin, going against good ole capitalism, buy a bike to pull your boat and stock in NIKE for all the shoes you're going to buy you and your family.

djhuff
05-01-2006, 08:53 AM
PendO, I thought Esso became Exxon because of the deragatory meaning of the word Esso in another country where they were trying to move into.

Leroy
05-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Start walking, take mass transit, riding a bike and get a canoe.....we cannot do it! Actually adjusted for inflation gas is still a bargain, even if it doesn't feel like it. $180 for a fill up for me off the lake.

JEREMY79
05-01-2006, 09:39 AM
As you know I am in the oil business. Prices dont bother me at all. THat is what is putting food on my table.

But I will say this. Gas is too high when you sell your 12mpg monster SUV and your MC boat that uses 20gal per trip to the lake.

As long as people are buying it and still have gas thirsty toys why would they want to lower it.

#47of100TeamMC
05-01-2006, 10:39 AM
As far as "damn the oil companies" goes. what about the government? Did you know that the oil companies make $.068 on every gallon of gas they sell. yes that's right ALMOST 7 CENTS per gallon of gas sold goes to the gas company itself this is the company who digs the oil, refines it, ships it to the gas stations... they are making 7 cents per gallon for ALL the work. Now I hope your sitting down, cuz the Governemtn makes... are you ready for this? $.68 per gallon of gas sold. YES THAT'S 68 CENTS PER GALLON goes to the government. FOR WHAT they don't do a damn thing all they do is fix a road once and a while, and who knows where the rest of that money goes! Why doens't Bush investigate the government on price gouging, the oil companies price gouging? give me a break. But, it's an election year, so nothing will get done except a lot of talk and no action.

I don't really care though, cuz I drive a saturn wagon to work that gets 37mpg. The Truck is only used for trailering the boat on evenings and weekends. It's the price of the hobby. I'll pay it regardless, and I'm willing to bet so will most of you!

PendO
05-02-2006, 04:28 PM
PendO, I thought Esso became Exxon because of the deragatory meaning of the word Esso in another country where they were trying to move into.

not according to the economics prof. I had in undergrad ...

PendO
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
YES THAT'S 68 CENTS PER GALLON goes to the government. FOR WHAT they don't do a damn thing all they do is fix a road once and a while, and who knows where the rest of that money goes!

Infrastructure is not free

jeverett
05-02-2006, 08:16 PM

Chevron and Texaco are one and they are #2 for profits. My dad works for them in Houston.

Footin
05-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Chevron and Texaco are one and they are #2 for profits. My dad works for them in Houston.

I hope he is getting a good bonus this year.

jeverett
05-02-2006, 08:35 PM
I hope he is getting a good bonus this year.

Me too, he took it in the shorts when the NASDAQ fell and the dot coms busted :(

His official job is refinery cost development engineer. The main thing compounding the problem here in the U.S. is that we haven't built a refinery in thirty years!! I just herd on the radio that Diesle which is my main source of fule is going up another $.25/gal :mad: It is actually cheaper to buy biodeisle than regular deisle now so I'm switchn' I may convert the PS 190 to LPG too if we don't see any repreve from these prices.