PDA

View Full Version : Dang Engineers!!

6ballsisall
04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I put 8.5 hours on my boat this weekend all at speeds never above idle!! Actually it was fun to get out on the water but what a fiasco! We held a Concrete Canoe race on our lake this weekend for 16 colleges in the Ohio Valley. Friday afternoon we set up 30 buoys for them to race around, including racing lanes and a slalom course (not like we use). Water depth ranged from 40 feet to 110 feet. We were supplied cinder blocks and used ski course bouys for markers. It was actually pretty comical. The guy in charge had walkie talkies for us all (5 boats setting up) and he was on shore with SURVEYING EQUIPMENT!!! :rolleyes: It was the classic case of book smarts but not street smarts. The diagram we were all given was exact (I.e. 49.5 feet between this buoy to this buoy, 29 degree angle at this buoy etc....) but the engineers forgot to calculate in to the equation that unless you have a boat with GPS navigation and bow thrusters, side thrusters etc... you flat out can't hold a boat in an exact area especially when you had 15 mph winds like we had to work with. :rolleyes:

While annoying, it was actually quite comical after a few beers. The positive side is that I got REALLY good at slow speed manuvering of my boat, I can parallel park it now in 15 mph winds :headbang:

Footin
04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
8.5 hours????? thas along time to be idleing around.

I hope you had the new bimini on.

6ballsisall
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Bimini was on. cooler was stocked. I actually wasn't really excited about idling that long as that can't be great for the boat. A couple times I took it up to 1100 rpms and before loading it back on the trailer each night I put it in neutral and let it rev to about 2k for a minute or so. They had the no wake lights on our lake both day so I couldn't open it up. :rolleyes:

Footin
04-30-2006, 11:00 AM
You couldn't drop anchor and sit there with the motor off?

6ballsisall
04-30-2006, 11:03 AM
You couldn't drop anchor and sit there with the motor off?

Friday we spent 4 hours setting the bouys. (yes it took that many boats 4 hours to drop 30 buoys!! Can you set complete and under disorganization! :uglyhamme ) Saturday we were on the water by 6:45 am on perfect glass trying to get them to their exact location. I left after about 5 hours of that crap. All boats were running almost the whole time. Each buoy took about 20-45 minutes to re adjust. Even then they still weren't as accurate as they wanted :rolleyes:

Footin
04-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Such perfection for concrete boats......kinda funny.

MYMC
05-01-2006, 09:02 AM
The real question...Have you bought calipers yet? ;)

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
The real question...Have you bought calipers yet? ;)

Yep! This weekend I did! Going out tonight.......but doing some measuring and calibrating before hand ;)

MYMC
05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Have fun! :D

6ballsisall
05-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Have fun! :D
Most definetely!! :banana: :headbang:

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
to "Dang Civil Engineers" until you have an issue with the other disciplines? Thanks!

Just kidding. I know the type. Hell, I am the type!