PDA

View Full Version : Oh Nooooooooooooo. Mildew everywhere

BeavenX5
04-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I just remove the cover from my boat this afternoon after a rought winter and guess what.... My interior is full of mold and mildew. I mean full, seats, steering weel, switches, all.

We spend a hole day in the fall cleaning the interior of the boat including shampooing the carpet. I beleive letting dry for a week inside the barn without the cover was not enough. I have been taking care of a boat for over 10 years now and this is the fist time it happens. Darn.. :mad:

It will take me the hole day tomorrow just to clean that mess. I read here that the best cleaner for this is fantastic. What about the seams? they are realy black.

Any advice on cleaning this easily? or am I dreaming.

Here are a few picture I will share with you. It might help my frustration.
Whish me luck tomorrow. :(

BeavenX5
04-29-2006, 11:59 PM
side panel :mad:

east tx skier
04-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Bummer! Don't forget Magic Eraser and 303 to follow up.

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Steering wheel :mad:

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Discusting view :mad:

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 12:02 AM
And a nice one to stay positive. First time without the tower on. Wow I like it :)

Leroy
04-30-2006, 07:49 AM
That was a real mold orgy going on. I'm sure it will be completely clean by the time you are done with it.

If it was a barn with hay and other organic stuff then leaving the cover off may have allowed spores to settle in. You can never be too careful.

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 08:31 AM
If it was a barn with hay and other organic stuff then leaving the cover off may have allowed spores to settle in. You can never be too careful.
one year kept our '85 in the barn and the cover was so caked with dirt, totally wasn't worth it so next year bought a Cover-It structure to store it in...Hay is totally full of dust and mold spores and doesn't take much...

did you apply 303 last year before putting it away, just curious if 303 prevents mold?!? :eek:

bigmac
04-30-2006, 09:05 AM
IMHO, airflow is the key to mold prevention in an enclosed space, like under a boat cover where there' temp changes causing condensation.

I left a Turbo Dryer (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=turbo+dryer&Ntt=turbo+dryer&N=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch) plugged in and running all winter under my plain ol'd MasterCraft cockpit cover and bow cover. Electrical draw is about the same as a 100 watt light bulb. It heats and blows air. I keep my boat in a metal pole building - no other air sources and I didn't have a speck of mold.

http://images.westmarine.com/full/7867518.jpg

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 09:05 AM
It is not realy a barn. It is a 25' X 18' garage with concrete floor, barn exterior finish and barn doors. No hay in there and pretty dry. The problem came probably from shapooing the carpets last fall, then putting it in the carage without cover and covering it the following week. The carpet was probably not fully dry then.

My garage (with a barn look) is very dusty. I put a plastic tarp over the MC cover (only on top, not wraped around) to save the cover. I have been storing the Peterborough for 9 years in there without any problem. It is either the carpet shampoo or the MC cover that is too air tight. I will install some aerators this year.

I could not find 303 protector here in Montreal. I used plenty of 3M Marine exterior vinyl cleanor, protector and conditionor. My brother will bring me the 303 samples he ordered for me next time he come up to visit. I will then do my own import of 303 products.

Here is the garage I store the MC in for winter.

ksmaristar91
04-30-2006, 09:15 AM
That is no fun i had the same problem! I found that soft scrub seems to work very well with a soft bristle brush. Good luck.

JohnnyB
04-30-2006, 09:23 AM
KSMARISTAR91...thanks....I was hoping the voice of experience would chime in to help this guy with where to start tackling this project....who makes softscrub and what is it?

I felt awful looking at the pics...beavenx5, good luck....let us know what was the best remover, especially for the seams.

Also, when I've gotten the inside of my boat really soaked (happens often), I put a 40pt household dehumidifier under the cover to dry eveything out...takes about an overnight run to dry everything out

bigmac
04-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Consider looking at this thread:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8203

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 09:31 AM
I looked at this other thread last night. This is why I plan on using fantastic first and a little of arm juice and a brush. I will attact this awfull task :mad: this afternoon and report back later.

Thanks for the support
JC

Workin' 4 Toys
04-30-2006, 09:58 AM
The problem came probably from shapooing the carpets last fall, then putting it in the carage without cover and covering it the following week. The carpet was probably not fully dry then..
I'd bet $ that was the exact problem.

Tom023
04-30-2006, 10:04 AM
IF the Fantastic doesn't do it, try Babe's Seat Soap if you can find it, or order some from their website. The stuff is amazing and gets out dirt Fantastic leaves behind. I, well my wife, did the whole interior and it looks brand new, except for the pink spots.

JohnnyB
04-30-2006, 10:15 AM
:love: :love: :love:

Your wife cleaned the boat interior.......

Ought to be more women like her!!!!

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I could not find 303 protector here in Montreal. I used plenty of 3M Marine exterior vinyl cleanor, protector and conditionor. My brother will bring me the 303 samples he ordered for me next time he come up to visit. I will then do my own import of 303 products.
you can order the 303 direct from their website...in the sample kit is some 303 cleaner, the stuff worked great on removing the black marks left by #$%&y 2005 MC trailering cover on the rear vinyl seats...also took off some marks my dealer made winterizing this past year that wouldn't come up with fantastic...
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=431&CFID=2170433&CFTOKEN=75785152

Bert
04-30-2006, 02:09 PM
IF the Fantastic doesn't do it, try Babe's Seat Soap if you can find it, or order some from their website. The stuff is amazing and gets out dirt Fantastic leaves behind. I, well my wife, did the whole interior and it looks brand new, except for the pink spots.
I tried to order some from their website and they don't ship to Canada.

Bert
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM
That was a real mold orgy going on. I'm sure it will be completely clean by the time you are done with it.

Will that clean up like new ? I have never seen any thing like that. It is very dry out here and mold isn't a problem.

ksmaristar91
04-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Johnny B, soft scrub is a cleaner it comes in white bottle and has a lotion type of consistince (sp). I found a bucket of water and a sponge, and soft brush seems to work well got mine back to normal.

bigmac
04-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Whatever you use, I'd be careful about the selection. Upholstery care products are (usually) designed so that they won't damage the stitching. SoftScrub works well for mold on some surfaces, but I'd be worried about what it might do the the stitching on the seat seams, especially if it, or any of the other intensive cleaning products you're contemplating, contained bleach.

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
All done. Came out like if nothing happened. It took my wife and I a little less than 3 hours to clean the mess. We used a mild household cleaner (Hertel). It came out with a little scrubbing. We were probably saved by the generous amount of 3M protector applied in the fall, in some places we could still feel the creamy residue.
I am so releived.

Next year you can be sure we will install some aerator on the MC cover.

This proves the importance of using plenty of protector during the ski season and before winterizing. I will have to apply more of it in the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for your support.
JC

Bert
04-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Cool, I was worried for you when I saw the pictures. I have never had to deal with mildew and that sure looked like the upholstery was ruined. I am sure you feel better now. Now sit back and enjoy the Habs game.

ajgressette
05-01-2006, 04:24 AM
From all that I have read most of you guys use this 303 product. Is it all you say it is? For mold I have used Softscrub and it did a great job. And went back over it with some 3M vinyl cleaner. My vinyl is white.

ksmaristar91
05-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Soft scrub, can be bought with or without bleach. I used the without just to be safe and no ill effects on my interior.

C36
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM

We bought a 2001 X-5 last month and I went looking for 303 as part of our boat maintenance supplies (may thanks to all those that have posted SO much useful information on this site!) and found it here in BC at Canadian Tire of all places. You might want to take a look at one of your larger local CT stores. Distribution in Canada may have just started recently. Glad the boat came clean and hope you never have another "spring cleaning" like that again. :)

BeavenX5
05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
C36, I will defenately look again for 303 it in one of our new huge Canadian Tire store. It looks like you have a 2001 open bow X5.

Someow I thought 2001 and 2002 X5 were closed bow and the all new then X7 was open bow. :confused:
Anyone here can update me on this.

Thanks.
JC

bbeach
05-23-2006, 01:33 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!! post some pics when you get it cleaned!

C36
05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
C36, I will defenately look again for 303 it in one of our new huge Canadian Tire store. It looks like you have a 2001 open bow X5.

Someow I thought 2001 and 2002 X5 were closed bow and the all new then X7 was open bow. :confused:
Anyone here can update me on this.

Thanks.
JC

I am far from an expert and will gladly defer to others - but here is what I have pulled together. To my understanding the same hull was sold under the following different labels in the years shown:

ProStar 190 (closed bow) 1995-1997
SportStar (closed bow) 1998
Skier 19 (closed bow) 2000-2002
X-5 (closed bow) 2002

SportStar (open bow) 1999
ProStar 195 (open bow) 2000-2002
X-5 (open bow) 2000-2001

Here are two link that might be of interest:

Waterski Mag 2001 X-5 review
http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=13626&typeID=121&categoryID=113

Waterski Mag 2002 X-5 review
http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=3005&typeID=121&categoryID=366