PDA

View Full Version : Need help ID'ing some parts!

Kell
04-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Well I was getting things ready to summerize today and I came across some parts located on the engine that I think I know what they are and their function but I'm not absolutely sure.

Part 1= Engine temp sensor
Part 2 = Air idle control sensor (AIC), not sure exactly what its function is.
Part 3 = ?
Part 4 = Coolant temp sensor
Part 5 = ?

Anyone have any idea. These parts are on a 99 Maristar 210 VRS, LTR 330 hp, EFI/MPI. Thanks.

east tx skier
04-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I sincerely doubt my boat even has any of these parts.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-30-2006, 02:06 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here, and say #3 is throttle position sensor, and #5 is oil pressure

JimN
04-30-2006, 03:24 AM
#1 is the coolant temperature sensor (ECT) that sends info to the ECM-will ONLY send info to the ECM
#2 is the Throttle Position sensor (TPS)-sends acceleration/deceleration info to the ECM
#3 is the Idle Air Control= electronic version of the choke and opens or closes, depending on demand
#4 is the coolant temp sensor for the temperature gauge-will NEVER send info to the ECM
#5 is the oil pressure sender

If it runs OK, there's absolutely no reason to change these parts.

TMCNo1
04-30-2006, 07:29 AM
All I can say is, JimN knows his ship!

Kell
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
#1 is the coolant temperature sensor (ECT) that sends info to the ECM-will ONLY send info to the ECM
#2 is the Throttle Position sensor (TPS)-sends acceleration/deceleration info to the ECM
#3 is the Idle Air Control= electronic version of the choke and opens or closes, depending on demand
#4 is the coolant temp sensor for the temperature gauge-will NEVER send info to the ECM
#5 is the oil pressure sender

If it runs OK, there's absolutely no reason to change these parts.

Ok, so I'm zero for five on id'ing these parts......:( . No #4 was my closest guess as far as a description but didn't know that it didn't send any info to the ECM. Thanks JimN.

Not replacing any of the part, but I remember last year when you help me trouble shoot my cold start issue (which turned out to be resolved by updating the calabration on the ECM that was two generations behind) that one item you thought it might be was the ECT (part no. 1). Was just curious where it was. Thanks all for your help.

JimN
04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
"I know the difference between ship and Shinola."

Forgot to mention- the TPS also tells the ECM actual throttle position so it knows WOT (to clear flood), < or = 2% TP indicates idle and 20% (or more) positive delta indicates acceleration (so the ECM enriches) and 20% (or more) negative delta indicates deceleration and the ECM will lean it out (or stop fuel delivery, if needed).

KEll- you aren't 0/5- you got both of the coolant sensors.

f16driver
07-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey all,
Since were on the subject of engine sensors, I thought I might throw the LQ-9 at you all and solicit your help with a few sensors.

f16driver
07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
#1 No Idea, its not attached/connected to anything on my LQ-9 but I'm just curious.
#2 Idle Air control valve (IAC)
#3 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
#4 Engine Coolant Temp (ECT)
#5 Not Sure but maybe Manifold Pressure??? (MAP)

JimN
07-25-2009, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=f16driver;617747]#1 No Idea, its not attached/connected to anything on my LQ-9 but I'm just curious.
#2 Idle Air control valve (IAC)
#4 Engine Coolant Temp (ECT)
#5 Not Sure but maybe Manifold Pressure??? (MAP)[QUOTE]

#5 is the MAP sensor.

There's too much missing from #1 to tell- can you post a more complete photo, with the wires exposed?

f16driver
07-25-2009, 11:46 AM
JimN,
Heres a different angle from above. I pulled a small red rubber plug off the top to expose the pins inside. My boat doesnt have any wires running to this item. I guess thats why the plug was there.

F16Driver

JimN
07-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I got nuthin'. It's a lot larger than an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor.

f16driver
07-25-2009, 12:33 PM
JImN,
Where is the other coolant temp sensor located. In a previous post you stated that one sensor goes to the ECM and the other to the gauge on the dash? Is it this one located at the back just infront of the ECM?

Jason99T/A
07-25-2009, 12:37 PM
That is the EVAP soleniod, part of the emissions system on passenger cars/trucks. Not used on the boat. The EVAP system is designed to store and dispose of fuel vapors preventing them from venting to the atmosphere.

Jason99T/A
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
That second picture is the cam position sensor.

JimN
07-25-2009, 12:49 PM
JImN,
Where is the other coolant temp sensor located. In a previous post you stated that one sensor goes to the ECM and the other to the gauge on the dash? Is it this one located at the back just infront of the ECM?

This one is where the distributor would be and as posted, is the cam sensor. The ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor is the part connected to the harness (yellow/black wires) you're holding in the first photo.

f16driver
07-25-2009, 01:04 PM
JimN & Jason99T/A
Thanks! I would never have figured out the evap valve on top. I realize the ECT is the one in my hand but isnt there a second sensor that connects to the gauge on the dash or do I just have one sensor that feeds the ECM and the dash gauge from the one sensor?

JimN
07-25-2009, 01:14 PM
JimN & Jason99T/A
Thanks! I would never have figured out the evap valve on top. I realize the ECT is the one in my hand but isnt there a second sensor that connects to the gauge on the dash or do I just have one sensor that feeds the ECM and the dash gauge from the one sensor?

Possibly. If you look around, you may see a sensor with a tan wire/black tracer but since the MDC box became standard, it may have been changed.

f16driver
07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Summary,
#1 Evap solenoid (not used)
#2 Idle Air Control (IAC)
#4 Engine coolant temp sensor (ECT)
#5 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)

Cam position sensor in last picture

rem_pss308
09-06-2009, 11:18 AM
How about the crank position sensor on the LTR motor like in the first pictures. where would I find that?

tex
09-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Flux capacitor!