PDA

View Full Version : Price for Slalom Set

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 12:35 AM
sure we've all wondered, how much do we charge our buddies for a slalom pull...some only take 4 passes, others take 6, some fall like every pass...with 89 gas prices at $2.89+ can be expensive...

figure on average 3 guys, taking 2 sets each, on average 6 passes at 36mph burns 5gallons in the classic '85...not sure the new '05 197 is that efficient, haven't skied it enough to tell yet...

so what is a fair exchange,
$10/set
5gal/set
boat chores

SKI*MC
04-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Absolutly. I pay... i think its 15 for 2 sets, which is about 6 passes through the slolom course, or about 7 or 8 passes on the wakeboard, and i help clean the boat afterwards. Its totally fair.

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Absolutly. I pay... i think its 15 for 2 sets, which is about 6 passes through the slolom course, or about 7 or 8 passes on the wakeboard, and i help clean the boat afterwards. Its totally fair.
a lot of clubs charge you at least $20 for one set of six passes!!!

east tx skier
04-30-2006, 12:48 AM
I can't remember if I was reading this on Nicholl's, skifly or where, but I think a set with no falls will burn about 2.5 gallons. I really prefer to trade pulls and let things even out that way. I'd probably offer someone $20 for two sets (maybe more, it's late and I'm spitballing). That ought to more than cover the gas. Of course, there's more to owning a boat than gas.

BeavenX5
04-30-2006, 01:08 AM
You are not taking advantage of anyone in this situation. If the guy is not running a business or trying to pay for his boat and is going out on the water anyway, paying for the gaz, being of good company, drive him on the course and help whipe the boat after in great. This is what skiing is all about. :headbang:

east tx skier
04-30-2006, 01:11 AM
I think when it's a regular thing with everyone using one guy's boat, some sort of arrangement might be in order. But for the occassional get together, an offer for gas money and some help wiping down is a fine gesture.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-30-2006, 03:09 AM
A 10 spot should cover.

TMCNo1
04-30-2006, 08:39 AM
All joking aside, it all depends on who it is, if it's a stranger or someone outside the group you ski and share sets with over the season, charge as you will, but if it's your group of skiers it will usually average itself out over the season. I don't always get the chance to be a true regular and don't ski the course, so I enjoy pulling a few sets, just to keep my driving skills sharp and I benefit as much as the skier does, so it's a wash out. I'm using to skier as much as the skier is using my boat!

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 09:26 AM
in the past usually trade-offs went just fine, ski bum at different ponds in the area...now becoming a ski snob after skiing behind the '05 197 and private pond setup with Accusink...so not as anxious to want to go to another site, nor is it a fair trade-off...

literally this year planning to get out 7days a week, usually have the wife who is game (skis when it is warmer) so only ever need one other person in the boat...but fun havin' another skier at or above same level to push me to keep shortin' that line length...gonna just have to setup a SCHEDULE for times to go and who to go with!!!

interesting 2.5gal per ski set, have to play with that #...

already have 10hrs on the boat and it is only April in New Hamsphire (started with 7hrs from last year), LOVIN' THIS WARM SPRING!!!

remember the old stickah "this boat rides on GAS not THANKS"??? :friday:

daveg
04-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I ski at a local ski club in the Chicago area, and I pay approx. $19 per set (six-eight passes). This is up from $15 per set over the past few years. Of course, gas is the key reason the cost has gone up. I also have to pay membership dues each year as well. That runs about $1200, but, that includes a late model ski boat (other brand), private lake, slalom course, and driver...all about a 15 minute drive from the house. I have already skiied four sets so far this year. So, for me this works very well in terms of just packing the ski up and going, and being home within an hour. The one thing I do miss is owning a boat (pride of ownership, and the ability to go out whenever/wherever you want., etc). But, all in all, its not a bad deal.

And if/when I do get another boat, I really want a classic Stars & Stripes!! Those boats are gorgeous!!

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 02:49 PM
I ski at a local ski club in the Chicago area, and I pay approx. $19 per set (six-eight passes). This is up from $15 per set over the past few years. Of course, gas is the key reason the cost has gone up. I also have to pay membership dues each year as well. That runs about $1200
sounds like a great setup, only 15min from the house

And if/when I do get another boat, I really want a classic Stars & Stripes!! Those boats are gorgeous!!
i might know of someone selling their '85 S&S that's in great shape!!!but quite a haul from Chicago to New Hampshire...but wait, my parents are in Ohio could meet you half-way!!! :steering:

east tx skier
04-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Here's where I got 2.5 gallons per set.

http://eclipse.nicholls.edu/cgi-bin/BBS/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=16189

daveg
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
BuoyChaser;

Yes, you do get a little spoiled having a private ski site so close to home. It takes all the hassle out of skiing like trailering, filling up with gas, launching, retrieving, etc. The year before last, I got 55 sets in.

By the way, I have seen your boat on this site before. VERY sharp!! My favorite year S&S too.

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 10:43 PM
BuoyChaser;

Yes, you do get a little spoiled having a private ski site so close to home. It takes all the hassle out of skiing like trailering, filling up with gas, launching, retrieving, etc. The year before last, I got 55 sets in.

By the way, I have seen your boat on this site before. VERY sharp!! My favorite year S&S too.
got a great setup, but the wife said the old '85 has to go now that we have the '05...just needed to take that next step to get deaper in the rope...

erkoehler
04-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Usually, we don't go by "sets" since we foot and hop in and out of the boat all the time with the runs varying in length.

This summer, I was planning on having each guy just bring gas.

hacker
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I put $20 a set, cuz that's what I pay (mostly) for pulls on a private lake. The ski club I belong to is $350 per year and $20 a set. They have a 88 MC, no cruise and the pond is too small to ski on (we can set up and get 6 balls one way but only 4 going back). BUT, it's the closest(45 min weekdays/10 min weekends) place that I have access to a course. I ski other places too, for anywhere from $5-$25 per, but they are much further for me to drive to.(1.5+ hrs)

When my buddies and I are open water skiing we just trade rides. There is one guy that goes that doesn't have a boat. I never would ask him for money, because quite often if he wasn't there I wouldn't be able to ski. He has been known to chip in for a tank or two over the summer though.

BuoyChaser
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
They have a 88 MC, no cruise and the pond is too small to ski on (we can set up and get 6 balls one way but only 4 going back).
sounds like a wicked tight setup, that Powerslot wouldn't even help you out, hghh???