PDA

View Full Version : jl audio grills

martymart
04-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey people i need to replace the stock speaker grills on a 2006 x45 but the girl will not pay for mastercraft by design grills.
I'm looking for something that looks cool and fits on the jl speakers.
Any help would be great!

bcampbe7
04-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey people i need to replace the stock speaker grills on a 2006 x45 but the girl will not pay for mastercraft by design grills.
I'm looking for something that looks cool and fits on the jl speakers.
Any help would be great!

Find a different girl! :D

A 2006 X45 deserves no less than MC by Design.
Call Mike at MC of Charlotte. He will get you hooked-up! :cool:

PapaJoe
04-29-2006, 01:23 AM
I know what you mean... Mine did the same thing.... Stock speaker grill (aka protection covers) for the speakers... I used a glue for a while... Thought about just replacing all the damm speakers... JL are OK... But, I think I can find better.... Price does not always = quality....

Thoughts from the peanut gallery??????????????????????????????????

JOE

PapaJoe
04-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Also, find a different girl----

You will thank me later...

HA HA HA

JOE

MYMC
04-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Thought about just replacing all the damm speakers... JL are OK... But, I think I can find better
I'd be willing to take that bet. Years of time and research went into designing these speakers. If they dont sound they way you think they should take a look at the installation, amp settings (if so equipped) and the head unit (junk). The learning curve for MasterCraft has been steep...they are boat builders not stereo installers and as such the installation procedure has changed since the introduction.

For those that need the stock grills we have tons of them from swapping them out.

projectely4
04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
personnaly i think the stock JL marine system with the amp and sub is the best marine specific audio setup. it is very clear loud and provides good bass.

sand2snow22
04-29-2006, 05:26 PM
personnaly i think the stock JL marine system with the amp and sub is the best marine specific audio setup. it is very clear loud and provides good bass.

The JL system rocks. Another reason Mastercraft is held to a higher standard. I've been on and around the competitors and my stock JL system sounds better than their stock or even their expensive aftermarket system.

I have two tower speakers with the billet MC by design. Turns out I actually like the look of the white grills on mine better, darn it. Oh, well. However, on an X45 with 4 speakers the billet MC by design would look pretty sweet. I saw an X15 with this set up and it looked nice. What's up with spending the cash on a X45, but not on speaker grills? No money left over? Or keep the white grills and use the money to put gas in that beast!!!

BuoyChaser
04-30-2006, 10:02 PM
i'm just waiting for my plastic grills to break from a ski on the '05 197...gotta be some way to protect them, or more durable grill replacement...

skitilldark
04-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I think those speakers are junk as well. Especially if you throw any real power behind them. Although being practical, I would blow them first before just replacing them. I would talk to a stero shop. A good one will have ideas on alternates.

MYMC
05-01-2006, 09:55 AM
I think those speakers are junk as well.
Here we go again...blanket statements...boy this gets old.

Everyone hears things differently that why any good stereo store will have you audition equipment. All will recommend that you bring a "demo" disk of your music that you are familiar with so as to eliminate variables. You can and will listen to many speakers, amps, pre-amps, CD players and even cables in an attempt to come up with a "system" that sounds best to you. However, just because speaker “A” didn't sound as good to you as speaker “B” doesn’t mean they are JUNK. It just means to you they sounded better and to the next guy they may not...sound and stereo is subjective. That being said MasterCraft has contracted with one of the recognized industry leaders in mobile audio, in an attempt to break the pattern of cheap car stereo being installed in boats. Over 2 years of R&D went into the design of the speaker alone...ever wonder why they are the size they are? If you don't like the way they sound then that is your prerogative, but to make a blanket statement and call them "junk" is short sighted and uninformed.
Further your statement about any amount of “real” power being thrown at them only serves to further demonstrate your lack of a true understanding of the product.

skitilldark
05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Here we go again...blanket statements...boy this gets old.

Everyone hears things differently that why any good stereo store will have you audition equipment. All will recommend that you bring a "demo" disk of your music that you are familiar with so as to eliminate variables. You can and will listen to many speakers, amps, pre-amps, CD players and even cables in an attempt to come up with a "system" that sounds best to you. However, just because speaker “A” didn't sound as good to you as speaker “B” doesn’t mean they are JUNK. It just means to you they sounded better and to the next guy they may not...sound and stereo is subjective. That being said MasterCraft has contracted with one of the recognized industry leaders in mobile audio, in an attempt to break the pattern of cheap car stereo being installed in boats. Over 2 years of R&D went into the design of the speaker alone...ever wonder why they are the size they are? If you don't like the way they sound then that is your prerogative, but to make a blanket statement and call them "junk" is short sighted and uninformed.
Further your statement about any amount of “real” power being thrown at them only serves to further demonstrate your lack of a true understanding of the product.

I totally agree. Sorry for the blanket statement, but I had those and when I tried to pump any serious power into them, the encasement(grills and/or frame) for them buzzed something awful. Replacing them with a different set fixed that immediately. Personally my ears can't tell the difference between most speakers, but even MY ears can pick out a cheap buzz caused by inferior build quality.

michael freeman
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Actually when I went trolling for speaker info in a local audio shop that works with boats. (EarMark). They suggested that the stock speakers were one of the best choices and that I should stick with the them.

When a shop that doesn't even do business with the MC dealer tells me I'm better off sticking with the stock JLs, then I tend to believe the speakers are probably decent.

Of course he did suggest a few other mods and/or changes. :)

kalanic
05-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Heres a pretty good link. Pretty nice lookin billet grills!

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=rcdmain

MYMC
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Personally my ears can't tell the difference between most speakers, but even MY ears can pick out a cheap buzz caused by inferior build quality
Shouldn't have happened...should/could have been a warranty issue. Sorry to hear that you had to handle this without warranty assistance, I'm sure JL would have wanted to know if there was an issue.

badams
05-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Personally my ears can't tell the difference between most speakers, but even MY ears can pick out a cheap buzz caused by inferior build quality.

My X45 had all the speakers available and a 1600 watt JL Amp. I had several problems with them at first. Buzzing and cutting out. It turned out to be an installation problem. When I finally demanded that the dealer have a stereo installation company take a look at the system everything they fixed all the problems and it was louder and sounded better than ever. I think someone else on this thread made the comment that MC is a boat builder, not a stereo installer. The system that comes with the boat is great, it just has to be put in correctly.

PapaJoe
05-02-2006, 01:29 AM
OK---

ALL my awesome JL speaker grills have fallen off!!! Yea, awesome quality... The question is, where can we find replacement GRILLS, instead of a tube of silicon??? My speakers still sound good, untill a foot goes into them... As a MC owner, I sould not have to worry about this on a 3 year old boat.... JL speakers are great, the grill covers suck.............................................. .................................................. ......................................

And I am not the only person who feels this way......................

JOE

BigBarney
05-02-2006, 06:59 AM
MYMC,

Got any speaker covers to fit the Clarion tower speakers on an '03 X-30?

MYMC
05-02-2006, 09:21 AM
ALL my awesome JL speaker grills have fallen off!!! Yea, awesome quality...
Really...are you sure? I doubt the JL grills have "fallen off" since they are held on with 6 screws (tweeter and mid-driver) as evidenced in the photo. Further those screws also hold the speaker to the boat and/or tower. Maybe you meant CLARION since your boat is a 2003 and that was stock back then? The Clarion grills have a raised lock on them...rotate to the proper position and snap back into place.

All this anger toward a manufactuer that has raised the bar of marine audio is getting old...particularly when misdirected. I give up!

kalanic
05-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Just go with Billet & use some Silicon when you replace your plastic grills.