PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Learning to wakeboard...starting, etc...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-28-2006, 06:24 PM
OK, I bought a used wakeboard. I am ready to start learning to ride it. What do I need to know? how do you start on them? whats the do's and don'ts for beginners? What are the techniques for getting out of the water on them? manuevering? I have never wakeboarded before, I have only slalom skied. I have open ears here people. Let me know what you think. I appreciate all input. Thanks!!! :wavey: :)

88 PS190
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
ok, wakeboards are quite easy to get up on, if you just relax.

You start with the board mostly horizontal in the water and you w/ your legs bent behind it.

W/ both hands on the handle you give the driver the go ahead and let the boat pull you up. When the boat pulls you'll basically end up being pulled up onto the thing w/o having to do any work what so ever.

It may take you some pulls before you get it, but you will get it rather quickly. Don't try to pull yourself up, just relax.

Some don'ts, once you are up the board should feel like it naturally goes either rff or lff and don't fight it, that's probably the best way for you to be. Don't try to keep it riding side ways, or you will catch an edge.

tex
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Relax and start with board sideways. When you feel power, bend your knees and let the board come to your a$$. Spin it and stand up. Don't try to muscle it.

The other way is to turn it like a slalom ski and just ride it!

Workin' 4 Toys
04-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Ride it hard, Take the first chance you can to cut the wake hard Heel side first, then tip your toes in, it will make you do a face plant, but you want to get the first one over with right away so you will know what NOT to do again. But you wan't be afraid of it anymore.

HOLD YOUR EDGE!!!

Does your board have fins in the center and along the edges?

04-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Ride it hard, Take the first chance you can to cut the wake hard Heel side first, then tip your toes in, it will make you do a face plant, but you want to get the first one over with right away so you will know what NOT to do again. But you wan't be afraid of it anymore.

HOLD YOUR EDGE!!!

Does your board have fins in the center and along the edges?
Thats like my dad taking his new car/truck out in the woods the first day and scratching he!! out of it, got it over with, no more worries.

Yes, the board has those little fins in on both ends of the board, right in the center of each end.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Thats like my dad taking his new car/truck out in the woods the first day and scratching he!! out of it, got it over with, no more worries.

Yes, the board has those little fins in on both ends of the board, right in the center of each end.So 2 total, or 6?

04-28-2006, 11:45 PM
So 2 total, or 6?
2 total, one on each end, in the center. does that matter?? :confused:

SKI*MC
04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
these guys don't know what they are talking about. Get up, and right away cut out and use the beginning roller as a kicker. Hit that and do what ever you want off it, (i like to do nose grab 1's off it. Then cut as hard as you can out of the wake, you should be getting what looks like a slalom spray, then change directions as fast as you can, and just crank it into the wake. AS HARD AS YOU CAN! Stand up right as you are about to hit the wake, and you will fly high my man. Also, for best results, have your boat waited 100% in the back for the most EXTREAME wake! :D :banana: :steering:

Leroy
04-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Glad to see you smarten up UMP! www.wakeworld.com (http://www.wakeworld.com) and several other sites have great how to and beginner up hints.

It really is a lot of fun and a lot less stress on your body, until you catch an edge.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-29-2006, 12:24 AM
And have them hold about 22 mph..

SKI*MC
04-29-2006, 12:26 AM
well actaully speed varies boat by boat. Especially amung the v-drives. they normally go faster at wakeboard speeds. I ride at about 19-20 with my 83, and about 22-23 with the X-Star. And if ump is riding unweighted, then you could even pull 18-19. IMO

Workin' 4 Toys
04-29-2006, 12:28 AM
well actaully speed varies boat by boat. Especially amung the v-drives. they normally go faster at wakeboard speeds. I ride at about 19-20 with my 83, and about 22-23 with the X-Star. And if ump is riding unweighted, then you could even pull 18-19. IMO
Are you trying to confuse him, you'll be lucky he knows which direction the rope goes...;)

Leroy
04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Here you go!

http://www.wakeworld.com/TrickList/TrickTips.asp

SKI*MC
04-29-2006, 12:30 AM
yeah your right, back to my technique before. Just tell them to floor it, you'll get in thwe swing of things 10 times better at 44 MPH!

tex
04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
1. Go HeelSide. Cut in normal but when you get to the wake put more weight on your toeside. 2. Stand tall, and let the wake take you. Jump off. 3. throw your legs back so your flying like superman, your body should be flat. 4. Bend your knees so they are staight out and look away from your landing spot for as long as you can take! 5. Hold it, then get back into your normal landing position. 6. Spot your landing. 7. Keep your knees bent as you land (as always).

Have someone in the boat with 911 dialed up and waiting to hit call!

Workin' 4 Toys
04-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Oh, and if possible, use a "wire" instead of a ski rope.

05-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Alright, I will try everything and report back. :toast: