PDA

View Full Version : Wego Kite Tube

skilew
04-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Has anyone tried the Wego Kite Tube?

This new flying tube is suppose to hover or fly above the water. I am thinking about buying one but before I spend $500.00, I would like to hear from someone who has tried one of these new flying tubes.

jrcarte78
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Here's an older thread about something similar I believe.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6773&highlight=kite+tube

Farmer Ted
04-28-2006, 01:17 PM
The way people in our country like to litigate, I can't wait to see the lawsuits this thing is going to generate.....

sand2snow22
04-28-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree Farmer, watch the end of this and tell me it's not a lawsuit waiting to happen....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3662795352661557160&q=kite

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 01:23 PM
I agree Farmer, watch the end of this and tell me it's not a lawsuit waiting to happen....

That's a classic. Can't wait to see that on the lake this summer.

RobertT
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
some of your purists might puke when you hear this, but our local MC dealer is having a demo day Saturday with one of those. I think its a great idea, and I plan on giving it a shot.

perhaps if you are interested I will give a review.

Sad, sad day. tubes.

88 PS190
04-28-2006, 01:54 PM
that looked fun to me... definately jump helmet material.

erkoehler
04-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Dude, that guy is going to be in some serious pain.....I'm not sure he even walked away from that???

Farmer Ted
04-28-2006, 01:57 PM

I personally think those things would be a blast, in the hands of a responsible person.

But....take into account the large number of dip$hits in the world coupled with high alcohol consumption and that thing is a recipe for death or serious injury.

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I personally think those things would be a blast, in the hands of a responsible person.

But....take into account the large number of dip$hits in the world coupled with high alcohol consumption and that thing is a recipe for death or serious injury.

Now Farmer, I'm not sure you have been on the lake in a while, but nobody drinks while boating anymore...oh s--t what am I saying :friday:

RobertT
04-28-2006, 02:25 PM
I just watched that video. Holy crap, the last three seconds went really bad for that guy.

I still laughed though.

Ric
04-28-2006, 03:05 PM
fox news had one on their show this am
it had won some sports product of the year award

I didn't see the clip but rather heard it on xm while driving

it's definitely getting some press

RobertT
04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
We have power lines going across our lake about 50 or 60' up. Theoretically, you could get fried with that thing.

Wow.

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that would make the evening news.

Diesel
04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Friend of mine got one with his new X-80. He took it out for the first time last weekend and nearly "died" (using his words). He estimated being 15-20 feet up and then the thing just started doing air barrel rolls until he smacked the water. Boat was running 35mph, tube was hooked to the tower (a big no-no according to the instructions), and had a first time driver (little brother) who could not pull back on the throttle because he was laughing so hard :purplaugh

I cannot wait to give it a shot! I think the driver/rider relationship is very important with this toy.

Farmer Ted
04-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Now Farmer, I'm not sure you have been on the lake in a while, but nobody drinks while boating anymore...oh s--t what am I saying :friday:

Hey I don't boat with dip$hits, we're more about consuming cold beer after we destroy our bodies without our inhibitions being reduced chemically....

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey I don't boat with dip$hits, we're more about consuming cold beer after we destroy our bodies without our inhibitions being reduced chemically....
Wow. A little touchy Farmer. Could have down without the expletive. Thanks for the input about what "we're" about. Mine was a reference to all the yahoo's on the lake. But yours is noted.

Farmer Ted
04-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Wow. A little touchy Farmer. Could have down without the expletive. Thanks for the input about what "we're" about. Mine was a reference to all the yahoo's on the lake. But yours is noted.

That wasn't intended as a jab at you, sorry I thought it was Ric, your Avatars.....my bad

More at the knuckleheads who jump on a jet ski or get in a boat unaware/unconcerned of how to operate it safely without being drunk.....now factor in the booze and the lake just got that much more dangerous.

So, imagine the lawsuits that will ensue due to the lack of personal accountability.

"Well you honor, I got on this tube kite and didn't know it was going to cause me bodily harm if I fell off of it from 30 feet in the air going 35 miles per hour."

So, if you mistook that for a poke in the eye, it wasn't meant to be.

I like to drink and have fun on the lake just as much as the next guy (ask Brad) but I know my limits and when to knock it off and let the wife take over....

88 PS190
04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
See if you injure yourself not obeying the directions i think its solidly your fault.

And when they say bindings don't release... they mean it.

Watersports are dangerous, but we love them anyway.

stevo137
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
This is insane. If you use this despite warnings you deserve whatever happens...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
That thing looks fun, but it looks uncontrollable, unpredictable, and potentially dangerous. I dont know...... :noface:

Footin
04-28-2006, 08:17 PM
A lawsuit waiting to happen....exactly why I sold my parasail.

Tom023
04-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I played that video at least five times and laughed my a$$ off everytime. Not for me, but if someone gets one on my lake I'll be sure to be a spectator. I don't doubt I'll see one behind one of the monster powered bass boats that are indigenous to my lake.

skilew
04-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Now which to buy the Sevylor Manta Ray Tube or the Wego Kite Tube? Any suggestions. And where is that video?

Thanks,
Skilew

Ric
04-29-2006, 08:33 AM
That wasn't intended as a jab at you, sorry I thought it was Ric, your Avatars.....my bad

More at the knuckleheads who jump on a jet ski or get in a boat unaware/unconcerned of how to operate it safely without being drunk.....now factor in the booze and the lake just got that much more dangerous.

So, imagine the lawsuits that will ensue due to the lack of personal accountability.

"Well you honor, I got on this tube kite and didn't know it was going to cause me bodily harm if I fell off of it from 30 feet in the air going 35 miles per hour."

So, if you mistook that for a poke in the eye, it wasn't meant to be.

I like to drink and have fun on the lake just as much as the next guy (ask Brad) but I know my limits and when to knock it off and let the wife take over....
How'd I get dragged into this :toast:

bigmac
04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Now which to buy the Sevylor Manta Ray Tube or the Wego Kite Tube? Any suggestions. And where is that video?

Thanks,
Skilew

I have the Wego (haven't used it yet), but I do note that the Manta is about $75 cheaper. I also wonder, given its Rogallo-like shape (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogallo_wing), whether or not it might be more stable in flight with less of a tendency to barrel-roll than the Wego tube. OTOH, it does have significantly less wing area.

The Wego video is at http://www.sportsstuff.com/ . The Manta video is at http://www.qualityinflatables.com/st3950.html . Looking critically at the Manta video, it appears that the relative lack of lifting surface seems to result in more trouble getting into the air even at relatively higher speed. Also, although it may well be rider-dependant, I detect nothing on the Manta video to suggest that it is inherently more stable than the Wego.

SkiDog
04-29-2006, 08:55 AM
That thing looks fun, but it looks uncontrollable, unpredictable, and potentially dangerous. I dont know...... :noface:

Hey UMP, are you talking about WOMEN, or the kite tube?!?!?! :D

04-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Hey UMP, are you talking about WOMEN, or the kite tube?!?!?! :D
Oh, you guys were talking about flying kite-tubes here? :confused: DOH!!! sorry....

;) :uglyhamme

skitilldark
04-29-2006, 10:40 AM
See if you injure yourself not obeying the directions i think its solidly your fault.

And when they say bindings don't release... they mean it.

Watersports are dangerous, but we love them anyway.

Surely it carries the same "death and/or dismemberment" disclaimer that is on all of our slaloms and wakeboards. Heck, I'd like to try it(before I start drinking).

Farmer Ted
04-29-2006, 10:49 AM
How'd I get dragged into this :toast:

you're in everything man :banana:

CHILIDOGGER
05-11-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.kfdm1.com/engine.pl?station=kfdm&id=14598&template=breakoutlocal.html

Maristar210
05-11-2006, 12:07 PM
It will not be long and they'll be outlawed.

1800CALLSAM must be licking his chops on the above article...

Steve

jraben8
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
First clue should be the skull and crossbones on the underside of the tube.... Oh wait, the rider doesn't see that part.

rick s.
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
My dealer told me (of course the kids were listening) that several people have been killed on these things. Imagine falling from the tube 20 feet in the air going (35?) pretty fast. Head hits the water and slows down while the rest of the body is still going pretty fast....instant back or neck injury.

Not on my boat.

atlfootr
05-11-2006, 12:30 PM

But....take into account the large number of dip$hits in the world coupled with high alcohol consumption and that thing is a recipe for death or serious injury.Can you say, "LAWYER"?
Let 'em both be outlawed AFTER I buy 'em!
Add this one too ... Manta Ray
'Never kite higher than you're willing to fall.'

rodltg2
05-11-2006, 01:07 PM
i cant wait to see the yahoo's on those things this summer.

beef
05-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Already got one and it is a blast. I plan on using it only when the lake's blown out, etc.

I can definitely see how people can get hurt on these things. It seems like the primary responsibility is going to be on the driver and observer(s). You really need eyes in the back of your head when driving for this thing because it can get out of hand quickly. It will be safest when driven into a good headwind, since this will allow it to fly while keeping the water speed down. My son already did a good "pancake flipper" on it from about 10 feet up. Didn't get hurt - but it did make me realize how quickly the kite tube will put you down.

bigmac
05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
It will not be long and they'll be outlawed.

1800CALLSAM must be licking his chops on the above article...

Steve

Whom do you think is going to do the outlaw-ing?

bigmac
05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
i cant wait to see the yahoo's on those things this summer.

I can't wait to try mine.

I hope none of my buddies find out how dangerous they are before we get the thing out there.

jimmer2880
05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I just talked to a couple friends of mine who flew theirs for the first time last weekend. The first guy to ride had a very hard fall. The kind where people on the boat dive in the water after him to make sure he's alright. He was about 15' up, when in the blink of an eye, he went head first into the water. He's ok, but it sure scared everyone in the boat. We pulled up, & he was still laying across the back of the boat. Ouch.

But - it does look like fun!

michael freeman
05-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I just talked to a couple friends of mine who flew theirs for the first time last weekend. The first guy to ride had a very hard fall. The kind where people on the boat dive in the water after him to make sure he's alright. He was about 15' up, when in the blink of an eye, he went head first into the water. He's ok, but it sure scared everyone in the boat. We pulled up, & he was still laying across the back of the boat. Ouch.

But - it does look like fun!

Do you know if they were pulling him from the tower or the pylon? I'm also curious how fast they were going.

I bought one but haven't used it yet. I would like to have a semi-safe adventure with my friends and family.

betsy&david Harrison
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I have been watching the guys on the lake in front of us use one of these flying tubes for about a year now and two weeks ago I saw a gust of wind catch it while the guy was in the air and it flipped. Not cool!

jimmer2880
05-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Do you know if they were pulling him from the tower or the pylon? I'm also curious how fast they were going.

I bought one but haven't used it yet. I would like to have a semi-safe adventure with my friends and family.

They were in an I/O, & were pulling from something like our rear tow eye.

I think they were going around 20 - but I could be wrong.

RobertT
05-12-2006, 10:37 AM
I tried the Manta Ray the other day, gusting winds and while I was on it the driver got up to about 35mph. Kind of lame really, to be honest. The Wego might be better, but the Manta just wasn't much fun.

At 35, hanging off the back, it almost seemed like I could just put my feet down and use it as a barefoot rope!

You know when you are going too fast on a tube when you let go and slide 30' on your back before sinking.

Tubes are death. Fun, but death.

Maristar210
05-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Whom do you think is going to do the outlaw-ing?

Perhaps a poor choice of words but they'll be off the market nonetheless. :rolleyes:

Steve

bigmac
05-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Perhaps a poor choice of words but they'll be off the market nonetheless. :rolleyes:

Steve

Glad I got mine now, then... :)

ndlare
05-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I plan to get one of these but we will use big time caution. If it can't be controlled by the driver, we just overpaid for a trampoline.

http://www.kfdm1.com/engine.pl?station=kfdm&id=14598&template=breakoutlocal.html

bigmac
05-14-2006, 02:46 PM
I was kind of hoping to get mine in the water this weekend, but the recent rain and temps have plunged to water temps down to 52 degrees. As a result, I found a distinct lack of enthusiasm amongst my thrill-seeking friends.

River Rat
05-14-2006, 06:18 PM
As a result, I found a distinct lack of enthusiasm amongst my thrill-seeking friends.
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

WakeSeeky
05-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Happened across this (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/326113.html?1147587155) post. Honestly, I think the Wego looks like fun and would probably try one myself, but be careful out there guys!

bucky
05-14-2006, 08:44 PM
I have no doubt I will see these things being pulled at 60 mph behind a waverunner before the end of summer. So I wonder, how much lift is required to cause loss of control of a waverunner? In the event the toober could stay on, that is.

tex
05-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Bucky,
Did you just get kicked off American Idol?

rabooze
05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
I may be a wuss, but I would not be caught dead on this thing at 35 MPH. After seeing that video, i need known of that. I experienced what happens when you just slam the water kneeboarding and wakeboarding (3 concussions, blown ear drums, etc.) to know better than to get on this death machine. Those of you thinking of pulling one behind your boat, beware of a lawsuit forthcoming from the rider in the even of an injury.

6ballsisall
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree on the lawsuit thang. 5 years ago I was nearly killed on a double tube. Boat driving was playing crack the whip, somehow I went over the front of the tube and got caught ahead of the tube and on the rope. Rope wrapped over my right shoulder under the armpit and proceeded to slice my pit wide open then drug me along ways before I could break loose. Had it not been for my armpit catching the rope it would have been my neck.

These types of things are just to dangerous. It's one thing to pull someone on a tube like it was designed for but no one does that anymore. Deaths and lawsuits are just begging to come

bucky
05-14-2006, 11:08 PM
No? I've never watched. :confused: :confused: Bucky,
Did you just get kicked off American Idol?

erkoehler
05-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Alot of the danger lies in the drivers hands, so hope they're good at it :popcorn:

jimmer2880
05-15-2006, 05:26 AM
after watching that video, and reading some of their posts. It won't be long before they are outlawed.

WakeSeeky
05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
If "they" outlawed all potentially dangerous or fatal activities behind a boat, I suspect a lot of us wouldn't own a boat at all because we wouldn't see any point. Skiers and wakeboarders have been killed. A recent post on here discussed a critically injured barefooter who got pulled into a boat. Heck, I doubt I'd even have a lake, we have half-dozen or so drownings here every year. I risk a lawsuit every time I pull someone behind my boat. Wish it weren't so, but that's why I pay for insurance.

I've seen these kite tubes at the lake and they look like a blast. Like most water toys, it's almost certainly a good idea to use them according to the manufacturer's instructions. Are they more or less dangerous than any other watersport? I don't know, maybe there's more potential for for people to misuse them, but personally I would never argue for banning them. :twocents:

erkoehler
05-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Good point, I bet a barefoot fall going 45mph longline will hurt more than falling from the tube???? :)

bigmac
05-15-2006, 12:02 PM
If "they" outlawed all potentially dangerous or fatal activities behind a boat, I suspect a lot of us wouldn't own a boat at all because we wouldn't see any point. Skiers and wakeboarders have been killed. A recent post on here discussed a critically injured barefooter who got pulled into a boat. Heck, I doubt I'd even have a lake, we have half-dozen or so drownings here every year. I risk a lawsuit every time I pull someone behind my boat. Wish it weren't so, but that's why I pay for insurance.

I've seen these kite tubes at the lake and they look like a blast. Like most water toys, it's almost certainly a good idea to use them according to the manufacturer's instructions. Are they more or less dangerous than any other watersport? I don't know, maybe there's more potential for for people to misuse them, but personally I would never argue for banning them. :twocents:

THANK YOU for putting this ridiculous talk of "outlawing" a towable water device into a realistic perspective.

Whether or not the Wego kite tube survives in the marketplace will be a combination of the usual market factors. And this being America, of course, we have to throw in the additional effect our tort system will have. If they don't sell enough of these things to make any money, or if their lawsuit settlements prohibit them from selling it at a reasonable price point, then it will disappear from the market, voluntarily withdrawn by the manufacturer. In the meantime, ALL of us here ought to hope that no agency tries to outlaw this kite tube, because if we let them tell US what's too dangerous for us, your slalom ski or wakeboard may well be next on the hit list.

05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
THANK YOU In the meantime, ALL of us here ought to hope that no agency tries to outlaw this kite tube, because if we let them tell US what's too dangerous for us, your slalom ski or wakeboard may well be next on the hit list.
Yep, and its no different with them wanting to ban handguns, or force us to wear seatbelts or motorcycle helmets....... :noface: after all they do need to save us from ourselves.

Why dont the Guvvament just get it over with and outlaw FUN all together??? one law does it all. no need for all these stupid rinky dink laws, just wipe out anything fun with one law. No more baseball, motorcycles, birthday parties, water skiing, pac man, cool aid, checkers, Bugs bunny cartoons, monster truck shows, pop rocks, kites, coloring books, ice skating, football, finger painting, swing sets, bungee jumping, sky diving, christmas cookies, bicycles, trampolines, cotton candy, drag racing, popcorn, diving boards, ice cream, swimming pools, popsicles, jokes, and on and on and on. :rolleyes:

Jerseydave
05-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Someone already got killed on one of those tubes.

There's a thread about it at www.wakeworld.com

05-15-2006, 02:20 PM

where? I couldnt find the thread..... :confused:

michael freeman
05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
where? I couldnt find the thread..... :confused:

I think it is the same link that is in this thread. It was a guy down in Houston that fell and injured his neck and later died.

WakeSeeky
05-15-2006, 04:23 PM
ALL of us here ought to hope that no agency tries to outlaw this kite tube, because if we let them tell US what's too dangerous for us, your slalom ski or wakeboard may well be next on the hit list.

They'll have quite a time prying my SkySki out of my paws... ;)

It would be nice if all this boating stuff were perfectly safe. It's not. That being the case, I'd just rather take my own precautions and decide for myself what risks I'm willing to take without government "assistance".

WakeSeeky
05-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Good point, I bet a barefoot fall going 45mph longline will hurt more than falling from the tube???? :)

Have you ever seen speed skiers? We see that sometimes, usually in the winter. I don't know how fast they go, 60, 70 mph? It's fun to watch them blow by, but seriously, *that* is nuts. ;)

jimmer2880
05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
whooowww.... I am absolutely not for banning much of anything, and was certainly not saying that they should ban them. All I was saying was, that if a certain group of citizens hear about this, they will certainly try. I will fight against such a ban, as I hate it when someone tries to protect me from myself (even though, I'm sure I need it).

Heck - if they banned 3-wheelers, they can ban anything. How on earth is a 3-wheeler any less save than a 2-wheeler? But - I digressed.

Maristar210
05-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Glad I got mine now, then... :)

Me too. Pin it.

Steve

jimmer2880
05-16-2006, 04:47 AM
They'll have quite a time prying my SkySki out of my paws... ;)

It would be nice if all this boating stuff were perfectly safe. It's not. That being the case, I'd just rather take my own precautions and decide for myself what risks I'm willing to take without government "assistance".

I totally agree. I'd rather die doing something that's actually fun and just a little bit dangerous than sitting in a wheelchair with a drool cup.

jimmer2880
05-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Have you ever seen speed skiers? We see that sometimes, usually in the winter. I don't know how fast they go, 60, 70 mph? It's fun to watch them blow by, but seriously, *that* is nuts. ;)

I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you have any pic's?

jimmer2880
05-16-2006, 04:56 AM

Not if you're going wide-open and getting 20' of air from the tube. Also, the tube if it flips over acts like a huge wing in the other direction, actually pushing you down to the water faster than if you would have just left go. One of the posts said that 3 out of 5 went to the ER in one night.

There are some old-timers that I regularly ski with who - back in the day - made their own ski kites. In the early days of the kites before they had it perfected, they had some real hard falls. These are some of the toughest guys I know, so coming from them - that means something.

Like I said before - I'm not FOR banning them, only see how if the news gets a hold of too many of these, I see how they could be. Kind of like teak surfing. Let's hope they stay out of the news.

canopyskirts
05-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Well the Wego Kite Tube (and similar devices) have recently been banned at our private lake just this spring. (Central Iowa) The board met and one of the members brought in some literature and videos of the kite tube. By the next meeting the bylaws had been rewritten to ban these things. They have been grouped into the whole "parasailing, flying apparatus" type devices.

Our lake isn't very wide and after having watched several of these video clips I can understand from a safety standpoint why they banned them. I'm not for people legislating a common sense decision that I should get to make...get on the tube and nearly kill myself or don't...but from the safety standpoint of others it needs to be considered. These kite tubes will interest every adrenline seeker and unfortunately many of those "weekend" boaters are not as skilled in watercraft/boating safety. The last thing I need is for some kid on a kite tube to come sailing 25' in the air at 30 mph toward my boat. :-)

On the flip side...I'd love to see these in person. It's one of those things that appears to be very cool to "watch". I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get on one unless I FULLY trusted the driver and even then I would have second thoughts.

I may be wrong but I bet these things will be hitting the news hard this summer. The Wego tube looks so unstable once it is high in the air. A few serious injuries and even a death at the local lake will put the brakes on these things. Maybe not...but I would be surprised.

RobertT
05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
My brother in law bought one.....long story short his boating buddy took it out last weekend. Fast forward two hours.....

Broken collar bone, broken wrist, three broken ribs.

I dont think they should outlaw anything, but hearing that from somebody I know made me rethink even the possibility of buying one.

Also, It reinforced my hatred of tubes. My 12 year old broke his arm the last day of the season last year tubing. I know the kids love them, but my personal opinion is that they are the most dangerous thing on the lake.

Plus, as I have said before, tubing behind a Mastercraft is like pulling a pop up camper behind a Ferrari. Bleck!

pilot02
05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=
..... tubing behind a Mastercraft is like pulling a pop up camper behind a Ferrari. QUOTE]

props on the quote. Best thing I've seen...

WakeSeeky
05-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you have any pic's?

I wish, but sorry, no pictures. We don't see speed skiers very often and when we do they are usually a long way away, I assume because you sure wouldn't want to have to suddenly avoid another boat with someone in tow at that speed.

Basically, the skier straps on two skis and hangs on for dear life behind the boat. I'm guessing the ones we've seen were doing 60-70 mph. It is something else to see, but it's probably not the smartest sport anyone has ever come up with. :eek:

WakeSeeky
05-16-2006, 11:30 AM
And just for the record, I don't thing anyone on here actually advocated banning kite tubes, I'm sorry if I implied that. I've got a huge ol' lake to go play on and there's plenty of room for whatever you want to do, including get yourself in serious trouble. My husband corrected me last night, it turns out there were 25 drownings last year, way more than I guessed. As tragic as each of those is, most were preventable by following existing regulations and/or applying some common sense. I just hate seeing more and more regulation enacted to protect me from myself because someone else was drunk/unprepared/foolish. :twocents:

Harvey
05-16-2006, 01:43 PM

Here is the full story:

Article from www.steadywinds.com (http://www.steadywinds.com ) below.

KFDM-TV Channel Six News writes…

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department tonight is investigating the death of a man who fell off something called a kite tube and landed in the water near the Neches River and the Intracoastal Waterway.

Advertisers say buy a kite tube, and you’ll reach ‘incredible heights.’

Water sports enthusiast Don Burnett says, “As wind gets underneath it, you just start to fly.”

Three weeks ago Burnett of Lumberton ordered a kite tube.

Burnett says, “Adrenaline water sport we enjoy doing.”

But as Texas Parks and Wildlife knows first hand, the thrill of flight can leave danger in its wake. On Sunday 33-year-old James Freeland of Orangefield died after falling off a kite tube near Stutes Island where the Neches River meets the Intracoastal Waterway.

Game Warden Robbie Smith says, “Common sense is really an oxymoron. People don’t use it that often. They don’t think before.”

According to another game warden’s preliminary report, Freeland was about 15 feet in the air on the tube. Several witnesses say the kite tube turned onto its side in the air and then fell to the water. Freeland was knocked off. His neck was injured, and he died at a hospital.

Smith says, “It sounds like it was just an accident. As far as being able to put responsibility on somebody, I don’t know you can.”

An instructional video on sportsstuff.com says the boat driver has far more control over the rider than in other water sports.

The announcer on the video says, “The speed, height and flight control are all directly associated with the boat driver.”

Parks and Wildlife says there is no evidence the driver was impaired, and he hasn’t been cited. But the accident has caused Burnett to rethink whether he’ll take a ride on his tube when it arrives.

Burnett says, “Certainly something I’ll look into and evaluate and weigh the options as far as fun and the risk of getting hurt or harmed.”

Game wardens admit they don’t know much about this new extreme sport, so they’re not suggesting you avoid it. But they agree with the words printed on this tube, ‘Never kite higher than you’re willing to fall.’

Freeland will be laid to rest on Thursday. KFDM News checked with local stores, and we couldn’t find any that sell kite tubes. For comments or questions about this story contact Sally MacDonald at 895-4662 or sallymac [at] kfdm [dot] com.

atlfootr
05-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Happened across this (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/326113.html?1147587155) post. Honestly, I think the Wego looks like fun and would probably try one myself, but be careful out there guys!
Page Not Found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed or is temporarily unavailable.

Return To WakeWorld Home

WakeSeeky
05-17-2006, 11:47 AM
It looks like the thread has been removed. I don't spend anywhere near enough time on that board to guess why, but it doesn't seem to come up in a search. Anyway, it had a link to the article Harvey posted.

Diesel
05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Check out these crazy videos :eek:

I think this one is Eastie's boat! :D

http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album44

Crazy stuff!! I am a little more apprehensive about this thing now. If I try it at all I will not do it without a very trusted driver.

shepherd
05-18-2006, 03:13 PM
THANK YOU for putting this ridiculous talk of "outlawing" a towable water device into a realistic perspective.

Whether or not the Wego kite tube survives in the marketplace will be a combination of the usual market factors. And this being America, of course, we have to throw in the additional effect our tort system will have. If they don't sell enough of these things to make any money, or if their lawsuit settlements prohibit them from selling it at a reasonable price point, then it will disappear from the market, voluntarily withdrawn by the manufacturer. In the meantime, ALL of us here ought to hope that no agency tries to outlaw this kite tube, because if we let them tell US what's too dangerous for us, your slalom ski or wakeboard may well be next on the hit list.

Very well put bigmac. :mad:

Besides, what better way to reduce the toober population on our lakes: let them kill or injure themselves... :rolleyes:

bigmac
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Check out these crazy videos :eek:

I think this one is Eastie's boat! :D

http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album44

Crazy stuff!! I am a little more apprehensive about this thing now. If I try it at all I will not do it without a very trusted driver.

That first one always cracks me up. The second one - the rider must be a pretty big boy since the boat speed seems pretty high. After a few minutes stuggling, looks like he caught a gust of wind went high, then smack.

Good times.

Mi.mc
05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
that looked painful....

SkiDog
05-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I used to want one of these Kite tubes, however, after watching these two clips, I think that, at my age, broke bones ain't a good thing! I gots no intentions of getting slammed to the water by means of ANY apparatus such as this one! I gots tooooo much to live for! :eek:

Mi.mc
05-18-2006, 10:17 PM
i dont know- they look fun enough for me to risk breaking myself- my problem is the price

atlfootr
05-20-2006, 12:04 PM
i dont know- they look fun enough for me to risk breaking myself- my problem is the priceLOOKS like WEGO KITES hit it big in this month's WaterSki Mag .... 2 FULL COLOR pages in June Issue!

FrankSchwab
05-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I've got a lot of experience being towed by a rope behind a truck or ultralight in my hang glider. I know what it takes to safely tow a lightweight aircraft, and I know how quickly things can go wrong and kill someone.

As far as the kite tubes, my little head says these look like a blast, and I should try one. My big head says "Are you crazy? Do you know how hard it is to safely tow an airworthy craft, much less one of these things?".

Sadly, my big head will probably win.

/frank

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but w/ he hang glider and a truck, you could have a rope release, and cut yourself loose

wish they told you more aftermath.

bigmac
05-20-2006, 04:01 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but w/ he hang glider and a truck, you could have a rope release, and cut yourself loose

On full-scale gliders, aero tow is usually at the nose with a manual release, winch or truck tows are usually center-of-gravity. Usually, there is far greater danger to the tow plane than to the plane being towed. Manual release for a winch tow or truck tow is standard.

I've flown ultralights, but never towed a hang glider - that seems nuts to me.

A manual release is standard, for both the tow plane and the aircraft being towed.

Mi.mc
05-20-2006, 04:27 PM
On full-scale gliders, aero tow is usually at the nose with a manual release, winch or truck tows are usually center-of-gravity. Usually, there is far greater danger to the tow plane than to the plane being towed. Manual release for a winch tow or truck tow is standard.

I've flown ultralights, but never towed a hang glider - that seems nuts to me.

A manual release is standard, for both the tow plane and the aircraft being towed.

people tow hang gliders with ultralights? that sounds dummer than dumb

bigmac
05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
people tow hang gliders with ultralights? that sounds dummer than dumbIMHO, it sounds far more dangerous than being towed on a 10-foot diameter air-filled tube at 25-30 mph behind a boat, over water, and at an altitude of 25 feet or less... :eek:

FrankSchwab
05-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, the current world record hang glider flight of about 430 miles was towed up by an ultralight....

Actually, hang glider towing (whether truck, boat, or ultralight) is done at roughly the same speeds (~25-30 mph). The difference is, I can turn left, turn right, and (on truck or boat tow) slow down or speed up. I have a release if things go bad; there's a weak link in the tow rope, and in an ultralight, the pilot has a release also.

On that death machine, you got nothin. Starting out at 30 mph at 25' up, if the towable locks out and arcs to the left or right into the water, you could be doing 50 when you hit the water heading straight down. Maybe you get out of the water laughing, maybe your friends drag you unconscious into the boat before you drown. Maybe you find out your neck or your aorta isn't as strong as you thought. Your choice; mine is to get my flying done on a flying machine, and get my water sports done on a water sports device. No flying a tube for me!

bigmac
05-20-2006, 09:56 PM
On that death machine, you got nothin. Starting out at 30 mph at 25' up, if the towable locks out and arcs to the left or right into the water, you could be doing 50 when you hit the water heading straight down. Maybe you get out of the water laughing, maybe your friends drag you unconscious into the boat before you drown. Maybe you find out your neck or your aorta isn't as strong as you thought. Your choice; mine is to get my flying done on a flying machine, and get my water sports done on a water sports device. No flying a tube for me!Each to his own, of course. ;)

I wonder how fast a slalom skier is going, being towed at 36 mph as he/she crosses the wake...or how fast a barefooter is going being towed at 46 mph (oops..I guess it's 46 mph. :) ). I also wonder about the risks involved in an aerial with a 60 lb hydrofoil strapped to one's butt.

We all take our risks in different ways :) They all seem kinda nuts if you think about it...

FrankSchwab
05-20-2006, 10:59 PM
No problem. You pick your poison, I'll pick mine. Ya might wanna consult with an expert when your poison is possibly fatal, however.

Remember that it's not the horizontal speed that's gonna hurt so bad. It's the vertical speed. Motorcycle racers fall off at 100 mph (horizontal) on asphalt all the time - hit asphalt vertically at 100 mph and the results are quite different.

Towing an aircraft is quite effective at converting horizontal pull into vertical speed, quickly and unexpectedly. Talk to sailplane pilots or hang glider pilots to get a sense of the painful history of learning that lesson.

88 PS190
05-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I know falling on water frequently hurts more than falling snow skiing, the water grabs you so that even horizontal forces become more severe, where as snow cushions and slides the water just snatches.

Larryp
05-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I saw a guy take off on a kite tube today. i said to myself, wind blowing 20 mph he's gonna be taking a quick drink and to no ones suprise he did. He was about 25 feet in the air. Luckly, I was at the dock wearing my Texas Tech hat and I saw an guy wearing his aggie hat. I looked at him and said "I suppose you'll be getting one of those". I about fell out of my boat laughing. What a stupid a contraption.

bigmac
05-20-2006, 11:55 PM
No problem. You pick your poison, I'll pick mine. Ya might wanna consult with an expert when your poison is possibly fatal, however.

Remember that it's not the horizontal speed that's gonna hurt so bad. It's the vertical speed. Motorcycle racers fall off at 100 mph (horizontal) on asphalt all the time - hit asphalt vertically at 100 mph and the results are quite different.

Towing an aircraft is quite effective at converting horizontal pull into vertical speed, quickly and unexpectedly. Talk to sailplane pilots or hang glider pilots to get a sense of the painful history of learning that lesson.I am a sailplane pilot and have a tow pilot endorsement.

This is a great thread, if not a little puzzling. All this anti-kite-tube brouhaha based on a single newspaper article and anticipation without any first-hand info. I am increasingly interested to get that tube inflated and flying so I can report on its extreme danger with some authority. I wish the water would warm up, or my thrill-seeker friends would get dry-suits.

bigmac
05-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I know falling on water frequently hurts more than falling snow skiing, the water grabs you so that even horizontal forces become more severe, where as snow cushions and slides the water just snatches.Yes, the 50 mph injuries that might break necks or rupture aortas are based on deceleration - doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical deceleration.

SKI*MC
05-21-2006, 12:05 AM
I know falling on water frequently hurts more than falling snow skiing, the water grabs you so that even horizontal forces become more severe, where as snow cushions and slides the water just snatches.

Good point. But water you can fall into, it has some cussion. Whereas snow, its just hard! A land on a wakeboard is so much softer than a snowboard land.

bigmac
05-21-2006, 12:14 AM

Alas, there are no kite tubing experts around here. I'm gonna have to just wing it.

It would be interesting to look at fatality rates for kite-tubing vs hang gliding. Maybe we'll have sufficient data points by the end of this summer. Hope I'm not one of them.

FrankSchwab
05-21-2006, 01:31 AM
OK, my quick statistics (and I won't argue hours vs. participants vs. miles vs. your favorite statistic):
about 1 in 1000 hang glider pilots die every year hang gliding. This number is roughly the same for private pilots and for sailplane pilots. I don't have seperate numbers for foot-launching hang gliders ("Jumping off a mountain") versus tow launching hang gliders vs. accidents during flight vs. accidents during landing.
About 1 in 7000 people die in auto accidents every year. (42000 deaths last year / 298 million people in the US). So, that places hang gliding at about 7 times as dangerous as driving or being driven during the year.

Let's see if you can come up with some statistics for the tube.

/frank

bigmac
05-21-2006, 08:21 AM
OK, my quick statistics (and I won't argue hours vs. participants vs. miles vs. your favorite statistic):
about 1 in 1000 hang glider pilots die every year hang gliding. This number is roughly the same for private pilots and for sailplane pilots. I don't have seperate numbers for foot-launching hang gliders ("Jumping off a mountain") versus tow launching hang gliders vs. accidents during flight vs. accidents during landing.
About 1 in 7000 people die in auto accidents every year. (42000 deaths last year / 298 million people in the US). So, that places hang gliding at about 7 times as dangerous as driving or being driven during the year.

Let's see if you can come up with some statistics for the tube.

/frank

I doubt we'll see any stats unless this tube starts killing people right and left. Then we'll be able to see statistics that will be part of the resultant attempt to create hysteria on the part of the media. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it was just an idle question. Like most statistics, their relevance would be suspect, and it's unlikely that those stats, one way or the other, would have any effect on sales. The price point is likely to be more prohibitive than any set of negative statistics. People tend to choose to participate in risky endeavors based on their own perception, and their own willingness to accept a certain risk/benefit ratio, as we've seen in this and other kite-tube threads here on TMC. The often-quoted mortality rate for gastric bypass surgery for weight loss is between 1 and 4 percent. People are lining up for it right and left.

I think people will look at the kite tube and make an immediate decision based on their own perception of its risk, and no statistics will move them one way or the other. I certainly don't see many people saying "boy, it looks really dangerous, but the statistics say it's safe, so I guess I'll give it a try..."

From my own point of view, it think it looks like the kite-tube could have a lot of entertainment value. Certainly I recognize its potential danger, but I do a lot of potentially dangerous things as hobbies. Rather than assuming it's just too dangerous from reading a news report or watching a video, I want to assess it myself and determine how manageable the risk is. I may find, as others have already pronounced, that the risk/reward ratio is too high. If I do, I promise I'll post it here, along with a "Wego Kite tube For Sale" notice.