PDA

View Full Version : Crazy parents in kidís sports?

RexDog1
04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
My son has been racing BMX for About 6 Months now
I am having a hard time with the way the parents are acting
In this sport, Yelling at there kids to do better
The stereotypical Little League parent yelling at there kid
How do you deal with them?
There was one mom yelling at her son to do better :eek:
And pointing at my son and saying ďyou can beat him what are you doing out thereĒ
How do you handle crazy parents in kidís sports? :confused:

They are only 6 year olds

Ric
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
My son has been racing BMX for About 6 Months now
I am having a hard time with the way the parents are acting
In this sport, Yelling at there kids to do better
The stereotypical Little League parent yelling at there kid
How do you deal with them?
There was one mom yelling at her son to do better :eek:
And pointing at my son and saying ďyou can beat him what are you doing out thereĒ

They are only 6 year olds
Rex, time to give mommy what she needs.......

:eek: did I just say that out loud?

peason
04-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow -tough one. I guess the only way to handle it, is be a good example for your son. Let him know that what matters most is that he has fun and that he is going get out of what he puts into it.

#47of100TeamMC
04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I can imagine it would be hard to restrain yourself from saying to her what you are really feeling. But I'll 2nd that of the previous post and be a good example. But ya know if it gets bad enough and continues a guy almost can't just sit there and take it. She's probably just trying to live vicariously through her son cuz she was a deadbeat nothing of an athlete when she was younger. Either way not a good situation.

I know! say to her, "Hey, are you here because you want your son to race or because he wants to race? Isn't this supposed to be FUN, do you think he is having fun when he hears you yelling at him? HE's 6 YEARS OLD!" :mad:

If that doesn't work, tell your son to start on the opposite end of the gate than her son, cuz he's probably going to try and knock him down:eek:

MasterCrafting
04-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I hate parents like that, some dad brought his kids into our climbing gym the other day and started yelling at them to climb better and whatnot...after about 2 hours of this he had the one kid in tears. 6 or 7 climber went over and confronted him it was wierd

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-28-2006, 12:07 PM

THAT is a good question!

tex
04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
When I was 13 or 14 I was playing summer league ball on a lousy team. We were getting killed and I was playing catcher. The pitcher was throwing everything in the dirt and killing me. A large mother killing a lawn chair was sitting behind home plate and was mouthing about my pitcher and team. I finally took my mask off and walked to the fence and announced that if she thought she could do any better, then she should get off her fat ars and climb the fence. She mouthed that I was a poor sport and I shot back that she was a poor spectator. I expected a beat down by mom and dad afterwards. They could not do it because all the parents started slapping me with high 5's after the game.

Set a good example for your kid and explain that those parents are just flat CRAZY!

04-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Wanna know my real thoughts? I say that the referee, umpire, or whatever official is regulating the game gets a cattle prod, ya know one of those elctrical shocking devices, and everytime a parent gets out of line and starts that crap, he zaps their @$$ with that electric shocker. see how crazy they get then. I really mean this, those parents are unstable. They need to be subdued. :twocents:

east tx skier
04-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I loved riding my BMX bike as a kid. I talked my parents into letting me race. I remember exactly what you are talking about being the case with just about all of the other parents there (mine just wanted me to have fun). I remember, at the age of 10 or so, thinking how ridiculous some of these adults were acting. I lost all interest in it as a result and took up water skiing.

Tom023
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
A couple of years ago at my son's baseball game, a really foul mouth, obnoxious mother decked out in biker gear really got to my son's team coach. He politely told her to shut up and let the kids play their game, which she responed with a one finger salute...real class act. My son's coach, standing by the dougout said to the opposing team's third base coach, "how would you like to be married to that?" To which he replied "I can't control her at home either!"

04-28-2006, 12:56 PM
My son's coach, standing by the dougout said to the opposing team's third base coach, "how would you like to be married to that?" To which he replied "I can't control her at home either!"
Oh thats gold!!! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 01:27 PM
I coach my sons baseball and football teams. The parents are terrible. I just try to teach their kids how act by leading by example.

Leroy
04-28-2006, 02:44 PM
If you can't take the heat in the kitchen get out!!!!

JK, everything is so competitive these days. We are mostly a soccer family so I love at the young levels all I hear the parents say is GET THE BALL and SCORE A GOAL. I'm on the board of directors for our soccer club and I see some goofy things, we are working hard on learning skills, sportsmanship (parents included) and kids only listen to the coach.

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
If you can't take the heat in the kitchen get out!!!!

Not quite sure what that comment means. My kids played soccer, the parents are a dream compared to other sports. Yelling 'get the ball and score a goal' is nothing.

At three of the football games last year, several parents of other teams were arrested for using extreme profanity and then coming onto the field to discipline their kids for missing tackles. I think some parents expect that their 6 year olds will be trying out for the NFL in a couple years.

I hate to see what the home life is like for some of these kids.

Tom023
04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I think Leroy's "JK" starting the next paragraph means "just kidding".

PointTaken
04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I think Leroy's "JK" starting the next paragraph means "just kidding".

Ohh. I need to get online more.

Leroy
04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes, the JK is just kidding! I'm on the friendly side of competitive, even though I certainly like to win.

There is the infamous "ride home" which can be nice for the kids or it can be mom and dad reliving every stupid mistake and why didn't you do this and that!

I'm sure it is like this in most areas, but everything is so competitive here. Soccer, basketball, swimming, football, baseball, theater, choir, etc. I play lunch league soccer and they offer training for 2-3 year old kids at the same time. They are dressed out in soccer shirt, the ball comes up to the waist on most of them, we call it the tiny tots and hot moms league....

LakePirate
05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Wanna know my real thoughts? I say that the referee, umpire, or whatever official is regulating the game gets a cattle prod, ya know one of those elctrical shocking devices, and everytime a parent gets out of line and starts that crap, he zaps their @$$ with that electric shocker. see how crazy they get then. I really mean this, those parents are unstable. They need to be subdued. :twocents:

You give me a cattle prod and I will start refereeing basketball and upmiring softball again.

T5_Steve
05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
If you want to see parents at their finest, go to a youth hockey game. :( I've coached my son's youth hockey teams for the past 7 years... I think this past year will have been my last. In one of our last games, we had a Ref instruct us, the coaches, that we needed to send a coach into the stands to remove one of our parents, who was flinging the F'en-hymer at one of the moms from the other team! :eek: This was PeeWee hockey (11~12 yr olds).

skitilldark
05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I loved riding my BMX bike as a kid. I talked my parents into letting me race. I remember exactly what you are talking about being the case with just about all of the other parents there (mine just wanted me to have fun). I remember, at the age of 10 or so, thinking how ridiculous some of these adults were acting. I lost all interest in it as a result and took up water skiing.

See? let that be a lesson. Stop riding and start skiing.

stumbledog
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
My 2 pennies: Parents are there for encouragement and the coach is there to coach. If there is any correction to be made to the way my child is playing on the filed, then it is the coach's responsibility to do so. I am only there to say nothing, or cheer for the team.

I can make any comments after the game in a one-on-one situation with my Daughter. But, she already knows everything, so I usually just keep my mouth shut.