PDA

View Full Version : Fake a lake question

Blair
04-27-2006, 11:06 PM
first time inboard boat owner (just brought her home) and we bought a fake a lake and want to fire the boat up in the driveway, we put the fake a lake onto this
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8148/easter2006109s1rz.jpg

just trying to make sure its the right one (06 - x-10)

and after tracing the lines im not sure it is but the only other one i can see is under one of the bunks

any hint or tips would be appreaciated

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Do you have integrated ballast? On the direct drives, typically the raw water intake is visible. On some of the vdrives, I've heard that is not the case. Without looking at it from the engine down, it's hard to say since I don't own the same kind of boat.

Blair
04-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Do you have integrated ballast? On the direct drives, typically the raw water intake is visible. On some of the vdrives, I've heard that is not the case. Without looking at it from the engine down, it's hard to say since I don't own the same kind of boat.

yes i do have intergrated balast... and when i trace the hose from that intake it goes to the block i was told was for the balast, when i trace the hose from the impeller it goes up to the intake that is farther forward and mostly covered by the bunk, i was looking on another thread and it seems like more than a few people have had to make something for the intake hose...

bigmac
04-27-2006, 11:27 PM
first time inboard boat owner (just brought her home) and we bought a fake a lake and want to fire the boat up in the driveway, we put the fake a lake onto this

just trying to make sure its the right one (06 - x-10)

and after tracing the lines im not sure it is but the only other one i can see is under one of the bunks

any hint or tips would be appreaciated

I believe that your X10 is the same as my 230VRS in that the raw water intake is totally blocked by one of the bunks. On my 230, the raw water intake is in front of the transmission, accessed from the center rear seat under the cooler. The picture you show above looks like it's behind the shaft exit on the left side, which I think is more likely to be a ballast intake.

I don't think Fake-a-Lake is possible to use on your boat. I suspect you're going to have to pull your raw water intake hose off the intake strainer from under the center rear seat and hook it directly up to a hose. The best way to trace your intake is to look for the 1.25 inch wire-reinforced intake hose where it comes out of the hull.

mplv
04-27-2006, 11:31 PM
put the fake a lake on that and turn your ballast on, if it fills then its for the ballast, or check the owners manual

JimN
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use a Fake-A-Lake. It's a lot easier to attach a hose to the oil cooler or raw water pump and hook it up to your garden hose. If you don't have good pressure, get a 10-20 gallon container and fill it before dropping a hose into that. A couple of hose clamps and a piece of clear vinyl hose from Home Depot or wherever, and you're in business. You also get to see if the raw water pump is pulling enough water or if the impeller needs to be replaced.

I tried using the plunger on a stick and it tended to not stay where I put it once the water turned on and squirted out around it. I was working on other people's boats and wasting time wasn't my job.

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Get a 5 gallon bucket and feed it with a hose. Remove the raw water intake hose from the hull and put it in the bucket. Crank it up and keep an eye on the water level. This works well with the direct drive. Not sure how the intake hose location is on the vdrive to make this practical.

Alteratively, you can stuff a garden hose into the intake hose hullside of the transmission cooler. Turn on the water and crank it up. A ball valve is helpful if you don't have someone to turn on the water for you.

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use a Fake-A-Lake. It's a lot easier to attach a hose to the oil cooler or raw water pump and hook it up to your garden hose. If you don't have good pressure, get a 10-20 gallon container and fill it before dropping a hose into that. A couple of hose clamps and a piece of clear vinyl hose from Home Depot or wherever, and you're in business. You also get to see if the raw water pump is pulling enough water or if the impeller needs to be replaced.

I tried using the plunger on a stick and it tended to not stay where I put it once the water turned on and squirted out around it. I was working on other people's boats and wasting time wasn't my job.

Agree with this 100%. I had no luck with fake-a-lake. Get the flexible, clear PVC hose with a 1.25" inner diameter from Lowe's. It's stiff enough so it won't collapse.

bigmac
04-28-2006, 12:13 AM
I pulled the intake hose off the through-hull fitting and attached this:

http://mccollister.info/fitting.jpg

It's pretty accessible, the alternative would be a similar fitting with a sleeve of short length of 1.25 inch hose and putting it on the raw water intake side of the raw water pump. I found the through-hull intake to be more easily accessible.

Blair
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM
thanks guys... after coming in and doing a search that seems to be what the general concensus is... and yeah i traced the hoce to the impeller and it is the one under the back seat... covered by a bunk... home depot here i come

Ric
04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
or get the flush pro deal from perko
It's the quickest and most fool proof if you do this alot.

it won't pull water from a bucket with this system though, so it's handiness is halfway wasted with it's inability to use for winterization.

east tx skier
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I pulled the intake hose off the through-hull fitting and attached this:

http://mccollister.info/fitting.jpg

It's pretty accessible, the alternative would be a similar fitting with a sleeve of short length of 1.25 inch hose and putting it on the raw water intake side of the raw water pump. I found the through-hull intake to be more easily accessible.

I've also got something similar to that. Basically, a piece of PVC with a T in the middle. The T has a .25" female threaded fitting for the hose. One of the other ends is plugged and the other is barbed. I had a scrap piece of raw water intake hose that I put on the barbed end with a hose clamp. I just remove the hose from the transmission cooler (hullside) and attach the hose hooked to my piece. Turn on the garden hose spigot and away we go.