PDA

View Full Version : Alternator and belt tension

6ballsisall
04-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Well just gone putting on the new Mando alternator. I am little bummed that I had to take of my shiny black painted OEM alternator w/ Chrome pulley for a steel one. Can you paint alternators with spray paint without having problems?

Second question, how tight should the belt be?

JimN
04-27-2006, 09:30 PM
You should be able to push the belt about 1/2" with moderate pressure.

If you paint it, use high temperature paint and plug any holes that would allow paint to get inside. Other than that, no problem. Couldn't they remove the chrome pulley and put it on the new alternator?

6ballsisall
04-27-2006, 10:03 PM
You should be able to push the belt about 1/2" with moderate pressure.

If you paint it, use high temperature paint and plug any holes that would allow paint to get inside. Other than that, no problem. Couldn't they remove the chrome pulley and put it on the new alternator?

Thanks Jim! I'll probably have them pull the chrome pulley or maybe just do it myself. Thinking I'll need an impact gun to take it off though right?

Footin
04-27-2006, 10:24 PM
You can try with a socket and breaker bar bar but yes, you will probably need and impact.

88 PS190
04-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Yea, just blast it w/ an impact or you'll have no way to hold the shaft w/o damaging.

For painting you can take tissue paper and insert it in all the holes an just be careful to make sure you take care of that, mask the electricals. and use light coats of high temp engine paints.

Don't loose the key that indexes the pulley to the alternator, or you'll be digging through a harware bin.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

i love this product, i don't have any good pictures of it in use, but some of the guys on a gun forum i go to often do.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128387&highlight=clear+blue

JimN
04-27-2006, 11:00 PM
You may need a pulley puller, too.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Don't bother with paint, take it apart and have it powdercoated. You want it to last right?

Footin
04-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey Jeff, did you take it out on Friday?

How did it work out?

6ballsisall
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
RUns like a champ and the battery stays charged!! All fixed!! Going to give her a good coat of wax today. One of these days I am going to pull that alternator and paint it all purty.

Footin
04-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear the problem is behind you. I can't help but think it was like that when you bought it. Oh well, even with fixin it, you got a great deal.