PDA

View Full Version : A new ski

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey guys and gals,
I know you will be able to help me out here. I am a first year MC owner and I have skiied on and off since I was 12. I was on a slalom at 13 a nice old wood ski. Man that was a great ride. Well anyway, I have tried to get up a handful of times behind a buddy's comp boat with no luck on a slalom nor have I ever gotten on a single, I have always dropped the second ski usually within the first 50 yards of getting up. I want to get up on one this season worse than ever now espically now that I have my own MC. My buddy offered me his old EP, but I feel that it is too small, he has a nice Conelly but I think it is above me aways. So here is where I need help, I would like to find a new/used ski to use and get up on one with. I am 28, I am 6'3" 235 pounds with my winter weight usually down to 225 during the summer and I have a wide foot size 13/14.(thinking XXL binding, toe plate rear?) I am strong just the beer catches up to me!;) hahha I don't want to spend a ton so I am willing to watch ebay but want to know what to look for on there. I also wouldn't want a shaped skiing do to the ribbing I would take!

Ok, enough rambling HELP!:D

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 11:42 AM
69" HO O'brien Graphite Turbo Competition slalom ski

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-HO-Obrien-Graphite-Turbo-Competition-slalom-ski_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50436QQitemZ8059180 254QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I could pick this one up, what do you think?

ski_king
04-27-2006, 12:11 PM
What ever ski you choose it may be worthwile to pick up an easy up handle (http://cgi.ebay.com/New15-Easy-UP-Slalom-Waterski-ski-Handle-4-loop-Rope-B_W0QQitemZ7237173052QQcategoryZ23807QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem). They do help a lot in learning to get up on one.

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM
My friend is about your size and was about your ability 2 years ago. He got himself an H.O. Charger back then and still loves it. He plan on trying the slalom course with it this summer. I think this kind of ski would be great for you because of its wide shape it is easy to get up and with the double concave tunnel under, it will allow you to progess fast and keep it a few years.
go see it there: http://www.hosports.com/06_web/06_test.html
Don't go for the Magnum, it is realy BIG.
I am sure you can find a decent used charger or similar on the net or if you contact MYMC or JIM@BAWS . I did not find any on e-bay for the moment.

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 01:11 PM
What ever ski you choose it may be worthwile to pick up an easy up handle (http://cgi.ebay.com/New15-Easy-UP-Slalom-Waterski-ski-Handle-4-loop-Rope-B_W0QQitemZ7237173052QQcategoryZ23807QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem). They do help a lot in learning to get up on one.

Thanks for the advice looks like it might help some.

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
My friend is about your size and was about your ability 2 years ago. He got himself an H.O. Charger back then and still loves it. He plan on trying the slalom course with it this summer. I think this kind of ski would be great for you because of its wide shape it is easy to get up and with the double concave tunnel under, it will allow you to progess fast and keep it a few years.
go see it there: http://www.hosports.com/06_web/06_test.html
I am sure you can find a decent used charger or similar on the net or if you contact MYMC or JIM@BAWS . I did not find any on e-bay for the moment.

I will keep my eye on ebay. What is an acceptable used price. Do you agree with the wrap front binding and reat toe in XXL? What about a length?

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I have no idea about what is a good used price. I used ski can be as good as a new one because their is almost no wear on them. It is not like alpine skis that loose their stifness after 1 or 2 seasons only.
Because of the wide shape, a 68" or 69" should be plenty for you. My friend wears size 13 shoes and has Obrien Bios XXL bindings on his HO Charger. They are very tight for him but acceptable. Do not go less than XXL with Obrien bindings. I don't know about HO sizing.

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I have no idea about what is a good used price. I used ski can be as good as a new one because their is almost no wear on them. It is not like alpine skis that loose their stifness after 1 or 2 seasons only.
Because of the wide shape, a 68" or 69" should be plenty for you. My friend wears size 13 shoes and has Obrien Bios XXL bindings on his HO Charger. They are very tight for him but acceptable. Do not go less than XXL with Obrien bindings. I don't know about HO sizing.

Thanks for the info! it is much appreciated! :toast:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-27-2006, 02:08 PM
HO Magnum 71, HO Charger 69 , or an HO Triumph 71" should allow you to deep water start on them. THe Try Wiley double boot bindings, they have bigger sizes for your feet. THe chargers/magnum are more intermediate style skis that you cant push as hard, the Triumph will allow you to give it a bit more, easier cuts, better performance. I have a 69" Triumph and its a very nice smooth ski. I dont course ski at all. I am a recreational free skier that likes to push it as much as I can and keep progressing my skills, so the Triumph and Vengeance were good choices for me. my buddy is about the same size as you and his wife got him a 71" Triumph for Christmas last year.....he is really looking forward to skiing it. I am really happy with my HO skis, but remember thats just MY personal preference. I am just giving you my 2 cents.

If your an Obrien fan, you could go with a 69" Synchro. they are wider and a bit better for bigger skiers.

I was in the same boat here last year, and the fine folks here helped me pick a ski.
Good luck, and let us know what you think and decide. :)

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 02:18 PM
So finally I chat with the great one UMP. Being just a troll you would probably never ski with me. :) Do you ever get down south of Lansing. Or do you lose your bridge pass if caught south of Cadillac?? Thanks for the advice it is tough having both big feet and being a big guy! I am not huge just gifted! hahahaha I am thinking shoe boxes and duct tape for bindings!

Kell
04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
HO Magnum 71, HO Charger 69 , or an HO Triumph 71" should allow you to deep water start on them.

I agree, I was in this situation three years ago. For fathers day, my wife bought me the HO Magnum 71" (we didn't own a boat then), and the day she gave it to me......my response was "what a great gift honey, is the boat to tow my large arse out of the water in the driveway?" :D Needless to say, not more than 4 weeks later we bought our first MC, a 99 Maristar 210 VRS. That was the best day, as our lives changed completely. So much family time on the water now, I wouldn't change it for anything.

So, with respect to the Magnum, I really like it. I'm an intermediate skier at 6'4" 250lbs and I don't have any problems doing deep water starts, although I'm the old school and don't keep both feet in the bindings, I drag one leg. Hard to correct old habits. The Magnum is a very stable ski and I have not hit any limitations yet. Granted, I'm not dropping any elbows to the water on my cuts, but I do try to get agressive and the Magnum fairs great. This is just my two cents though. Try to demo as many skies as you can, this will help your decision process together will all the great advice on this board.

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
HO Magnum 71, HO Charger 69 , or an HO Triumph 71" should allow you to deep water start on them. THe Try Wiley double boot bindings, they have bigger sizes for your feet. THe chargers/magnum are more intermediate style skis that you cant push as hard, the Triumph will allow you to give it a bit more, easier cuts, better performance. I have a 69" Triumph and its a very nice smooth ski. I dont course ski at all. I am a recreational free skier that likes to push it as much as I can and keep progressing my skills, so the Triumph and Vengeance were good choices for me. my buddy is about the same size as you and his wife got him a 71" Triumph for Christmas last year.....he is really looking forward to skiing it. I am really happy with my HO skis, but remember thats just MY personal preference. I am just giving you my 2 cents.

If your an Obrien fan, you could go with a 69" Synchro. they are wider and a bit better for bigger skiers.

I was in the same boat here last year, and the fine folks here helped me pick a ski.
Good luck, and let us know what you think and decide. :)
HO Vengence or Triumph are great skis and defenately more performant than the Charger but also probably harder to find and more expensive. Don't hesitate to get a Charger (or maybe Magnum) if you find a good used one. I tried the HO Charger myself in the course last year at 30MPH (always 15'off) and had no problems with it. Although HO classified it as an intermediate ski, you can use it in a slalom course (probably not at 34MPH because of its width).
These shaped skis are great to progess fast into serious slalom ski and will last you a few years before you outperform them.

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 03:36 PM
[/quote]So, with respect to the Magnum, I really like it. I'm an intermediate skier at 6'4" 250lbs and I don't have any problems doing deep water starts, although I'm the old school and don't keep both feet in the bindings, I drag one leg. Hard to correct old habits. The Magnum is a very stable ski and I have not hit any limitations yet. Granted, I'm not dropping any elbows to the water on my cuts, but I do try to get agressive and the Magnum fairs great. This is just my two cents though. Try to demo as many skies as you can, this will help your decision process together will all the great advice on this board.[/QUOTE]

Any advice on bindings?

1984StarsandStripes
04-27-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't ski the course but I do ski fast 34-36 I dont like that boggged down soft water! hhaha Is there anything in between that could get me up in speed? or will they be fine as long as I don't go coursing at that speed?

HO Vengence or Triumph are great skis and defenately more performant than the Charger but also probably harder to find and more expensive. Don't hesitate to get a Charger (or maybe Magnum) if you find a good used one. I tried the HO Charger myself in the course last year at 30MPH (always 15'off) and had no problems with it. Although HO classified it as an intermediate ski, you can use it in a slalom course (probably not at 34MPH because of its width).
These shaped skis are great to progess fast into serious slalom ski and will last you a few years before you outperform them.

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
The Charger and Magnum are wider than the Vengence and Triumph and have a double concave buttom. Although I have not tried it at these speed, I would fear that the width could make them jumpy when crossing the wake. HO web site does rate the ski for speed of 34-36 so it might be OK.
Ask Kell to try his Magnum for you at 36MPH.
Otherwise I can always try it myself in a few weeks when my boat will be in the water. I have easy access to my friend Charger.

bkhallpass
04-27-2006, 04:54 PM

I'd respectfully disagree Beaven. If 1984 is going to buy the Burner/Charger/Magnum line from HO, then the Magnum is the
right selection for his size and weight.

I'm almost exactly the same size as 1984 (minus the big feet).
I've been skiing 30 years, but I bought the Magnum three or
four years ago when I was having some back and hand issues.

It's very easy to get up, has reasonable performance, and is a lot of fun to ride. I retired it when my hands improved, but its still fun. I'd sell it to 1984 but I already let it go.

1984, if you are looking in the used market be sure you are looking for the right item. HO (or maybe it was one of the other manufacturers) made another ski called the Magnum back in the day. This older Magnum would not be what you want. BKH

04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
So finally I chat with the great one UMP. Being just a troll you would probably never ski with me. Do you ever get down south of Lansing. Or do you lose your bridge pass if caught south of Cadillac?? Thanks for the advice it is tough having both big feet and being a big guy! I am not huge just gifted! hahahaha I am thinking shoe boxes and duct tape for bindings!
Me...Great? HA!! I am just a super hero with over active brain.
If you dont look out, I might start a poll about you!! ;)

I dont discriminate dude, your trolls are fine with me :) Hey, If I discriminated against everyone that was south of me, I would only be able to chat with Andre' and Glacey here! Its all good dude. If I do get down near the Motown area, i will give you a holla and we will ski :toast: Same to you, if you get up here in the frozen tundra, holla at me, I will tow your arse all over lake superior! well, at todays gas prices, maybe just HALF of lake superior.....

as far as skis go, Everyone here has laid down some pretty sound advice for you. If your looking for a deal on a HO give Darren Wiley a call at www.wileyski.com and he may have a good deal on a left over 2005 or blem model for you. I bought a left over Triumph and my buddy got a blem Triumph and we both got sweet deals on them. Or you can cruise ebay for one. the upside to dealing with Darren is, you can tell him your feet size, and he will hook you up with the right bindings. He has done well for me and my friends. good advice, good prices, good service. Also, talk with him, tell him your ski style, your weight, and foot size, he will tell you which of those skis would suit you best.

Check these out

http://www.wileyski.com/waterskis/skis-688.htm

http://www.wileyski.com/waterskis/skis-689.htm

http://www.wileyski.com/waterskis/skis-684.htm

see if he has any good deals on now.....

Hope this helps!!! :)

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Sorry about this mistake. bkhallpass, it looks like you are right as HO is listing the Magnum as the right ski for his weigh.
My thinking about the Magnum comes from when my friend shopped for his ski. He is 6'5" and 220lb and the pro at the store (fellow TT member) guided him toward the Charger Vs the Magnum. He is still happy with his decision to go with the Charger.

88 PS190
04-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I've never gone north of the bridge... heard the mosquitos will eat you during the summer.

04-27-2006, 06:10 PM
I've never gone north of the bridge... heard the mosquitos will eat you during the summer.
Thats nonsense! :rolleyes: That UP mosquito business is blown out of proportion, If the mosquitos get to be too much here, we just shoot them. ;)

88 PS190
04-27-2006, 06:16 PM
So what do you use UMP? a 20 guage, or do you feel that a 12 guage 3.5" magnum is required to make sure they don't keep twitching?

04-27-2006, 06:26 PM
So what do you use UMP? a 20 guage, or do you feel that a 12 guage 3.5" magnum is required to make sure they don't keep twitching?
I dont **** around 88, for the Mosquitos here, I have hand grenades. Big ones filled with RAID. RAID makes them special for da Yoopers. They mess the he11 out of the windows on my house, and arent too popular with the neighbors, but I dont get venomous mosquito bites. The mosquitos here have been reported to carry away small dogs :eek: the dont mess with cats though, cats can hold their own. :popcorn:

1984StarsandStripes
05-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Do you guys have to wear barefoot suits to ski incase you run into one of those skeeters?:eek:

I dont **** around 88, for the Mosquitos here, I have hand grenades. Big ones filled with RAID. RAID makes them special for da Yoopers. They mess the he11 out of the windows on my house, and arent too popular with the neighbors, but I dont get venomous mosquito bites. The mosquitos here have been reported to carry away small dogs :eek: the dont mess with cats though, cats can hold their own. :popcorn:

05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Do you guys have to wear barefoot suits to ski incase you run into one of those skeeters?:eek:No, we wear body armour, flak jackets, etc... These skeeters are bad mofos!
YOu can never be too careful! :noface: These skeeters are serious my friend, very serious.....

1984StarsandStripes
05-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Good thing you have a Mastercraft to pull you up with all that armour on!:cool:

No, we wear body armour, flak jackets, etc... These skeeters are bad mofos!
YOu can never be too careful! :noface: These skeeters are serious my friend, very serious.....

05-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Good thing you have a Mastercraft to pull you up with all that armour on!:cool:
Oh its light by weight, we run all Kevlar anit skeeter gear here, we Yoopers are up on all da latest skeeter teKnoloGee!!!! :)