PDA

View Full Version : New Boat to me...let the list of to-do's begin

dpolen
04-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi guys, first post here, have seen how helpful you have been to others so I hope someone can help me out. Just picked up a new to me '98 Maristar 225...can't wait to get it in the water. Can anyone give me guidance on two things...

1. Any idea on what it will cost me to have the interior carpet replaced by an upholstery shop...going to take it for a quote on Friday afternoon, don't want to get completely shocked by a quote? The previous owner trashed the carpet to the point its barely hanging on in a couple of very noticeable places. I'm sure this would be an easy project, but I simply don't have the bandwidth right now to do it right now...but it has to be done before I can say this is my boat...I'm just too damn anal.

2. Any ideas on where I can find cheap replacement parts for the Morse throttle control? Boat is missing the safety switch (plastic cup going up to the throttle knob). When I stopped by the MC dealer, it was going to be over $200...just trying to save a few dollars while I try to sell my previous boat.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Footin
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the board, our resident pro (Eastie) should be along shortly!

I got nutin for cost ideas??????

skitilldark
04-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't have any great advice, but wanted to welcome you to the board. Very nice boat. I'm sure you'll get some good times out of that!

jake
04-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the board Doug...nice boat!

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Welcome. The carpet is going to be pricey. Brad had his done in a 190 and I remember it being like $800 or something. I could be wrong. Gotta be more for the open bow.

Do an ebay search for "Mastercraft" I've seen morse throttle controls on there a lot lately.

Sodar
04-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Eastie is right on his pricing, however re-carpeting a 190 is more difficult than your MariStar because the carpet wraps up the side of the hull and therefore the interior must be removed to gain access to that. I would imagine that yours will be about the same price, just because of the size of your boat. Another option would be to keep your carpet and have snap-in carpet made to go over it. I have a friend who just bought an Air Nautique and he had snap-in carpet made to protect his new carpet below. When the snap in carpet is installed, you can not tell that it is not the real boat carpet. Good Luck, Welcome and Have Fun!!

corey
04-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I second the snap in carpet, it'll make cleaning a breeze and if you know you're going out with a bunch of newbies you can snap it out and let them get sand on the old stuff.

Upholstry shops are going to be BUSY right now, I bet you'll be more shocked by the wait than by the price.

dpolen
04-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input...will post the quote tomorrow...I've already been told that it will be at least three weeks before anything could be done....but I could at least use the boat until then...I'm just anxious to get it looking as nice as it can. I have a feeling I'm going to end up doing this one myself as much as I don't want to spend my time on a project like this.

Thanks for the idea about the snap in...I'll ask for a 2nd quote to do that...that would be a sweet option as my Chris Craft had it in it...made it super easy to clean things at the end of the day.

tex
04-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Welcome Doug,

My first order of business on a to do list is...Go Skiing!

BuoyChaser
04-28-2006, 11:51 AM
snap-in carpet made to go over it
where do you buy snap-in carpet, do you have to go with a local carpet person???love to get some carpet for the new '05 ProStar 197...i would hate to put in snaps, but maybe could use velcro or similiar to be a mechanical attachment...

dpolen
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Tex..good point, if the rain stops at all this weekend, I'm ready to jump in no matter how cold the water is. Time to de-winterize...I just want to drive the thing!

peason
04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I hear ya, Welcome to the board. I have yet to get my boat in the water, this weekend would work, but it looks like 3 days of rain!

Smitty
04-29-2006, 12:06 PM
First comment... Nice Avatar. I usually save that for the Bucket game. Secondly... Nice boat. I have a 2001 230 and I love the thing. My wife often gets jealous of the time I spend with it instead of her. Third... check out www.skidim.com for parts. They are usually affordable, but better yet, they will make sure you get exactly what you need and will even help you find cheaper alternatives if they can.

Good luck!!

TMCNo1
04-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome dpolen, I don't think you realize yet, what you've got yourself into coming on TT, but you'll get over it after the initiation ceremony is completed!

dpolen
05-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Just thought I would post the quote that I got today for snap in carpet for my 225 Maristar. I was actually shocked that it is only going to cost me $450 to have snap-in carpet made for the boat...I ordered a simple berber carpet that is a bit lighter than the original interior, but should look great once I'm done. I could have upgraded to the premium carpet for another $150, but I figured the medium grade I chose would do the trick. Will post some pics once I get everything installed in 2-3 weeks. Thanks to all for the suggestion with the snap-in...think it will be a great end result.