PDA

View Full Version : Stereo..Bandpass anyone??

Britt
04-26-2006, 07:55 PM
WHo on here has a sub mounted in a bandpass box and if you do how does it sound. Also, anyone have a BP box for a single 12 inch sub they have for sale? Strongly thinking of going this route.

JimN
04-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Bandpass boxes are good if you need one but they aren't very efficient. Which sub do you have?

If you want a small box and tight bass, think about the JL or Kicker SoloBaric woofers. I don't know what you listen to, but the music will dictate the woofer needed. Classical doesn't need booming bass and rap does but the JL and SoloBaric work very well for this. If you listen to more rock, tighter is better but there are quite a few tricks to get it to sound the way you want.

zberger
04-26-2006, 10:28 PM
stick with a sealed box.. or a ported one..

bandpass isn't all that great IMO.

Britt
04-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Well....I have a Fosgate 12 inch p3 sub. It hits like crazy. I listen mostly to rap if that answers the question. I mean I have a BF200 and was going to mount this thing in the rear under the back sun deck. So at any rate, I figured no matter what its still not going to hit like it would if it were in a car. I figure the bandpass will give a fairly solid hit plus the low powerful bass I want. What do you think?

kalanic
04-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I can tell you that the 10" subs I have hit pretty hard. I listen to everything from rap to heavy metal. All sound pretty good. I honestly only went with bandpass because of the location of the subs & to protect them completely being covered by plexiglass.

JimN
04-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Britt- I think Rockford-Fosgate still has a technical line and will answer questions on the phone or online. They have done a lot of testing in all kinds of boxes and will be able to let you know which would work best in this application.

If you think about a bandpass box, it's basically a sealeded box firing into a vented box and the only path for the sound to come out is through a hole that's a lot smaller than the driver being used. A sealed box has a much wider bandwidth than a vented box because a vent is really only capable of passing one frequency well, then the response falls off rapidly above/below the tuning frequency. Once you hear vent noise, it's due to excessive air velocity going past the vent opening- just like blowing across a Coke bottle. That only does one frequency and is the same principle.

You'll have more output from a vented box but if it's too small, the power handling suffers. To protect the woofer cone, you can get grills that are strong enough but don't block much sound.