PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Ignition Switch '89 PS 190

tph
04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to figure out the correct wiring for this switch in combination with the "kill" switch and the ignition breaker on the dash panel. It appears many hands have already preceded me. (It's a mess)

The Ignition switch has 4 poles BAT IGN ACC ST and the kill switch has two wires.

Currently:
- One wire of the "kill" switch wires goes up to the Tachometer. The other one goes to the IGN pole of the switch.
- The BAT pole is connected to the protected side of the ignition breaker.
- The ST pole is connected to a Yellow/Red stripe wire that goes into the harness.
- The ACC pole is connected to the hot lead on the ammeter.
- There is a dangling wire coming from the unprotected side of the ignition breaker.

Any help in getting this all sorted out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Here's a bump.
Are you having problems with ignition/key/kill switch not working?

JimN
04-30-2006, 02:49 PM
tph- look on the back of the tach and see if there's an ign post. The tach signal comes from the coil.

Usually it goes:

Battery supply lead (from the boat harness) >ignition breaker>ammeter on the battery lead >ignition switch. You don't want to have any devices unprotected against a short.

IGN output may have another lead to the coil + during cranking

ST lead is OK- that goes to the starter solenoid.

ACC pole >safety switch > gauges >harness going to the coil

The ammeter is on the battery lead so you can see if the alternator is charging the battery and if it's only on the accessory lead, won't show the whole load. If it's on the battery lead, it's reflect the accessory load anyway.

Doug- don't you have the same boat? Little help here?

Kevin 89MC
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
I have the same boat, but the prev owner removed my kill switch, so pics of mine would probably not help. TPH, I can take a few pics of mine if you want though.
Kevin

tph
05-01-2006, 03:45 PM
This board is great! Thanks everyone for the help! Including the bump.
I am going to try to sort it out using Jimn's details, but may ask you for a picture Kevin. Thanks again!

The weather's fantastic..I've got to get this thing in the water!

JimN
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Install the kill switch in the purple line going to the motor. If the Coast Guard inspects the boat, they'll make you leave until it's connected, probably with a fine.

To revise what I posted before, there will be a lead going to the accessory switches and this goes on the ACC terminal. The purple ignition lead goes to the IGN terminal.

tph
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Install the kill switch in the purple line going to the motor. If the Coast Guard inspects the boat, they'll make you leave until it's connected, probably with a fine.

To revise what I posted before, there will be a lead going to the accessory switches and this goes on the ACC terminal. The purple ignition lead goes to the IGN terminal.

Thanks! Hopefully, this will be enough info to get it right. Good point about the Coast Guard. I've had an unsuccessful inspection before. :(

JimN
05-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, the CG mandated the safety switch in the first place and it's definitely one of the things they would look at.