PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge

FLRunner
04-25-2006, 10:34 PM
The gas gauge on my 92 ProStar is no longer accurate. A couple tanks ago it was working showing half tank and I filled up adding 15 gallons (with 30 gallon tank that's accurate). The last time I went out I stopped to get gas with the gauge at half full and I only added about 3 gallons. Now with the tank full the gauge shows it is 2/3 full. All other gauges are functioning correctly, any suggestions on where to start to identify the issue?

jsonova99
04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
The gas gauge on my 92 ProStar is no longer accurate. A couple tanks ago it was working showing half tank and I filled up adding 15 gallons (with 30 gallon tank that's accurate). The last time I went out I stopped to get gas with the gauge at half full and I only added about 3 gallons. Now with the tank full the gauge shows it is 2/3 full. All other gauges are functioning correctly, any suggestions on where to start to identify the issue?

try pulling it out of the tank. If I remember correctly there is a float with magnets on it, and after a while the magnets can come off of the float and actually stick themselves to the circuit board in the pickup. Mine had this problem, but I found that it was shot anyway. There is a more modern design that is completely electronic for about a $100. I decided to go this route. I bought mine from Rambo Marine, but I'm sure Skidim probably sells them as well. Hope this helps

michael freeman
04-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Do you know what they are using in the new boats. I have a 2006 and it was reading a quarter tank left but was only down a half at the pump.

The boat is brand new, do they need to adjust it or is this just what to expect in a boat?

jsonova99
04-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Do you know what they are using in the new boats. I have a 2006 and it was reading a quarter tank left but was only down a half at the pump.

The boat is brand new, do they need to adjust it or is this just what to expect in a boat?

No idea what the new boats have in them. The newer version for the old boats can be calibrated. If yours atleast works, then maybe that's all it needs. ON the older boats, the guage basically pins itself because the sending unit craps out altogether.