PDA

View Full Version : Used boat pricing....

JohnnyB
04-25-2006, 10:16 PM
OK, my wife has given me the go-ahead to shop for a newer boat as long as it's an open bow. I demo'd one boat last night and will try another one on Saturday......wondering about pricing on these.....I don't think NADA is very accurate..searched flip sell and ski-it-again and boattrader.com for comparisons without much luck..where else can I look to come up with valuation?

Here's the scoop:

Boat #1:
2004 Prostar197
245 hours
310hp engine
no extras
Skied behind it and drove it last night.....awesome!!!!

Boat #2: (OK, I'm afraid to even say this but here goes....)
2004 Malibu Response LX
349 hours
340HP Monsoon Engine
PPass, heater, shower, CD Player w/ 4 speakers, wake wedge

Bank and insurance are all set to go......wife approves of both....

Thoughts on fair pricing????

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 10:23 PM
What didn't you like about NADA's quote? I sure like the 197. :)

SKI*MC
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
well go fingure you will get a lot more out of the Malibu for the same price as a stipped MC. But there are a lot of qualities that go into MasterCraft that makes it worth the price. Such as, hand laid fiberglass, moneque contruction, backing plats on EVERYTHING, standard fuel injection on every engine, ballast integraded into the hull. (Except the 2 back tanks on the X-1)
Malibu's, not claim to have 100% handlaid fiberglass, but i don't believe it at all. They don't use backing plates on the little things, or even some of the big things. I have heard numberous stories when the wedge has been ripped right off the transom, and in some cases up to 3 times on the same boat. Even Malibu's Gerry Nunn has ripped a wedge off. No moneque construction either, well, actually they claim to inject the stringers with foam at night, so no one has actually seen the process. :( But when it comes right down to it. VALUE! MasterCrafts hold their value better then any ski boat on the market, anyone on here will back the opinion.

JohnnyB
04-25-2006, 10:34 PM
My goal wasn't to get lambasted because I'm looking at a bu so much as to get some resources for valuation. I'm leaning toward the MC for the very reasons you say.....I'll just be adding the extras piece-by-piece over the next few years. The bu is pricing out about 5K less, but your right, over the long haul, the MC will hold its value.

erkoehler
04-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Edited to stay out of trouble.

LakePirate
04-25-2006, 10:41 PM
I talked to a 'bu owner and he raised a good point that you have found as well

MC - 310 HP
Bu - 340 HP

and it is 5 grand less. That is a tough point to argue.

Not saying that I wouldn't argue it, but it is a good point.

JohnnyB
04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Been arguing with myself......all the voices in my head do not agree at this time :eek:

6ballsisall
04-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Congrats on the nod from the CFO to upgrade!! THis is a little older than you are looking at but a smokin deal and a very clean boat

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=815

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Just so it gets said up front and it's not said I didn't do my job, let's not cross the line into promoting competing brands on MC's website. It's a very fine line to be walked and often times I don't understand what's okay in their book and what's not. Please just keep this in mind when you're posting.

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Congrats on the nod from the CFO to upgrade!! THis is a little older than you are looking at but a smokin deal and a very clean boat

WOW! And #69 t'boot. :guitar:

That's an '02 by the way. I really like the TBI with Pslot combo.

LakePirate
04-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Mr. Junior Senator from Wisconsin, I have never been a supporter, sympathiser or paid any dues to the communist party.

JohnnyB
04-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Just so it gets said up front and it's not said I didn't do my job, let's not cross the line into promoting competing brands on MC's website. It's a very fine line to be walked and often times I don't understand what's okay in their book and what's not. Please just keep this in mind when you're posting.

Not promoting....didn't even ask for a comparison between brands.....just looking for a resource for valuation.....I new I'd leave myself open to some chastising by mentioning the "B" word :eek:

6ballsisall
04-25-2006, 10:59 PM
WOW! And #69 t'boot. :guitar:

That's an '02 by the way. I really like the TBI with Pslot combo.

I talked to this guy last year bout this boat. It is Cherry and he's a heckuva nice guy. It was just a little out of my comfort zone for spending. Its a great boat

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Not promoting....didn't even ask for a comparison between brands.....just looking for a resource for valuation.....I new I'd leave myself open to some chastising by mentioning the "B" word :eek:

I know, man. And I'm not chastising you. You won't catch me turning down sets behind anything. My post wasn't directed at you.

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Johnny, to get back to the question, one thing to consider about that Malibu is that it is a Response LX as opposed to their bread and butter LXi. I'm not saying it's not a good boat or anything, but the LXi is the open bow boat that's typically lined up with the 197. I thought (and I could be wrong) that they stopped offering the LX.

erkoehler
04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Johnny, to get back to the question, one thing to consider about that Malibu is that it is a Response LX as opposed to their bread and butter LXi. I'm not saying it's not a good boat or anything, but the LXi is the open bow boat that's typically lined up with the 197. I thought (and I could be wrong) that they stopped offering the LX.

We had a new LX as of last year on the ski team, but maybe they discontinued it for this.

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Erk, it may have just been rumors. They may be special order only at this point, but I'm not any kind of authority on that stuff. I've skied behind an 02 LX open bow. It had a walk-over to the bow and pretty limited seating up front compared to the 197. Just not apples to apples.

When it boils down to it, it's no secret that Bus are less expensive than MCs though. But I just keep finding myself clicking on that link jrandol posted. Is that TT 197 really $25k? Wow!

/edit. They do still produce it. Bad info on my part.

6ballsisall
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I've skied behind an 02 LX open bow. It had a walk over windshield and pretty limited seating up front compared to the 197. When it boils down to it, it's no secret that Bus are less expensive than MCs.

I just keep finding myself clicking on that link jrandol posted. Is that TT 197 really $25k? Wow!

Thats the right price. It was priced a little higher this time last year and when I saw it now I couldn't believe it didnt sell. Easty, buy my boat so I can buy that one!! :D

erkoehler
04-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Erk, it may have just been rumors. They may be special order only at this point, but I'm not any kind of authority on that stuff. I've skied behind an 02 LX open bow. It had a walk-over to the bow and pretty limited seating up front compared to the 197. Just not apples to apples.

When it boils down to it, it's no secret that Bus are less expensive than MCs though. But I just keep finding myself clicking on that link jrandol posted. Is that TT 197 really $25k? Wow!

Yeah, me too....that is a HOT boat:)

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Thats the right price. It was priced a little higher this time last year and when I saw it now I couldn't believe it didnt sell. Easty, buy my boat so I can buy that one!! :D

Sorry, you and I are stuck with our awesome boats.

LakePirate
04-25-2006, 11:26 PM
If it was anything other than red.....

*Note* I currently have a red/maroon boat. Don't like red, just me. It looks great, just clashes with orange.

erkoehler
04-25-2006, 11:27 PM
JohnnyB, clean out your PM's.

JohnnyB
04-26-2006, 08:30 AM
PMs cleaned....had to cleanout sent items....

captain planet
04-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Johnny, I have to say I could go on and on about the "comparison" between a malibu and a MC (even though it really isn't a comparison), but since your asking if the 5K is worth it, do the following the next time you look at the boats again.

1. Find out if the "hydrophonic dampening box" is leaking on the malibu yet
2. Look at how the ski pylon is attached to the malibu and then look at how the pylon is attached in the MC.
3. Lift all the cushions and look in all the storage areas and compare the fit and finish between the two boats.

After you do these few things, I'm sure you'll see the difference. Especially when you see the pylon! :eek:

Capt. Planet

Kevin 89MC
04-26-2006, 03:33 PM

Oooooh, if I only had $25k in my pocket. That boat is perfect for me :worthy: excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard . . .

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
You won't catch me turning down sets behind anything. :eek: You would even ski behind a Bayliner Eastie?? :noface:

;)

east tx skier
04-26-2006, 04:31 PM
That's what the 7' Maherajah is for.

Datdude
04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know how many hours on the 2002 TT? I am guessing that it is up there in hours since they were not mentioned in the ad(and it appears to be a school boat). I have found in my boat searches that when it does not have hours listed and the price is good, the hours are high. :confused:

erkoehler
04-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know how many hours on the 2002 TT? I am guessing that it is up there in hours since they were not mentioned in the ad(and it appears to be a school boat). I have found in my boat searches that when it does not have hours listed and the price is good, the hours are high. :confused:

600 hours on the boat.

6ballsisall
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM

I contemplated buying this boat last year and talked on the phone with the owner several times. I backed out as it was just over my comfort zone on what I wanted to write a check for. IIRC, it had less than 400 hours then.

erkoehler
04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
There is a link on the bottom of the TMC ad....http://www.staff.missouristate.edu/s/skf980t/2002_mastercraft.htm

States 600 hours :)

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Shoot, 600 hours. That's barely broken in!

stumbledog
04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I talked to a 'bu owner and he raised a good point that you have found as well

MC - 310 HP
Bu - 340 HP

and it is 5 grand less. That is a tough point to argue.

Not saying that I wouldn't argue it, but it is a good point.

And why do you need 340 HP?

erkoehler
04-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Shoot, 600 hours. That's barely broken in!

I'm watching that one

:)

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Given your timetable and his asking price, I'm afraid you'll be watching it sold to someone else.

erkoehler
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Given your timetable and his asking price, I'm afraid you'll be watching it sold to someone else.

Well, it's been for sale for over a year, but your right and I'm not holding my breath. I would really like the MCX engine anyway:)

east tx skier
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I think that's a new price though.

Personally, I would prefer the torquey TBI with the power slot to the MCX. But I know you want to barefoot.

rodltg2
04-27-2006, 12:39 PM
like eastie said before, i think you'd be better off comparing the rlxi to the 197. personally i hate the hop over so i would not consider the lx. a fair price for the 197 should be about 30-33.

ski36short
04-27-2006, 01:05 PM

'Cuz you can't get a powerslot! Other than my club's past Sportster, I thought that 'Bu's with less than the 340hp had a really mushy pull. We have a Response 320hp this year so we'll see how that feels...

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 06:38 PM
OK, my wife has given me the go-ahead to shop for a newer boat as long as it's an open bow. I demo'd one boat last night and will try another one on Saturday......wondering about pricing on these.....I don't think NADA is very accurate..searched flip sell and ski-it-again and boattrader.com for comparisons without much luck..where else can I look to come up with valuation?

Here's the scoop:

Boat #1:
2004 Prostar197
245 hours
310hp engine
no extras
Skied behind it and drove it last night.....awesome!!!!

Boat #2: (OK, I'm afraid to even say this but here goes....)
2004 Malibu Response LX
349 hours
340HP Monsoon Engine
PPass, heater, shower, CD Player w/ 4 speakers, wake wedge

Bank and insurance are all set to go......wife approves of both....

Thoughts on fair pricing????
Ok, whats the pricing on your considerations here?

erkoehler
04-27-2006, 06:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Mastercraft-Pro-Tournament-Team-197-w-tower_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63686QQitemZ46353 69648QQrdZ1

There's another option :) Plenty of power for footin!

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 06:50 PM
There's another option :) Plenty of power for footin!
How do you know what price range he is looking?

erkoehler
04-27-2006, 06:55 PM
How do you know what price range he is looking?

PM's....they work well :)

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 06:59 PM
PM's....they work well :)
What are the prices of the two boats he started this with?

schmaltzy
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
We bought a 2004 Tournament Team 197 last July for 35,000 - 275 hours with all the trimmins - just my two cents

NORTHERN LIGHTS
04-28-2006, 04:45 PM
paid 38k for a 2004 tournament team loaded with 125hrs.
For 30k their are 197 out there with under 250hrs and mcx. problem now is When you are buying the boat. Always remember--offer what you want to pay, the worst that can happen is they say no. bought a few houses that way. you never know what the seller will say. desperate people do desperate things.

skitilldark
04-29-2006, 11:08 AM
and can you REALLY tell that extra 30 hp difference?

skitilldark
04-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Here's the best argument; Boat # 1: 240 MC hours vs Boat # 2: 340 Malibu hours. which would you guys rather spend?

Workin' 4 Toys
04-29-2006, 11:14 AM
and can you REALLY tell that extra 30 hp difference?
I am going to go out on a limb here, and say yes.
I want it when I need it, and I never want to wish I had it.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Here's the best argument; Boat # 1: 240 MC hours vs Boat # 2: 340 Malibu hours. which would you guys rather spend?

I still haven't seen the prices of these two boats he is comparing. Not that it would matter IMO, the MC of course, but it wouldbe nice to know $.

skitilldark
04-29-2006, 11:23 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here, and say yes.
I want it when I need it, and I never want to wish I had it.

I don't know, maybe it was just the difference in the engines, but I had a 310 in my old boat and now have a 330 MCX and the only real difference I can tell is maybe some additional top end.

JohnnyB
04-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Workin' 4 Toys...

I didn't post the asking prices because I was fishin' for some resources or thoughts on price.....per yesterday's PM, I bought the 2004 PS197...

I will tell you that asking prices were:

Malibu Response LX: $25,900.00
Mastercraft PS197: $31,500.00

I offered what I was willing to pay on the PS197 (below asking) and feel I got a fair deal on a very clean boat.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Boat #1:
2004 Prostar197
245 hours
310hp engine
no extras

So the asking price of this boat was $31,500.00,
I got it now, thanks.;)

JohnnyB
04-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Yup.....Workin' 4 Toys, Erk, Datdude, thanks for links and offers to help in my search!!!

Has anybody here had any luck buying vehicles/boats on ebay??? I'm very leary of ebay for items like this...

Workin' 4 Toys
04-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Yup.....Workin' 4 Toys, Erk, Datdude, thanks for links and offers to help in my search!!!

Has anybody here had any luck buying vehicles/boats on ebay??? I'm very leary of ebay for items like this...
I thought you said you bought one.....
And I am not a fan of ebay (big ticket items) now with all the new scams. I am very skeptical.

JohnnyB
04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Me buy off e-bay???? I'm just like you, man....very leary of buying big ticket items off of e-bay. I'm way too meticulous about my stuff to not go scour every inch of a car or boat or other toy BEFORE I start to talk price or even bother to talk price. If it isn't to my standards for upkeep, price will never come up....

The MC was a local boat that I found through word-of-mouth. The BU was on BoatTrader.com. I bought my last boat off of BoatTrader and must've looked at a dozen boats before finding it.

Footin
04-30-2006, 10:27 AM
I look forward to seeing pictures of the new to you 197.

I would like to foot behind one this summer so I can justify buying one next year and I agree the 310 should have a ton of pull.

erkoehler
05-01-2006, 01:05 AM
congrats on the purchase....PICS!

Kevin 89MC
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to admit, but my FIRST e-bay purchase was for a '96 Land Cruiser. I got a heck of a deal, and it was from a dealer, but I was very nervous when I ended up with the high bid. I don't think I'll ever do it again. I think I used up all my good karma on that one!