PDA

View Full Version : Slaloms into Combos

LakePirate
04-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Well, I bought the wife a new ski last year hoping that she would learn to slalom. She tried to get up this past weekend, but was unsuccessful. She expressed interest in really perfecting skiing on combos before she tried again. Now here comes the question - Has anyone every bought a couple of year old slaloms and turned them into combos? I skied the combos we have last year when teaching the wife how to drive and it was like being on a pair of trick skis. Just looking for a way to make the wife's life a little easier.

SKI*MC
04-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Find some old Tompsons, cheap, wood, ok for learning i guess.. Or you can get a crappy pair out of overtons or something.

LakePirate
04-25-2006, 11:38 PM
F Or you can get a crappy pair out of overtons or something.

That is what I am trying to circumvent. We have the crappy combos from overtons. We also have a pair of Dick Pope Jrs but they need some work before I would put her on them.

erkoehler
04-25-2006, 11:40 PM
I bought a pair of combos for the boat last summer. They are Connelly's. My cousins use them often, and seem to like them....

88 PS190
04-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Most decent slalom sticks don't track well on their flats. So if she's not progressing and edging they'll be hard to ski.

bradamerry
04-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Most decent slalom sticks don't track well on their flats. So if she's not progressing and edging they'll be hard to ski.
Great point...................

wakesport
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I also got a pair of Connelly Response Combos for beginers. They work very well.

I taught my wife to ski two years ago when I bought my boat. She is a very aggresive downhill skier but had never water skied. She saw me slalom and then tried the combos. Her response was "this is stupid I want to go on one". After multiple pulls (she just would not give up) she was up on one. Two weeks later she demoed a comp. ski and bought a Connelly Concept. Now she has all the other gear including a dry suit so that we can start as soon as the ice is off the lake (which it now is and we have been out several times).

I bought a pair of combos for the boat last summer. They are Connelly's. My cousins use them often, and seem to like them....

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 12:42 PM
This is what my wife used to go from pairs to slalom. She used it for 5-6 years before upgrading (way too long). This is great ski to slowly begin slalom. All of our friends uses it to start. It is so wide that water starts are easy and it even accepts to be ridden on the flat.
:twocents:

88 PS190
04-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Aren't skis like that kinda like the moped jokes?

A whole lot of fun until your friends see you.

Personally I would rather see you teach her to get up using either a boom or a deep V handle, and a good floaty life vest.

If you get her on one of the wide skis, she may be difficult to convince that she should try to ride a more narrow ski. That's just been my experience with these circumstance, sometimes the crutches get easier than learning to walk with out.

pilot02
04-27-2006, 04:30 PM
LP, IF you don't have a boom, bring her out and we'll put her on mine. Won't take her any time to learn.

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Back 10-12 years ago when my wife started slalom, she had no intentions of being performant. She only wanted to have fun with ease behind the boat (a 15' Peterborough with 90HP evenrude back then). This ski was exactly what she needed.
Today our friends (wives and kids) all uses it to learn and nobody ever made fun of this ski. It was designed for a specific purpose: being easy for beginners. Obrien must have succeded into doing thsi since the Freecarve is still in the market after about 15 years and still exactly the same shape (different cosmetic only).
My point of view is this ski is a lot more fun than combi skis with almost the same surface with only one ski. It is the NOT same as a real slalom ski. Unfortunately I never tried the Freecarve myself as her binding are XS-S and I would need to drill new holes in the ski just to try it myself... :noface:

As a real slalom ski the HO Venture would be a better ski as it has a wide tip but this is a different story and thread... Look at the other thread "a new ski" : the Venture, Charger and Magnum are the same skis but different lenth.
JC

CoFooter
04-27-2006, 05:00 PM
LakePirate, if your wife is just struggling with the deepwater start, why don't you get her an old combo with a loose boot that she can step out of once she gets up. Assuming she has a RTP on her slalom, should be a piece of cake. My wife has slalomed for years, but hurt her back earlier this year. She has been dropping the ski and gets the best of both worlds - easy up, and still gets to slalom. Kind of stating the obvious, but didn't see that option listed here.