PDA

View Full Version : Anyone camp at Cumberland State Park?

slalomskifreak
04-25-2006, 09:04 PM
A few of us are taking boats to Cumberland State Park this year. Never been. We will be tent camping. Any suggestions on the best sites in the campground? Places to ski/board? Shoud we get a slip in the marina or not? That type of stuff. Any help would be great.

Curt

SkiDog
04-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Are you talking about Cumberland Island State park off the coast of Ga.? If so, there is NO place to ski around there.

slalomskifreak
04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Naw, Lake Cumberland, KY. Heard lots of great things about the lake.

6ballsisall
04-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Naw, Lake Cumberland, KY. Heard lots of great things about the lake.
Mag Red has a houseboat on the lake, he'd be a good one to ask. Also try Jeremy79, he lives close by. Also I believe DRNautica lives on the lake too

slalomskifreak
04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Thank you for the info, I will try to get in touch with them. Guess we have some friends that will have a houseboat there also at Grider Hill. Haven't done houseboating yet either.

Curt

Mag_Red
04-26-2006, 09:29 PM
I camped at the State park like in 1976 :D It was nice back then. I don't even remember if I kept the boat at the marina or not :confused: I do remember that General Burnside was *****in' for campin. Used to camp there with two girls every week-end back in mi college days. :banana:

The end of the lake you are going is great.........lots of inlets and long creeks to get lost in.

6ballsisall
04-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Somehow I bet those were memorable weekends Mag! Two girls, one of you??? :toast:

DrNautica
04-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Slolomskifreak,

Cumberland is the best. There's several ways you can go regarding camping. First, there are a fair number of usable "campsites" which you can access from the Lake itself. I use quotes here because this would be true shoreline camping with zero facilities. Keep in mind that the landscape around most of Cumberland is very rugged and very steep.

Option two would entail renting a spot in one of the Lake's many organized campgrounds. Lake Cumberland State Park and Grider Hill both have nice ones. There is also a very nice campsite just below the dam (litterally) (Kendall Recreation area) and a very close drive to the launch ramp (Halcomb's Landing) to put in on the Lake itself.

Try the following:
www.GriderHillDock.com
http://parks.ky.gov/resortparks/lc/index.htm
http://www.statedock.com/

I keep my houseboat at Grider Hill Dock which is only a couple of miles from the dam and about 15 miles (on water) from the State Dock (which is in Lake Cumberland State Park.)

Who is your buddy with the houseboat out of Grider? I may well know him (unless you mean he's renting a houseboat.)

Hoff1
04-27-2006, 07:34 AM
For that end of the lake, best skiing would be done up Beaver Creek and Otter Creek. Thereís a ski course down Beaver creek, but donít have a clue as to whoís it is. Hereís a link to some good maps of the lake that will direct you to these two creeks.

http://lakecumberland.com/maps.php

We camp exclusively on the islands between the state dock and the dam. As DrNautica said, zero facilities, but also zero people to complain if you have a noisy crowd. Also, you canít be 76-Falls for the party crowd.

OhioProstar
04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Burnside on the East end of the lake near Somerset has camping. 76 Falls is a must see, but can get really rough for a low draft boat with all the power boats coming and going.

Hey Dr.N do you know Larry Humble...I think he is around the Gator 1 area.

slalomskifreak
04-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Thank you again for all of the great information. We are really looking forward to the trip. I have made reservations at Cumberland State Resort Park for a couple of sites towards the back. I called the park and went with what the campground guy recommended. We will be down the end of June. Hope the water is calm. We are trailering the boats in/out each time. Slip fee's are pretty high. I have heard that Cumberland is like the Ozarks several years ago.

Anyone been to Osage Beach, MO (Lake of the Ozarks)? I can't imagine anything rougher than that. I submerged my boat on the 4th of July there. I spent 12 years in the Navy (submarines) and have never been that scared. Wish I had some pictures of the waves.

Dr Nautica, I sent you a PM with the name.

Curt