PDA

View Full Version : Raw water pump intake size?

Hunterb
04-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm having what appears to be a strange issue. In the process of unwinterizing the boat I decided to change some of the hoses as they were looking a little ragged. One of them was the hose going into the raw water pump. I thought it was 1 1/4" hard wall hose that I took off and threw away. I bought new 1 1/4" hard wall hose and it is too big for the intake of the raw water pump. When I measure the fitting on the pump it is definitely less than 1 1/4". Is there something missing? I can't find a hose that is slightly smaller than that which leads me to believe that something is haywire.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank in advance if you do.

Bruce

1984StarsandStripes
04-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Bump

I believe all raw water intakes for Fords engines are 1 inch in diameter and are quite a snug fit. Anybody else want to chime in?

Hunterb
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
It would definitely be a tight fit to stretch a 1" hose on there. I don't have a micrometer but I think the OD of the pump fitting is 1 3/16 (approximately). There is no way to make 1 1/4" hard wall hose work as it cannot be 'squished'. I may try softwall hose and see if it will squish enough to seal. The PO put a system in that allows me to hook a garden hose up to the hose prior to the pump, with a shut off valve to prevent the water from shooting out the intake on the bottom of the boat. He may have messed with something. It's actually a really handy way to be able to run the boat in the driveway so I'd like to be able to solve the hose problem and still keep the garden hose attachment. I also use the hose to blast any crap out of the intake strainer by opening the shut off valve and turning the garden hose water on high. The raw water pump stops most of the water going into the motor so I get high flow backwards through the tranny cooler and the strainer, hopefully cleaning it out.

I may try the softwall hose tonight, unless someone tells me I'm missing something.

Bruce

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 03:35 PM
My Ford has 1.25" (inner diameter) wire reinforced hoses. I think the hoses from the tstat to the manifolds are 1". PCM engines have 1" hoses.

Hunterb
04-25-2006, 08:19 PM
That's the same as mine Easty. The problem is that the water pump intake is definitely smaller than 1 1/4" and I cannot put the wire reinforced hose on without it spraying all over the place. I cannot figure out why it is smaller. I thought maybe there was supposed to be some kind of sleeve over the tube or something strange like that. I bought some 1 1/4" hose today and will try it tonight. Hopefully it works as it's nice enough up here now to get out on the weekend.

Bruce