PDA

View Full Version : Worried

93 Prostar 205
04-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I winterized my '93 Prostar 205 last fall. I de-winterized over the weekend and noticed that two of the three plugs on the port side of the block popped out. I am positive that drained the block on both sides by turning the petcock value as well as the manifold and all hoses last fall.

What are the odds that I cracked my block? Anyone experience this?

I'm too nervous to insert the two plugs and start the motor for fear of doing more damage. It started fine but I only ran it for 2 to 3 minutes until I noticed the water pouring out of the block.

I checked the oil after I ran it and it appears to be okay. The motor is mint - very well maintained. I did notice a little surface rust on the drain plugs.

Any thoughts - I have an appointment with a dealer in two weeks - but I'm feel the need for some April skiing this weekend.

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
:cry: :eek: :cry:

Dude, sorry to hear that:( Did you remove the two drains in the back of the manifolds?

I would let the dealer look at it if it were my boat, but maybe JimN or someone else will have more info for you.

nashvillematt
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
when you winterize always take a coathanger (metal) and make sure the rust has not built up inside the drains and is holding water.

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Did you just open the petcocks or did you remove those plugs altogether? If just the petcocks opened, did you see if they drained pretty thoroughly. I have watched mine and my father-in-law's clog up pretty readily. We both abandoned the petcocks last year for brass plugs, but always unscrewed the petcock assemply and poked around with a wire to be sure.

JohnnyB
04-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm no expert on this....however, if your block was cracked I think you'd have seen water in the oil after this short run. I would put the plugs back in....you can do this by putting red locktite around the edge and tapping them back into place with a block of wood and hammer. Once you've put them back, I would take it to the dealer and have them do a compression test on the engine and a leak test on the cooling loop...probably will cost you under $150 and should tell you if there is damage.

I'm told these plugs loosen up over time. Also, from what I hear, 351W are very tough blocks and hard to freeze damage.

Good luck. :toast:

mitch
04-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Did you just open the petcocks or did you remove those plugs altogether? If just the petcocks opened, did you see if they drained pretty thoroughly. I have watched mine and my father-in-law's clog up pretty readily. We both abandoned the petcocks last year for brass plugs, but always unscrewed the petcock assemply and poked around with a wire to be sure.

Yup, brass plugs are the only way to go. Hope everything turns out OK for ya!

93 Prostar 205
04-24-2006, 11:06 PM
I heard the same about the 351W.

I guess I'll just have to wait 2 weeks before the dealer can get me in.

Thanks all.

jimmer2880
04-25-2006, 07:46 AM
I had the same exact thing happen to my old (other brand) boat, with a 351. I too firmly believe I got all the water out (I also run anti-freeze through just to be sure). I just put them back in & she ran just as strong as before.

Thrall
04-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Note to self: Replace petcock w/ brass plug!
Put new freeze plugs in it and run it. rRun for a couple minutes, check the oil, run a little more, check the oil. Have to get the engine up to temp unless you pull the thermostat so that the water will run thru the block.
If there's no water in the oil, or steam coming out the exhaust after the engine is warmed up, it's only a $2 problem.

mitch
04-25-2006, 11:46 AM
my local h/w store had the brass plug in the plumbing section for $1.59. Did the same thing on my previous MC

phecksel
04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I heard the same about the 351W.

I guess I'll just have to wait 2 weeks before the dealer can get me in.

Thanks all.
Replace the freeze plugs and start it up and run it. What are you going to do, ruin the engine?

daveg
04-25-2006, 12:34 PM
I have had this happen to my old boat (other brand) with a 351 PCM. I think its just an issue of coeffient of linear thermal expansion (COLTE). Different types of metals contract (cold) or expand (hot) at different rates. The plugs probably just got cold, contracted and fell out. Tap them back in until they are seated firmly, run the motor for a short period (with hose or fake-a-lake for water supply) and check it out for signs of trouble (water in oil, or signs of cracked black, etc). It sounds as though you were very careful about getting all the water out, so my guess is you are probably okay.

You can also do your own compression test very easily. Your local rental store rents compression testers for around $5-10/day. Take out each plug one at a time, screw the compression tester in, crank the engine for a few seconds, and check out the compression. All cylinders should be within approx. 10% of each other.

93 Prostar 205
05-08-2006, 05:19 PM
My boat is being serviced as I write. One of the freeze plugs was behind a motor mount so they needed to pull the motor - an extra 3 to 5 hours of screwing around.

I'm waiting on the call to see if the block is cracked. Couldn't they just have tapped in the plug without taking the motor mount off?

AirJunky
05-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Seems like they could prop up or hang the engine from above, then remove the mount & replace the freeze plug without removing anything else.